BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just changed my oil today and learned about resetting the service lights in the FAQ section. I read through the whole thing to see if anyone else had the same problem as me and I didn't see one.

I understand when to stop turning the key, there's only one button to press, but I can't get anything to come up. I hold the button, turn the key a touch until the lights come on, and "BMW assist inactive" comes on my readout. (which I also get everytime I start the car) From what I understand this comes up because I am missing the "phone" in the center console.

Do I need to eliminate the inactive message before it will allow the SIA to work?

Is there another method that doesn't involve a Peake reader or going to the dealer?

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
a lot of the early cars with the round 20pin under the hood will not reset via the cluster. my last m5 my 00' would not also. you need dis/inpa or a reset tool which plugs into the under hood port. if you dont have access to any of these do some research, im guessing that the reset tool simply grounds a pin etc to do the reset.

·
Registered
483 Posts
can someone get a picture of how bright these service lights are? It feels like my lights are never even on. The green is more like a puke green...doesn't look illuminated at all. Is this what they are supposed to look like?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The service indicator lights will only come on for a few seconds when first starting the car.

I heard of the wire trick before, I will try it out. I have a friend that has a Peake tool for his E46, not sure if its the same one used for E39's? If the pin trick doesn't work I'll try his.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My Peake tool never even resets the oil indicator and it was on 1 puke green light. A thousand miles into my 3rd oil change one day the lights went from 1 puke green to like 4 or 5 puke green. Any idea why it changed now all of a sudden? Am at 73000miles oil change was done around 70000miles and the lights reset on their own around 71000miles. Really annoying as I can't get the reset happening with the key and button method or the peake.

·
Registered
707 Posts
can someone get a picture of how bright these service lights are? It feels like my lights are never even on. The green is more like a puke green...doesn't look illuminated at all. Is this what they are supposed to look like?
should be like this

can try test 1 to check if the lights work, maybe they are just light, but working:
YouTube - BMW OBC Test 2 (Redone)

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used the wire method yesterday. I have a full set of puke green/yellow lights that are not very bright. Maybe thats how the 2000 M5's are? I know my 2000 528i had bright green lights when I had it reset. I will contact my friend and try his peake tool (if it works on my car) I will report back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts