BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
This is not the usual suspect for PS fluid and no luck on searches since all the PS leak threads relate to the hoses... so basically I'm wondering if the Servotronic Torque Value (32131092412) can fail and start leaking. No problems with steering whatsoever, as I stay on top of fluid levels but it's just making a mess.

A little history: '02 M5, 101k miles and replaced the PS reservoir to pump hose last week as it was starting to leak (PO had already done it at some point). While in there, noticed I had fluid on the bottom of the steering box, figured it had just splashed around even though it seemed excessive. Steering box itself was fairly dry and the hard line banjo bolts (from what I can see in there) are still tight and dry. With everything buttoned back up and clean, found when the car is running there is a leak at decent rate:

Now I swear from the best my fat fingers can get around up there there is no leak on top, back, or otherwise from the box itself - it's like it's coming out of the wiring on the torque controller itself.

Anyone seen this before, or am I misdiagnosing the true source?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well if anyone wonders down the road these valves do fail internally and leak where the wiring comes out of the case but remain functional. New replacement fixed it for me.

There's a pic of the internals in this thread: Steering is sometimes super heavy at parking lot speed after hard drives...?

And yes the existing Allen screws were a loss, had to break out the Dremel & flex shaft (pic below). Otherwise fairly accessible and easy fix.

YMMV,
Jeffro

1 - 2 of 2 Posts