BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just completed a service of my car, oil change, plugs filters and so on. I am wondering if it's worth doing a few more bits and bobs to the engine at this time. I am getting a funny noise from it almost like a whoosh whoosh (almost a whistle type noise), it's hard to describe, it's not loud and it only happens at low RPM and goes away at high RPM. I think it's coming from the serpentine belt area and it could be signs of a tensioner getting a bit dry, so I was thinking of replacing the tensioners and the belt soon. From what I have read here the symptoms seem to fit this, any opinions? I was also wondering if anything else could be done as preventative maintenance at this point. I have seen some posts showing replacing the chain tensioners and was wondering if they are worth doing too at this point.

Fuel Filter is done, coolant is on a standard two year cycle along with my brake and power steering fluid (that's all renewed and on schedule). Brakes etc are checked regularly (every few months) and replaced well before limits reached.

I have inspected all my pipework (having already replaced a lot of it) and it's all perfect :).. But I would also like to do a gearbox and diff oil change... but I am reluctant to do this alone so would like someone with experience to help me with this (in Basginstoke in the UK).

Thoughts?

Thanks

Craig

·
Registered
226 Posts
Do not be afraid to change the diff fluid, it is very easy. However, you do need a lift or at least jack the car up to work safely under it.

There are two allen head plugs on the diff. One drain and one fill. Remove fill first to ensure it comes off before you drain the diff.

These plugs will be either 12mm or 14mm. Mine was 14mm. I used a socked style allen from a three pack sold at Autozone. It had 12 and 14 included. You will need to take a drift pin and hammer to pop the allen out of the socket to get the drain off (clearence from exhaust) and use a box wrench on the allen to turn it.

Once both plugs are out and fluid is drained, refill with about 1.5 bottles of fluid (brand of your choice).

This is literally a 10 min job and prob easier than an oil change.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Gearbox oil change is almost as easy as an oil change. I want to say there were 2 14mm bolts, and yes, open the fill plug before the drain plug. Do not be intimidated by this. Just make sure you have a small hand pump with associated tubing to get the box full of your favorite synthetic fluid ~2 quarts worth. I used Royal Purple Synchromax, as many on this board had suggested, and the car does seem to shift a bit smoother now, not to mention the "lifetime" fluid that came out looked to be pretty worn. Good luck, this board is a wealth of information!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Gearbox oil change is almost as easy as an oil change. I want to say there were 2 14mm bolts, and yes, open the fill plug before the drain plug. Do not be intimidated by this. Just make sure you have a small hand pump with associated tubing to get the box full of your favorite synthetic fluid ~2 quarts worth. I used Royal Purple Synchromax, as many on this board had suggested, and the car does seem to shift a bit smoother now, not to mention the "lifetime" fluid that came out looked to be pretty worn. Good luck, this board is a wealth of information!
I might look into that purple stuff......is it good?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would say that it most definitely is. I have it in my Tremec TKO 600 in my 69 Camaro and have also put it in other manual transmissions in other cars that I have driven in the past and have nothing but great performance and reliability from all of them. It has definitely made noticeable improvements in the smoothness of the shifts IMHO. I would say this about all Royal Purple products including their engine oil. Just my $0.02 though.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts