BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the way to pick up my 540i/6 from service when the SES light came on in the M5 -- so I just swapped cars and left the M5. The SA checked it out yesterday and it was the "left bank exhaust cam sensor" if I have that right. I queried him, because I replaced two cam sensors just over 1 year ago and sure enough, this was the third one to go (I understand that there are four of them).

Is this strange that with 34k miles on an '01 I've had 3 of 4 cam sensors fail ? Is the cam sensor considered a consumable ? do they wear or is this failure ? is it just a matter of time before the 4th goes ?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My SA called me yesterday to say that BMW had shipped the wrong part and the correct part is on backorder -- so I picked up the car anyway because I need both cars today. The SES light is off ... for now.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Just found out two of my cam sensors went out :crying:

Dealer has them on order. Anything else I need to have him check or anything I need to know? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I just replaced one of mine a couple of weeks ago (first sensor to go out) and the car has been back to normal since then, but the SES came on again two days ago and then went away yesterday. I'm ordering a Peake tool before I go and send the car to the dealership, just to see what the codes are. The car is still driving well and doesn't have the symptoms that I had when the sensor was bad, so I hope it's not something more serious. The dealership initally wanted to change out the VANOS but I told them to take it step-wise because I'd rather switch out a $70 part and start looking before they throw a $3000 bill my way. And the car just passed 50,000 miles!

·
Registered
12,776 Posts
bayerischemotor said:
Sometimes the sensors just need a cleaning. Seems as if BMWNA is keen on changing parts.
I thought the problem with the CPS was the O ring goes bad and that is what really needs replacing, but since it is out, they do the whole sensor as part of the sensor can get scored. Is it just an electrical connection?
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I've had 1 cam sensor replaced and my car has 97,000 miles on it.

BTW, the dealer replaced it for free.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
bayerischemotor said:
Sometimes the sensors just need a cleaning. Seems as if BMWNA is keen on changing parts.
Have you cleaned prior?
What was your technique? Anyone else? - thx

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
tranck said:
I've had 1 cam sensor replaced and my car has 97,000 miles on it.

BTW, the dealer replaced it for free.
Are you kidding me? My dealer charged me an hour and a half of labor for it. I questioned them and they told me it was an exhaust side sensor and to get it out and clear the codes it took that long. I need to find a good independent mechanic.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Anzir said:
Are you kidding me? My dealer charged me an hour and a half of labor for it. I questioned them and they told me it was an exhaust side sensor and to get it out and clear the codes it took that long. I need to find a good independent mechanic.
I can't believe they charged you 1.5 hrs. It took me around 30 minutes to do it myself the first time...

As for clearing the codes, using the Peake tool takes all of 30 seconds to do...

This is exactly why I don't like how most dealerships work...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just changed two cam sensors last week I hear it is pretty comon on the S62grrrrrrr They have been just agrivating as hell to my motor throwing all sorts of crazy faults. We saw some pretty weird stuff come back from the engines brain it originaly said it was a cam sensor but the car was not really acting funny. I came back a second time and it said vanos problem but we later discovered that it was the cam sensors on both banks were bad I changed them and the car has been great. Turns out those cam sensors do go bad quickly in some cases and can cause ghost faults to occur. So if any get a cam sensor fault replace the Dam* thing and you will be good to go.;)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
vics said:
Have you cleaned prior?
What was your technique? Anyone else? - thx

This happened on my 330Ci, but BMW told me it was dirty and just needed a bit of cleaning, did it for free. And I don't know how they did it.

Also they said it's a fairly common problem, so the M5 should not be any different.

:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts