BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have an 02 M5 with 17,500 miles - and have noticed the SES light come on three times in the last two weeks. It only seems to come on after slight heat soak (stop for 5 minutes, restart again). It goes off after about 20 miles of driving and/or several restarts.

I checked the gas cap and switched back to 76 gas from Chevron and the light has not yet come back on. If I bring it to the dealership, will they be able to tell what triggered the light even if it's not currently illuminated?

Thanks for your help!

-Matt

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
matt310 said:
Hi Everyone,

I have an 02 M5 with 17,500 miles - and have noticed the SES light come on three times in the last two weeks. It only seems to come on after slight heat soak (stop for 5 minutes, restart again). It goes off after about 20 miles of driving and/or several restarts.

I checked the gas cap and switched back to 76 gas from Chevron and the light has not yet come back on. If I bring it to the dealership, will they be able to tell what triggered the light even if it's not currently illuminated?

Thanks for your help!

-Matt
I just went through the SES light, and found a solution for my problem through PowerChip. Search for my recent thread, of SES / SS Headers.

In any event, what I learned, with my sporadic illumination of SES light was that the trigger codes are saved in the computer until they are scanned (and reset?). So, even though your light is not illuminating, it is my belief that the dealer can still read the trigger codes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this. I'm moderately concerned that this is the beginning of VANOS failure so I'm not going to jump to modify anything just yet. I hear tapping and clicking, and it's a bit louder than I remember it - and it emits the noise even when the motor's warm - so I'll probably take her in to the shop to see what's going on.

-M

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
matt310 said:
Thanks for this. I'm moderately concerned that this is the beginning of VANOS failure so I'm not going to jump to modify anything just yet. I hear tapping and clicking, and it's a bit louder than I remember it - and it emits the noise even when the motor's warm - so I'll probably take her in to the shop to see what's going on.

-M
Could also be CPS, another not infrequent issue. No harm to the motor, just doesn't run as well. Dealer can read the codes.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
323 Posts
Right ...good news and bad news......................

I had exactly this problem , however sometimes the light stayed on for a day or so . For me it was bad news, being vanos failure........and 1 day later ( yes 1 day ) the vanos unit on the other bank went as well. The clue was that on startup the engine fires , and runs a little rough for about 2-3 seconds ( as though its being over fueled )before running normally .
Eventually when the vanos fails it runs as though its only firing on 6 cylynders or less . Id get the fault codes read as it could well be just a sensor/connection. Apparently the clue to vanos failure was the rought idle on startup for 3 secs.

good luck and heres to a faulty sensor...!

:biggrin:
matt310 said:

-M

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am definitely getting the rough idle upon startup. The car still feels fast, but 400hp fast? I can't be sure.

I just had it in for an Inspection I at South Bay BMW and expressed my concerns about the rattling/tapping and they attributed it to valve lash. Hopefully now with the fault codes stored in the computer, they'll be able to determine the root cause.

I know the Vanos is the timing and lift system, which sounds like it could be a pretty major repair, which leads me to some questions:

1 - Is this something I need to pick and choose which dealership performs the work?
2 - Is the Vanos on this engine different than any other BMW engines from a design standpoint?
3 - Should only M-techs work on this type of repair and if so, how can I tell the dealership has them?

Thanks for any advice!

-Matt

·
Registered
164 Posts
matt310 said:
Thanks for the replies. I am definitely getting the rough idle upon startup. The car still feels fast, but 400hp fast? I can't be sure.

I just had it in for an Inspection I at South Bay BMW and expressed my concerns about the rattling/tapping and they attributed it to valve lash. Hopefully now with the fault codes stored in the computer, they'll be able to determine the root cause.

I know the Vanos is the timing and lift system, which sounds like it could be a pretty major repair, which leads me to some questions:

1 - Is this something I need to pick and choose which dealership performs the work?
2 - Is the Vanos on this engine different than any other BMW engines from a design standpoint?
3 - Should only M-techs work on this type of repair and if so, how can I tell the dealership has them?

Thanks for any advice!

-Matt
Just my $.02, and sorry if this has been said or has occurred to you already.

Don't overthink. It's easy to imagine all sorts of coincidences as a VANOS failure or other big problem. It may be, may be not. Mine would come and go and I brought it to my dealer, who was able to read the codes and replaced the tank vent. No more SES. And believe me, if MY dealer can read the codes ANY dealer can.

My car runs rough, especially in the lower gears, but because I don't have an SES light and I've reported it to the dealer twice with no result I'm attributing it to normal behavior. Let the dealer see what shows up: might be VANOS or something similar, might not. One thing at a time and don't try connecting dots just yet.

Good Luck.

=NLK=

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well id say dont panic and as suggested dont jump to conclusions just yet.
Get the codes read first.

There is a lot of scaremongering about VANOS units. It stems from the E46 M3 which do have an apetite for them and on these M3s replacement involves the removal of the cylinder head and the job ( parts and labour) comes to about £ 2500.00. Vanos units cannot be repaired. Incidentally the M3 only has one vanos unit on the inlet camshaft. You can tell a vanos unit is getting to the end of its life because it starts to growl as it gets worn. Rev the engine and let the revs drop.......... a little noise is ok.........a big growl is not and you should allow for a replacement when negotiating to buy. This subject is well documented.
M5 have two vanos units , one for each bank of the V8 and it appears i have just been unlicky , as my dealer says he has only repaced vanos units on a handfull of M5s. On the M5 the vanos fails mostly due to the hydraulic pressure pump failing as the vanos unit operates at a pressure of about 1000 psi ( im reliably informed). Now my vanos unit failed on start-up so there was no mechanical/ other damage , and what i would ask your dealer is do the units fail whilst on the move and if so does it cause any other damage ? If the answer is no , then i would get the codes read and if they all come back ok , then keep going until it fails. It may not.
Does the car feel any faster now the vanos has been replaced..? Marginaly.

good luck and dont worry

:D

matt310 said:

Thanks for any advice!

-Matt

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Ronin M5 said:
I just went through the SES light, and found a solution for my problem through PowerChip. Search for my recent thread, of SES / SS Headers.
QUOTE]

Bummer. Today, my dreaded SES light has reappeared...:confused2

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got my car back - the O2 sensor(s) were replaced. The car still runs a bit rough at idle, but no more SES light, which is good. Thanks for your help, guys.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
My SES light disappeared and has been gone for a few weeks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts