BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I experienced a "Service Engine Soon" light the next day after I left the shop with my SuperSprint Headers and Metallic Racing Cats, and PowerChip ECU upgrade. The car felt rough.

I pulled over, turned the car off and restarted it. The light was gone upon restart.

About 10 days passed.

Then today, the "Service Engine Soon" light went on again. I pulled over, filled up with gasoline (Premium, as always), made sure the fuel cap was securely tightened, and the "SES" light is still on, even after start up.

Just wondering if you have any thoughts on possible causes / suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Mines been on eversince my header and cat install. Ive had them cleared(faults) a bunch of times. Its the cats setting off the faults. Basically, i just learned to live with the light. It is going on a year now.
No other problems though.
My opinion, i wouldnt trade the sound and power. Id rather have the SES light on.

josh.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The dreaded SES light.

When is comes to using SS small metal bed cats this situation does come up once in a awhile…. In fact more times than not. The way to verify that the SS small metal bed cats are causing this issue is to have a code scan done and if the code is “cat inefficiency” then it will have been confirmed.

One of things that I do that seems to help is to make certain that there are NO leaks in the exhaust particularly at the collector clamps. I usually will retighten them a few times after the car has gone through complete warme ups…..a pair of 17mm wrenches will do the trick. I also use a small amount of high temp sealer at this joint during assembly.

The SES light with this situation will come and go, typically the small metal bed cats warm up much slower than OEM and so if you do a lot of stop and o driving the SES will present itself once in awhile. It will not reset with a key recycle, it requires real time data through the DME to confirm that the condition no longer exists and then it will reset itself….or it will have to be rest with a scanner or GT1.

If it is “cat inefficiency” rest assured that this will have NO affect on the manner than the car runs. This code does not modify the tuning etc….. it is simply putting you on notice hat there maybe a problem with the cats.

I hope that this helps.

Shadowman

Ronin M5 said:
I experienced a "Service Engine Soon" light the next day after I left the shop with my SuperSprint Headers and Metallic Racing Cats, and PowerChip ECU upgrade. The car felt rough.

I pulled over, turned the car off and restarted it. The light was gone upon restart.

About 10 days passed.

Then today, the "Service Engine Soon" light went on again. I pulled over, filled up with gasoline (Premium, as always), made sure the fuel cap was securely tightened, and the "SES" light is still on, even after start up.

Just wondering if you have any thoughts on possible causes / suggestions.

Thanks!

·
10,455 Posts
you should get your codes read, or buy a peak tool. I'm wondering about your rough idle, as the cat efficiency code should not cause that.

FWIW, i've had my headers with OE cats since december, no ses lights other than one day at the track where I had some random misfire. Could have possibly been fuel related.
Mike

·
Registered
784 Posts
mottati said:
you should get your codes read, or buy a peak tool. I'm wondering about your rough idle, as the cat efficiency code should not cause that.

FWIW, i've had my headers with OE cats since december, no ses lights other than one day at the track where I had some random misfire. Could have possibly been fuel related.
Mike
Mike:

As we discussed when you were here. the OEM cats rarely if ever throw the code/SES light however in this case he also had the SS small metal bed cats installed....... they are slower to warm up which seems to upset the system.

As for the idle, I agree this is why I too suggested him confirming the codes. The cats will not cause this symptom.

Shadowman

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
I have a recent SES light which shows up as cat efficiency. Since I have the stock cats, dealer is replacing the bad one under warranty. Shadowman's advice about checking for leaks is accurate. You might also want to do a search for "o2 simulator". The second o2 sensor is not getting the right reading vis-a-vis the first one, so you can "trick" the computer into thinking it is getting the correct reading by using the simulator. SES light should then be gone permanently if the SES light is from the o2 sensor readings.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Usually when my codes are read, it comes up ...post cat....
this last time it came up ..post cat... and also a ...pre cat.. fault.
Im not sure excatly what it means, but my tech told me there might be a problem down the road since it wasnt the typical post cat fault.
So far, no problems.

josh.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Seems those aftermarket cats simply arent doing their job. Cats generally should not be the most restrictive part of any exhaust system. Suggest simply switching to a better cat. I remember for the NSX, one of the leading aftermarket company's aftermarket cats were simply a pair of big truck-sized "universal cats" with custom flanges and the proper bends welded on to each end. No rocket science here.

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
In California it is a big deal,as CEL or SES light will not allow smog.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jimmyz2 said:
In California it is a big deal,as CEL or SES light will not allow smog.
Yikes. I hope it goes away.

Thanks Everyone for the advice.

I scheduled an appointment with Sterling BMW to read the code on Tuesday morning.

I hope to get a code reader after.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Who did you finally decide to do the install?

Ronin M5 said:
Yikes. I hope it goes away.

Thanks Everyone for the advice.

I scheduled an appointment with Sterling BMW to read the code on Tuesday morning.

I hope to get a code reader after.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Ronin... I posted about this problem last year after the same SES issue plagued me after installing SS headers and racing cats. I finally fixed the problem by installing a dual output O2 sensor simulator I purchased from www.o2simulator.com

I installed it right by the DME and it worked like a charm! No more Cat efficiency codes. Someone also posted with the proper wires for installation by the DME.

:cheers:

·
Banned
1,449 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2003 M5!!! said:
Who did you finally decide to do the install?
EvoSport did the install.

I just found out one of my friends has a Peake reader, with an adapter for reading my car, so I'm going to meet him today and check it out.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
See my post above and previous posts regarding a permanent fix for this. $25 for the O2 simulator.

·
Registered
450 Posts
There was also a good post about using spark plug fitments to extend back the O2s. I think it was by Keith. If you do a search with spark plug and ses and headers you should find it.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Ronin, what was your impression of Evosport? Aside from the SES light, how does the car feel in terms of power? Are you pleased and where is the power most notable?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
DME Connections for O2 simulator -Re: SES Light - After Headers

From BigBadBen as posted on bmwtips, here are the DME connections for the dual output O2 sensor simulator from www.o2simulator.com:

"For those that want to know what to wire for an ME 7.2, here are the pins/wire colours. 540iA Build 06/2000

Connector 2 on the main DME

O2 Signal Pin 17 Black and Blue
O2 Signal Pin 14 Black/white in my case, it should have been black

O2 Signal ground Pin 11 Yellow/blue
O2 Signal ground Pin 8 Yellow

O2 +12 VDC Large green wire near DME"

This was for a 540, but I think the connections may be the same.

Reactions: bimmerule
1 - 20 of 59 Posts