BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up my Beast on Saturday 02/26/05 from the seller when I experienced my first hiccup. After the oil was thoroughly warmed up and I got on the freeway, I stepped into the throttle to pass a few cars and the car started to hesitate and the SES light came on. I tried to accelerate again and the car felt and souded strange. So I immediately pulled off the freeway and parked it. I let the car sit far 15 minutes while my wife fed our infant daughter in the other car while I looked over the Beast. We then proceed back on the freeway and the car seemed fine when driven moderately, but when I tried to do another full throttle pass, the SES light once again came on and the car definately was not feeling right. Fortunately, I was able to have the car towed to a shop that day and have Richard Michelangelo take a look at the car. I left the car with him for the week and he found the following fault codes:

170 - Min Secondary Air Flow; 57 - Mass Air Flow Sensor; 38 - O2 Heater ??; 129 - Internal ??; 106 - Brake Switch.

He fixed the Brake Switch and reset the other codes. I picked up the car Thursday 03/04/05 and I drove it from his shop to my house. The car felt okay, however I really didn't step into the throttle that hard driving home.

This past Sunday 03/06/05, I wanted to take a drive with the wife and kid in the new Beast. Everything seem to be okay driving through town waiting for the oil to warm up. (Does it seem that the lights in the tach go out prematurely relative to the oil temp?) I got on the freeway and punched the throttle to pass a few cars and it was awesome, before I knew it we were doing around 120, very deceiving in this car. I slowed down to about 80, which felt like we were going real slow, so slow in fact I thought the speedometer was not accurate. Then I downshifted again for another thrill ride. That's when the car started to hesitate and felt like it was misfiring. the SES light came on and I started freaking out. I called Richard Michelangelo hoping he would answer his phone, because he is known to be in the shop sometimes on Sunday and he picked up. He told me to drive by so he could see what codes come up and go from there. The fault codes this time were:

196 - Misfire Cylinder #1; 0 - No Description; 6 - (ABS) Front Right Wheel Speed Sensor; 7 - (ABS) Front Left Wheel Speed Sensor

He reset the codes and the car was able to be driven back home. The problem I am having is that Richard Michelangelo lost his lease on his current shop and will be bouncing around a few shops until his new facility is complete in a few months. I like the way he approches working on cars and he is a good mechanic, but does not deal with a lot of E39 M5's. While he is in transition, I need to find another shop to use.

I will be going to either Bullet or Evosport or ??. The problem I have is that I have a hard time getting the car to anyshop midweek, which is another reason I like Richard, becuase I can always make arrangements with him to drop the car off on the weekend.

Does anyone have an idea what could be the problem before I take it to another shop? I just read a few other posts from this weekend on the very same problem of misfiring. Seems to possibly be CPS or MAF. Is there a way for someone not so familiar with engines to determine if these are the case visually. Any help would be apreciated. I have had my car for 2 weeks but have yet to enjoy it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not really sure what the problem may be. If I had to guess, I would try cleaning the MAF's and go from there. I just had my car serviced at AVUS Autosport in Glendale. They were great. I took it in on Saturday, and they rented a car for me to use while they had my car. They had 2 other m5's in the shop besides mine. These guys are really suppposed to know their way aroung M5's. I was noticing your name, do you ride Ducati's?

Peace, Hector

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Hector,

I recently sold an ST4s and have in the past had a Monster 900 and 916. The 916 was the most beautiful bike I have ever seen and still believe it is the most beautiful bike ever made, although it was a pain to ride around town. I was not going to sell it and planned on just keeping it in the living room as a piece of art with occasion use, however with a new child around sacrifices had to be made.

Nice to know about Avus since the wife works in Glendale and is not too far from where I work.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am going to have to agree with you on the 916. I have owned an 888 a 996, and two 996SPS's. I just sold my '01 SPS:crying: and bought a beast (of course it's red). :1: I have ridden these on the streets, but mostly on the track for the last 5 odd years. The SPS is totally unbelievable! I never ever thought I would get rid of my SPS, but my friend took a giant spill right in front of me, and that changed my thinking pretty quick. I have two daughters, 3 and 6, and that had a lot to do with my decision. If I ever ride again it will be strictly track riding.
Ducman69 said:
Hi Hector,

I recently sold an ST4s and have in the past had a Monster 900 and 916. The 916 was the most beautiful bike I have ever seen and still believe it is the most beautiful bike ever made, although it was a pain to ride around town. I was not going to sell it and planned on just keeping it in the living room as a piece of art with occasion use, however with a new child around sacrifices had to be made.

Nice to know about Avus since the wife works in Glendale and is not too far from where I work.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anybody have any input on the codes that I listed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts