BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently out of town and when I left my hotel this morning my SES light came on after about 3 minutes and the car started running like crap.

I stopped, turned the car off and restarted and it has not happened again since.

Anyone have a clue? I'm about 200 miles from home and have to drive there tomorrow.

??????

·
Registered
590 Posts
mricorp said:
I am currently out of town and when I left my hotel this morning my SES light came on after about 3 minutes and the car started running like crap.

I stopped, turned the car off and restarted and it has not happened again since.

Anyone have a clue? I'm about 200 miles from home and have to drive there tomorrow.

??????
If you drove it for a few miles after the restart and the light didn't come back on and the car runs fine then I would probably chance the ride home. Could be an intermittent problem but I would check it when you get back home.

Good luck
Joe

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Pick up the Peake Research tool and you'll be able to investigate SES lights on your own. I've saved some time by using this to decide if I need service or not. You can also reset the SES light with it. It will show you stored codes as well. www.peakeresearch.com It's also small enough to be kefp in your car.

My 2cents...you probably have an exhaust camshaft position sensor that's going bad.

:cheers:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hopefully as sugested its a sensor. If you switch off and on re-start it runs crap , then i recon its A Vanos unit. I only say that as its the same symptoms i had, but mine wouldnt re-set after start-up.

Good luck and here is to an intermittent sensor..!

:haha:

mricorp said:

??????

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Peake Research Tool I purchase a couple of months ago and used once. Since I have sold my beast....I am willing to sell it for cheap. I paid ~$140.00 new...will sell for any reasonable offer plus buyer pays shipping. Please send me an email at [email protected] if interested. Thanks, Don

hudson said:
If you drove it for a few miles after the restart and the light didn't come back on and the car runs fine then I would probably chance the ride home. Could be an intermittent problem but I would check it when you get back home.

Good luck
Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts