BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:sad1: :sad1:
The SES light on my M5 keeps coming on and off so I ordered a scan tool from obd2.com to attempt to solve the issue. The codes read as follows:

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR B CIRCUIT (B1)
CAMSHAT POSITION SENSOR B CKT INTERMITANT (B2)

B CAM POS TIMING – OVER-RET (B2)

I used the search tool and found that the CAM Position Sensor is a known issue on the M5 and believe that they should be replaced. I just bought the car but the old owner informed me that the car has, Dinan stage 3 software, a custom exhaust and custom intakes. He had also informed me that the car would through the SES light if it were not in sport mode ever since he had upgraded the software from stage 1. The car currently despite the codes feels powerful and is definitely not in limp mode.

Can anyone confirm that I should replace the CAM Position Sensors and if so tell me from the description of the code which CAM sensors I need to replace. I read a good DIY description of the procedure (thank you) and would like to order the parts and put them in myself. Thank you in advance for any advice and help you may be able to provide.

Thanks,

Chase

·
Registered
12,896 Posts
__C__ said:
:sad1: :sad1:
The SES light on my M5 keeps coming on and off so I ordered a scan tool from obd2.com to attempt to solve the issue. The codes read as follows:

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR B CIRCUIT (B1)
CAMSHAT POSITION SENSOR B CKT INTERMITANT (B2)

B CAM POS TIMING – OVER-RET (B2)

I used the search tool and found that the CAM Position Sensor is a known issue on the M5 and believe that they should be replaced. I just bought the car but the old owner informed me that the car has, Dinan stage 3 software, a custom exhaust and custom intakes. He had also informed me that the car would through the SES light if it were not in sport mode ever since he had upgraded the software from stage 1. The car currently despite the codes feels powerful and is definitely not in limp mode.

Can anyone confirm that I should replace the CAM Position Sensors and if so tell me from the description of the code which CAM sensors I need to replace. I read a good DIY description of the procedure (thank you) and would like to order the parts and put them in myself. Thank you in advance for any advice and help you may be able to provide.

Thanks,

Chase
Don't know the codes, but CPS are not an unusual faultoccurance. I have had 2 or 3 replaced under warranty. Do a search, there is a writeup of how to do it yourself. The intake CPS is somewhere around $80-$100 IIRC, I think that is just the part. Pacific BMW is known to have good internet pricing on parts if you can confirm which one needs replacing. There was also a thread on which bank (right or left sitting in the drivers seat) is 1-4 and 5-8.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I'm not sure which bank your code is coming from, otherwise it would be a relatively easy switch out (I heard the exhaust banks are harder to get to). The codes from the Peake tool say which bank, and for US cars, banks 1-4 is passenger side, while 5-8 is on the driver's side. Get the CPS from Pacific.. it will be a long wait to talk to their guy, but stay on hold for INTERNET parts..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts