BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

I got my first SES light last night but the car runs fine. Plenty of power and nothing weird. The light is still on this morning.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jordan

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you just filled up perhaps it is the usual gas cap ajar problem.

Otherwise, it could be a tank vent valve which was my problem. The light would come on when the tank went just below 1/2 and go out within a day or so of filling up.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

Michael.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Do you have aftermarket exhausts fitted? It could be a failed Lambda sensor. Your dealer can run a diagnostic and tell you.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car has 1/4 tank of gas. So not the gas cap.

I do have a Kelleners exhaust and x-pipe.

Here is the funny thing, the light is now off. Just had the car washed. Light was on when I brought it in and off when I left.

Strange huh?

Thanks and keep them coming.....

Jordan

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Not strange at all! THere are many things that can set off the SES light without a decrease in oerformance. This used to drive me crazy so I bought a Peake Research tool and can look up my own codes (specific to the engine in your BMW, and NOT just generic OBD-II) codes and, if the code is not something serious, I can reset the SES light with the tool. Small, easy to use...I carry it in the car. I can check a code and determine if the problem is serious enough that I need to get the beast to the dealer asap. Price about $149...money well spent.
:cheers:

·
10,458 Posts
XrayMD said:
Not strange at all! THere are many things that can set off the SES light without a decrease in oerformance. This used to drive me crazy so I bought a Peake Research tool and can look up my own codes (specific to the engine in your BMW, and NOT just generic OBD-II) codes and, if the code is not something serious, I can reset the SES light with the tool. Small, easy to use...I carry it in the car. I can check a code and determine if the problem is serious enough that I need to get the beast to the dealer asap. Price about $149...money well spent.
:cheers:
I'm 100% with Steve here. I have one just for peace of mind, if nothign else. It really bugs me to think that something could be wrong with the car... Not that you can necessarily do anything about it!
Mike

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered one, will be here in the morning. Going up to the dealer today to have them read the fault for me just incase.

Thanks Guys!

Jordan

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK. It was CPS bank one and Vanos bank 2. They tested the Vanos and it tested fine. So just a CPS for me under my aftermarket warranty.

Best,

Jordan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts