BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im very upset I was making an appointment to get the 1200 service done and I called 4 dealers today which are local. I bought the car from Paul Miller which is a good 45 min away and 1.5 hours back because the GWB Bridge is just murder every single day. Now Im worried about if something major goes wrong and roadside tows it to my local dealer Im left with no car.

Now I called the following dealers today.

Bmw Manhattan ( factory store)
Westchester BMW ( factory store and I serviced my 545i there when I bought at another store 4 years ago and was always given an E60 loaner)
Pace BMW
Competition BMW in Greenwich CT.

All these dealers are easy to get to for me so I prefer any of the above.

All of them said today no loaner cars unless you bought the car from them and that the loaner fleet is controled by the sales department not the service department. Sounds like BS to me.

Now I just bought a $98,000 car and now I need to suffer because all these closer dealers sales departments sucked and made no effort to make the deal happen or get me the car. Its just not fair.

Mercedes no matter where I went gave me a loaner now I am regretting buying it in New Jersey but I did save $200 month on the payment and I got a better deal and the car in 4 days so Paul Miller was great.

Im just looking into this now for future purposes. Im going to call BMW NA and complain why dealers and factory stores do this to customers. Service departments are still making lots of $$$$$ regardless of where the car came from with warranty and schedueled maint paybacks.

Suggestions here???

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Each dealer seems to be overly vigilant about service loaners these days. When you call the service department and inquire about a service loaner, they all seem to have the same automatic reply, "IF you bought your BMW here, then yes, you can get a service loaner."

Its not a BMW NA policy, it a dealer level policy.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
you have to remember they have there own customers to service and they have priority over you. me benz is on a national program with loaner cars. bmw does not have this the dealer pays for its own loaner cars. look at it this way if you were a dealer and a customer did not buy the car from you and shopped you would you give him a loaner car. remember its a business the dealer needs to make a profit. do you have any idea how much it cost a dealership to insure there loaner car fleet. dont take me wrong if i owned a dealer i would give you a loaner car maybe not a bmw but at least some kind of wheels to get you around i would want to earn your future business but that is me. I can see it from both sides and ps a call to na is not going to change anything just bite the bullet and go to paul miller you are there customer show some loalty

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
agreed with George. I have to drive all the way up to damn oyster bay which is over 20 mins away. But its a fun ride in this car so I dont care! I would have went to the local dealer, but they actually sucked!!!! No help from their horrible sales department.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See my issue is that I am very busy with the buisness ventures I own and being stuck on the GWB path for almost 2 hours just kills my entire day and drives me mad I cant deal with it. No drive from NY to NJ is good any time of the day its torture. If the dealer was upstate NY or CT and it was 60+ miles away that I could enjoy the drive I would actually go out of my way for something like this.

The way I see this its just stupid for their mentality to do this to customers.

Everyone knows the bread and butter for dealerships revenue is parts and service not sales. So if they wake up and realize that the loaner car will make the difference with new customers then they are turning down buisness indirectly for a stupid policy. If I was running a service department I would take in as much warranty and service work and make it priority to have the best ratings in the area with loaner cars so the word spreads and eventually your known as the #1 service center, the place to go.

Now even these factory owned stores enforce this same BS policy but I serviced before at Manhattan and Westchester in 2005, purchased the car from a different dealer and I always recieved an E60 loaner. Now all of a sudden things change.

Bmw is a great company but customer support should be priority and simple things as a loaner car shouldnt even be an issue across the board.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
See my issue is that I am very busy with the buisness ventures I own and being stuck on the GWB path for almost 2 hours just kills my entire day and drives me mad I cant deal with it. No drive from NY to NJ is good any time of the day its torture. If the dealer was upstate NY or CT and it was 60+ miles away that I could enjoy the drive I would actually go out of my way for something like this.

Everyone knows the bread and butter for dealerships revenue is parts and service not sales. So if they wake up and realize that the loaner car will make the difference with new customers then they are turning down buisness indirectly for a stupid policy. If I was running a service department I would take in as much warranty and service work and make it priority to have the best ratings in the area with loaner cars so the word spreads and eventually your known as the #1 service center, the place to go.

Now even these factory owned stores enforce this same BS policy but I serviced before at Manhattan and Westchester in 2005, purchased the car from a different dealer and I always recieved an E60 loaner. Now all of a sudden things change.

Bmw is a great company but customer support should be priority and simple things as a loaner car shouldnt even be an issue across the board.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=113170&highlight=service+loaners

·
Registered
24 Posts
Went to get service at Paul Miller a couple weeks ago. I live in Manhattan and the drive was suprisingly bearable. For both drop and pick up went early morning, right when they open at 7:30 am. Give it a shot. Think you'll find it's not as bad as you think. Paul Miller is great with loaners. I got a 535ix.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Paul Miller BMW is worth the trip, although the drive to/from NYC can be really annoying. If you make the trip at 10am, however, it is very bearable.

Great BMW loaner cars and very good service. I get all my BMWs there and I am always treated well.

They will go out of their way to accommodate you

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
and let me ask you something you went to jersey to buy a car what happened to the long island dealers there are at least 7 dealers you could of went to

·
Registered
4,404 Posts

+1.

I bought and serviced 3 cars with Wesychester BMW. Would have bought the M5 there as well except for the fact that they couldn't get me one as quickly and nobody on their staff had any knowledge. Now they won't give me a loaner if a service my car there. Guess what, I will never buy another car from them! Now they have lost both my service revenue and my sales revenue.

BTW, I would think the foot traffic from your service department brings a lot of people through the showroom.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Im really lucky that the VERY local dealer (6 minutes from my house) is where I bought my current BMW and thusly give me great loaners (535i and xis). However, they didnt give me a car when I had a 325 that I didnt buy from them. Atleast they are good for their word.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Andrew you live in Westchester? I have a place there as well.

Ok I got the car from Paul Miller as a last minute thing. There was 1 car in the USA on the ground in the color and options I wanted and it was in NJ. I called 11 dealers in NY and NJ trying to see who could get me the car since nobody tld me which dealer had it and they wasted 2 weeks of my time. Their lease numbers were much higher and the sales staff didnt have a clue about anything i asked them which didnt make me feel confident.

One day my father told me an old friend of his who my dad used to manage was the manager at Paul Miller. I havent see or spoken to this guy in 15 years. I called him he made the deal ASAP and had my car in 24 hours. So they are great guys at Paul Miller I have been very happy with their sales and their new dealership is going to be sweet. The guys in sales knew the M5 inside and out I couldnt praise them enough.

I wouldnt mind the ride but when I head back over the bridge it just backs up to the point of no return ruining my meetings for the day. I dont have very understanding clients. Westchester is close to my office as are the other dealers but I will tell you when i had them service my 545i the car would be worse off than if i never went it. They broke more stuff, fried more computers that eventually they car was out of service for 60+ days and they ventually took my car back.

So far my M5 has been good I was skeptical to let Westchester service it and have them screw up and then my ownership becomes a total nightmare all over again.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
There was 1 car in the USA on the ground in the color and options I wanted and it was in NJ.
All BMW dealers have access to what's available to each and all BMW dealers through their internal database.

If your "local" dealer didn't have the car you wanted, but the NJ dealer did, my SA told me it would have not been a problem to have gotten that particular car for you by "swapping" for it. They do that all the time.

Westchester BMW is the dealer I purchased and serviced with. I've never had any issues with them.

I even get a loaner for my Mini service because I purchased so many cars from them. (BTW, Westchester Mini doesn't provide loaners for Mini service at all.)

If its any consolation, I have a 330i and 530xit in the family purchased elsewhere. I don't get loaners for those cars at Westchester BMW.

I even referred a fellow M5board M5 to Westchester BMW, but no dice there. IIRC, he ended up going to Greenwich BMW and got a loaner (and he didn't purchase there).

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
M5TekNYC:

Ask member bonehead which BMW dealer he serviced his car with?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
:p my beast is in the shopp right now and i have a brand new 08 335i with 2k miles !!

i love it , its a blast to drive !!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Try JMK - Springfield NJ

I bought my car at JMK and service it there. Have zero complaints on sales or service.

I also brought my car to Paul Miller and had a HORRIBLE experience. Now I'm not sure what happened and will give them the benefit of the doubt that this was an unusual occurrence, but I'm not going back. Reason I brought it there was I needed a windshield ASAP, they had one in stock and quoted me $1,000 after I gave them the VIN. How do you screw that one up right? Well I dropped the car off on Saturday while I was taking a trip, with plans to get back Tuesday. Everything was set, they would do the work on Monday, the car would be ready for me when I landed on Tuesday. Left a credit card for the payment and gave them a second set of keys so I could pick the car up after hours.

I land Tuesday night, check my voicemail..."Hello Mr. xxx, this is the Paul Miller service department. We have a price for you on the windshield. Please call us back."

WTF??? Yeah, I left my car with you four days for a price quote. Idiots. Now the price goes up several hundred dollars (I was quoted a regular 5-series windshield even with the VIN, yeah right), the windshield isn't even in stock, blah blah blah. I demanded my car back. They say they can't find my keys. No problem, I have a second set on me, give me my car. All of a sudden the price goes back down to what I was quoted and the windshield is magically in stock and the car will be ready the next day. I even had to explain to the service guy that my car did not have HUD (his reply was all M5s have it, "it's standard".)

Sorry to turn this into a Paul Miller bashing. I'm just suggesting you check out JMK. It's on 22 westbound side. I wouldn't take 22 east to get there though. I'd either take 78 to the GSP and cut through Cranford or take 78 and cut through Mountainside. It would be about 45 minutes or so out of the Holland. I get excellent service. BMW loaners when I request in advance. Free oil handed to me when I ask for it. No questions asked brake pad and rotor replacements. I wouldn't have gone anywhere else if they had the windshield that day. I'd say ask for so-and-so, but the SAs are all good.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I bought my car at JMK and service it there. Have zero complaints on sales or service.

I also brought my car to Paul Miller and had a HORRIBLE experience. Now I'm not sure what happened and will give them the benefit of the doubt that this was an unusual occurrence, but I'm not going back. Reason I brought it there was I needed a windshield ASAP, they had one in stock and quoted me $1,000 after I gave them the VIN. How do you screw that one up right? Well I dropped the car off on Saturday while I was taking a trip, with plans to get back Tuesday. Everything was set, they would do the work on Monday, the car would be ready for me when I landed on Tuesday. Left a credit card for the payment and gave them a second set of keys so I could pick the car up after hours.

I land Tuesday night, check my voicemail..."Hello Mr. xxx, this is the Paul Miller service department. We have a price for you on the windshield. Please call us back."

WTF??? Yeah, I left my car with you four days for a price quote. Idiots. Now the price goes up several hundred dollars (I was quoted a regular 5-series windshield even with the VIN, yeah right), the windshield isn't even in stock, blah blah blah. I demanded my car back. They say they can't find my keys. No problem, I have a second set on me, give me my car. All of a sudden the price goes back down to what I was quoted and the windshield is magically in stock and the car will be ready the next day. I even had to explain to the service guy that my car did not have HUD (his reply was all M5s have it, "it's standard".)

Sorry to turn this into a Paul Miller bashing. I'm just suggesting you check out JMK. It's on 22 westbound side. I wouldn't take 22 east to get there though. I'd either take 78 to the GSP and cut through Cranford or take 78 and cut through Mountainside. It would be about 45 minutes or so out of the Holland. I get excellent service. BMW loaners when I request in advance. Free oil handed to me when I ask for it. No questions asked brake pad and rotor replacements. I wouldn't have gone anywhere else if they had the windshield that day. I'd say ask for so-and-so, but the SAs are all good.
Wow. Sounds like a pretty bad experience to me.

ttallion said:
Hello Mr. xxx
Give us some credit. Your user name is as subtle as our friend andrewsherman:)

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
and quoted me $1,000 after I gave them the VIN. .

as you are aware , i have sold my beast and the windsheild is broken so i have to replace it i had my car at the body shopp taking off all the spoilers and crapp and i asked him to give me a quote on a new windsheild and he came back with $700 that $1000 price is wayyy to much !!

lemme know if you need his #

neil

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Neil, why? and what are you getting?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts