BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has tripped the Service Engine Soon light 3 times in the last 5 months with a code 232 "tank breather valve". The car continues to run normally. Does anyone have experience with this? The remedy and any part numbers for the fix would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Bob

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Bob Uenaka said:
My car has tripped the Service Engine Soon light 3 times in the last 5 months with a code 232 "tank breather valve". The car continues to run normally. Does anyone have experience with this? The remedy and any part numbers for the fix would be appreciated.
Hey, Bob-

I threw that code recently, and it's the only persistent code I've had to date (78K miles). Since 'emissions equipment' is excluded from my extended warranty, and it has no bearing on vehicle performance, my 'remedy' was to have them re-set the OBD-II and go on my merry way. If memory serves, the light has not illuminated in the three weeks since the service.

That's the cheap [email protected] fix, but it's working for me!

-Dave

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Bob,

There is no effect on performance; don't worry. I had this problem on both of my M5s. Once the breather valve was replaced, the SES light never came back on.

'Rocket

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Bob,
I had this happen at least 3 or 4 times back in the spring/summer of 2002. My old (fired by me--HA HA) SA and tech would blame it on all kinds of things I was doing--letting my gas tank get to empty, not tightening the gas cap sufficiently, junk like that. They would reset everything and send me on my way. But like a bad penny, I would show up again. Finally, after three visits (6/02,7/02 and 9/02) they replaced the tank breather valve. I have a part # of 13-90-7-830-766 "breather valve"--under warranty so no price listed. Never a problem since!! Unfortunately, I don't have the original fault code #, so I hope this similar enough to be of help.
Good luck!
Anita

·
10,455 Posts
Bob, this is an emmissions component i think,related to the tank venting/charcoal canister iirc, so you might be covered under the california 7/70 (or is it 80) emissions warranty. I think I had this fail too, i noticed no performance difference, but have heard that it can cause a vacuum in the fuel tank and result in lower than needed fuel pressure, which can of course lead to drivability issues.
Mike

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for all the input. My service advisor, Nicole at Peter Pan BMW was super helpful and gave me lots of great info. The faulty breather valve that causes the 232 error code is located under the intake and requires quite a bit of labor to replace. The valve is emission system related, but not covered under the emission equipment warranty. I was told that this bad valve could lead to more serious emission system problems and poor performance if left alone.

I hope to have my local mechanic replace the valve and I plan to post a parts list and photos for future reference when the job is complete.

Thanks again,
Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bob,

Just a heads up on the work required, I took my car into the dealer this morning for a SES light and they just called me to say that they need to replace the breather valve. They tell me that it is a "huge" job and they will not be able to finish it today (its only 9:15 a.m.) and will have to keep the car over the weekend and finish on Monday. Fortunately I am still under the full warranty and it is covered.

Peter

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Bob:

This is common on many of the M5s I have seen, but as usual, they have all been replaced under warranty. I am very interested to see what is involved in replacing the valve. Thanks for providing the board with notes on the install, we are all very appreciative.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Once the valve has been replaced, does it have a tendency of needing to be replaced again? I just had mine replaced also...

Thanks! :M5launch:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Help, having an issue related to this code

- I bought a 2000 e39 about 2 months ago from a dealer located about 100 miles from me. It's got just over 100K on it now. Last month while driving the SES light came on, I had it checked out by the local mechanic and I was told error code 232 Tank Venting/Valve Function Test.

The dealer I bought it from promised to have the issue fixed. I brought it in, they performed a service that states: "INSPECTED PULLED CODE FOR SEC AIR INJECTION FLOW. DECARBED AIR SHUTOFF VALVE AND TUBE AND REINSTALLED. PERFORMED TEST AND PASSED ON BOTH BANKS."

- I drove the car home and just as I got off the freeway the SES light came back on!! So pissed. I took the car to get tested again to see what the code is and now it's error code P0441 = INCORRECT EVAP SYSTEM PURGE FLOW. Are the codes related? The dealer said I need to bring it back in to get serviced which is another long drive. They also informed me that the car is safe to drive. So yesterday I was driving on the freeway and I tacked the car out a bit to get into a different lane, as I was about to shift from 3rd to 4th I experienced a sudden loss of power and I managed to pull off and stop. The engine bogged between 500 and 1500 rpm, I tried to give gas but the car would just die if I did. So I let it sit for a few minutes, after start up the car drove perfectly fine. No loss of power or anything irregular, the SES light still on. I assumed I may have bounced off the rev limiter and the car went into safety mode.

- The next day I took the car to get washed and the rims detailed. I started the car and at start I got what seemed to be the safety mode again. The car bogged in between the same stage in the tachometer, could not give gas or the car would die. Shut it down, car drove perfectly fine again, now the SES light was off.

- I drove around a little bit in the last two days, a couple trips to the auto parts store (I replaced the gas cap), grocery station, gas station, and bank. While leaving the bank to come home the car did it again, bogged and would not let me drive. I let the car chill for a sec then started it, and voila drives perfect again with no loss of power or any loud sounds. I have informed the dealership of the issue and told them I refuse to drive it back, they are trying to set up a tow truck to come out here pick it up so they can service it again. To be honest at this point I don't even want to deal with them because they are not certified BMW Mechanics but they will do it for free.

Are there any obvious things I should look for here? Check under the hood, replace, etc...? Is whats happening caused by the safety mode or is it something else? Seems like it might be a MAFS issue or maybe vacuum but I'm new to this car. It's also intermittent which I don't understand because the car drives perfectly otherwise. And do you suggest I not drive it at all?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Your last problem sounds like Mafs to me too. That will likely be your problem dealer likely wont help but the first problem should be straight forward. The codes you reported are basically the same only one is OBDII and the other is a manufacturer code. It appears they pulled the first likely candidate and tested it and it was fine. Guess what they are lost but many good mechanics get lost in these cars. The experience of the board posts will tell you that if the valve tests OK then it is a failed charcoal cannister. Try and explain that to them and they will likely understand the logic.
As for the other problem try electrically unplugging the MAFs and see if the car runs better. Could be a week fuel pump but sounds more like MAFS.
Unplugging the MAFs will set a code so make sure you inform whoever is working on the car to not confuse them.
I would strongly suggest you find a good BMW Indy close to you these cars are not easy to diagnose and experience is required.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Help, having an issue related to this code

So I found a great BMW mechanic down the street from me by what reviews and my friend say. I have an appointment for tomorrow for full diagnostic.

But the thing is I drove the car again today for a few miles (smooth as could be), then stopped at the bank. Upon starting the car it started bogging and wanting to die. I restarted and it was bogging a bit still but I waited this time, after a minute the car regained itself and stopped bogging and let me give it gas until the rpm's became steady and the idle was smooth. While driving back home I heard a faint sound of what sounded like fluids moving through a pump from the rear of the vehicle. I immediately stopped and went to the back seat and removed it, the sound was slightly louder now. I put my ear to the gas tank and I could hear a bubbling sound, I couldn't pin point which pump it was coming from or if it is at all.

- Any ideas? I am thinking now that my car shutting down was not limp mode at all but possibly the fuel system. I replaced a fuel pump in my other 3 series and it was very easy. Not sure if that's what it is though.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
The car will heat soak when sitting. Heat soak does not bode well for MAF's on their way out. I agree that the MAF's may be at fault for this condition. The fuel pump can't be ruled out yet though. How old is the fuel filter?

I think you have 2 seperate issues though. The secondary air/tank pressure valve codes shouldn't affect the running of the car, only emissions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unfortunately i've only had the car for a few months so I don't know how old the fuel filter is. I will probably just take it in and see what the analysis is. I will keep you posted on the results.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So the mechanic found a whole in one of my crank case hoses. They were also both very mushy and replaced. I will see what happens. I have feeling this is not the culprit here though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts