BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SES light was on Thurs night and again Friday morning so, after an appropriate period of cursing, I scheduled an appointment for Monday a.m. Then, as my Friday afternoon miracle, it was no longer lit on my way home. Should I take it in Monday anyway or "if it ain't broke . . . " Would you take it in anyway?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Take it in. I found out last year that just because the light goes out it doesnt mean somethings not amiss.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Yep- drive carefully and bring it in ASAP. Can the SES light be red? On some BMWs they will actually have both a red and yellow light. Obviously red= stop at once and bring it in. Yellow= bring it in asap.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Yes, bring it in to service. The light is made to re-set itself after 25 starts. Even though the light is off, the fault codes are still stored. It is probably something minor like a gas cap. Good Luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
638 Posts
Jaeger said:
My SES light was on Thurs night and again Friday morning so, after an appropriate period of cursing, I scheduled an appointment for Monday a.m. Then, as my Friday afternoon miracle, it was no longer lit on my way home. Should I take it in Monday anyway or "if it ain't broke . . . " Would you take it in anyway?
never ignore it... mine momentarily flashed under heavy braking once and never came on again.. i insisted the dealer take a look and the found the secondary air pump had gone.. got it replaced under warranty...

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I have a different view on the SES light. It can be caused by so many things that if it went out fairly quickly, I might hold off on taking it in unless your under warranty.

The SES light can actually be caused by your front seats! I forget the exact fault, but this actually happend to me. The dealer told me that so many things run through that light that if it should go out quickly, he would wait for it to come on again.

Just anoth opinion,

Mark

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
OK, get ready! I'm about to quote from my favorite source--my '02 OWNER's MANUAL :hihi:

Here goes:

page 17 -"Service Engine Soon-If the indicator lights up either continuously or intermittently, this indicates a fault in the emissions-related electronics systems. Although the vehicle remains operational, you should have the systems checked at your BMW center at the earliest possible opportunity. for additional information: refer to OBD interface socket page 121"

page 121-"an illuminated indicator informs you of the need for sevice, not of the need to stop the vehicle. However the systems should be checked by your BMW center at the earliest possible opportunity"

Next is a section on the blinking or flashing light followed by the following:

"If the filler cap is not properly tighened, the OBD system may detect vapor leakage and respong by triggering the warning lamp. If the filler cap is subsequently retighened, the lamp should go out again withing a few days"

Soooooo... did you do anything with your gas cap?

And since it looks like your car may not be under warranty still (?)-an '00 I'll throw this bit in in case the cause of your SES turns out to be a defect in any of the following. I found this in my other sacred document, The Service and Warranty Info book for '02:

page 39 "California Emission Warranty Parts List
The following components are covered for defects by the California Emission Control System Limited Warranty for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first."
For the M5 it has listed:
"Intake Air Collector (Plenum)
Intake Manifold
Throttle Body and Gasket
Throttle Actuator
Vanos Camshaft Postition Controller
Engine Control Module
Idle Speed Control Valve
Fuel Rail
Knock Sensor
Fuel Tank
Exhaust Manifold
Exhaust Manifold With Catalyst
Three Way Catalytic Converter"

Good luck!
Anita

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anita said:
Good luck!
Anita
Wow, thanks for the great info Anita, especially on the emissions warranty. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's either nothing or a covered repair.
Brandon

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Anita, well, at least it seemed like it was running better when I picked it up. I doubt a sensor would matter so maybe it's those two coats of Zaino I put on this weekend that made it run better.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Jaeger said:
Thanks Anita, well, at least it seemed like it was running better when I picked it up. I doubt a sensor would matter so maybe it's those two coats of Zaino I put on this weekend that made it run better.
As I'm sure the guys above will tell you too, a nice wash and wax job on an M5 always adds HP and performance :hihi:

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Anita said:
As I'm sure the guys above will tell you too, a nice wash and wax job on an M5 always adds HP and performance :hihi:
Not as much as a set of headers and a pair of fuzzy dice!

Mark cherrsagai

1 - 14 of 14 Posts