BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked the Beast up late this afternoon with the Dinan S2 package installed.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

One word: WOW! Unbelievable torque and power. I can't put it into words what the headers, throttle bodies and velocity stacks do to this car.
With that said... the "Service engine soon" light came on during my 60 mile round about way home from Evolution Motorsports.<o:p></o:p>
They were closed by the I discovered the dreaded light on, so I am wondering if anyone might have a clue what might have caused this dreaded light to come on?
THey will get the phone call at 8:00am sharp, but my curiosity will keep me up half of the night if I don't have a clue.<o:p></o:p>
Thanks in advance for your thoughts<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

·
10,455 Posts
a code reader sure would be handy. Could be a lot of things, exhaust leak, intake leak, something not plugged in properly... or just coincidence that something else just happened to fail.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Congrats Bob............

Wow, we both got our car's done at almost the same time. I picked up my car this past Monday and I feel the same way. Here my very short writeup on the car, after a short test drive:
"regarding the S2 package, I can say this, it transformed the car 110%. "CHUCKC" of California PM-ed me earlier, and asked me the same question on how I like the car, now that its a S2 M5. I will tell you guys the same thing...........
The characteristics of the car are totally different, than when it was stock. Its dramatic difference, NOT SUTTLE at all! I went into this project (getting the S2 package not knowing what to expect) being very neutral, since I heard various anti Dinan and anti S2 package remarks for the past several months, but I also heard numerous positive comments as well. So, I had no idea what to expect, when my car was done. One can say, I wasn't pro or negative on the S2 package when having it done to my car. I just didn't know what to expect, period! I got the car back only yesterday, and took the car for a mild drive. All I can say is oooh my God...................
The F-ing car just wants to pull, pull and still keep pulling...........
I recall a few guys making remarks saying that the S2 package was hype or over blown or just not worth doing since the gains were minimal and not worth the asking price, well I say to them HUMBUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You guys are full of it! Why these type of remarks were made I have no idea but I can say this, for a N/A engine, its the real deal! The Dinan tech told me to take it easy on the car when shifting since my car only has 5700 miles on the clock and they changed the stock flywheel over the the lightened flywheel, so the new flywheel has to settle or become broken in with time, intead of getting hammered by doing hard power shifts. The tech stated, it would take approx. 1000 miles for the new Dinan flywheel to be properly broken in. Here's a test for you S2 guys (this is what I did in my short test drive) set the DSC off, set the SPORT button on, drive on a clear road/highway in fourth gear doing approx. 85 MPH, then smash the gas pedal to the floor and see what happens.
I will say this, just be ready for what is about to happen, hold on and be careful. You'll have a huge grin on your face, even when the test is over!
I'll probably write my full impressions shortly down the road, when I can completely experience the car for what it is, once its a bit broken in.
Last thing, my Dinan tech told me that my car is probably the most powerful S2 M5 he has ever driven! He told me that he has done over "27" S2 M5 conversions, not including Z8 S2 conversions, and that my car is the most powerful S2 he has ever test driven! His exact words were, "I GOT ONE OF THE GOOD ONES"! I know this person to be a straight shooter , so I know he wasn't just saying this to blow smoke up my hole (if you know what I mean) he a serious kind of guy, some may even say he a bit of a stiff, which is not the type to talk BS talk, simply for the sake of talking BS talk. Based on this, I might have lucked out and gotten one of the more powerful M5 engines, instead of the weaker motor, which have been discussed here on the message board. Maybe thats why I experienced the car pulling like an animal !?!?!!! Your comments are welcome." END QUOTE.

Bob, in addition to what the other guys have said, you may need to have the Dinan software re-downloaded into the car's DME. I know that once the MIPP toll does the download, the MIPP toll has to CLEAR all of the faults with the car's DME. It's possible that this was not done correctly or successfully. Have then re-do the software download to eliminate this possibility.
Robert

·
Registered
797 Posts
Re: Congrats Bob............

FAST 5 said:
Bob, in addition to what the other guys have said, you may need to have the Dinan software re-downloaded into the car's DME. I know that once the MIPP toll does the download, the MIPP toll has to CLEAR all of the faults with the car's DME. It's possible that this was not done correctly or successfully. Have then re-do the software download to eliminate this possibility.
Robert
Also, there's BMW software that contains parametric limits that needs to be updated to the latest values as the Dinan software expects this to be present.

About six months ago, my M-tech discovered that I didn't have this latest BMW code. Despite the fact that I wasn't getting any codes or SES lights, he re-loaded the updated standard BMW M5 software and then re-loaded the Dinan Stage 5 code in my S2.

Both you and Robert should make sure that this has been done for your S2.

Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Jeff, Thanks for that bit of info.... question for you...

What I don't understand is, if our car's are no longer in production, and haven't been for approx. 6-7 months, why is BMW still updating the M5 software??? I'd think that the 2003 M5 along with its software would have been perfected a while ago, no???
Last, what should I say (exact words to the BMW tech) to determine whether or not I need this newer updating M5 software? Please be as detailed as possible, okay, so I can convey my thoughts without sounding like a "ba-foon". ouich

Thank you. :)

PS If this done (update the BMW software) will the Dinan software download become deleted?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Re: Congrats Bob............

<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;">Robert:
You must have been reading Evolution Motorsports Techs mind. He cleared the fault codes this morning and reinstalled the Dinan Stage V software. He and I took it out on a very spirited (rubber in 2nd and 3rd gear!) drive for an hour with no "engine service soon" light reappearing.
He then put it on the Dyno and it came up with 466 hp after several pulls. Excellent results for being nearly right off the lift. He wants to dyno it again in the spring to compare the results.
I've put now nearly 200 miles on it since yesterday and it feels stronger every hour.<o:p></o:p>
I wouldn't have believed that these mods transform an already fast M5 into something so frightenly quick. The sound emitted from the Dinan headers and Tubi combo at 4-6k rpm is nearly orgasmic (maybe a stretch) in or out of the car.
I'll have EvoMS check into the BMW factory software updates,even though it is screaming like a.......
Thanks to all for the thoughts and suggestions.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

FAST 5 said:
Wow, we both got our car's done at almost the same time. I picked up my car this past Monday and I feel the same way. Here my very short writeup on the car, after a short test drive:
"regarding the S2 package, I can say this, it transformed the car 110%. "CHUCKC" of California PM-ed me earlier, and asked me the same question on how I like the car, now that its a S2 M5. I will tell you guys the same thing...........
The characteristics of the car are totally different, than when it was stock. Its dramatic difference, NOT SUTTLE at all! I went into this project (getting the S2 package not knowing what to expect) being very neutral, since I heard various anti Dinan and anti S2 package remarks for the past several months, but I also heard numerous positive comments as well. So, I had no idea what to expect, when my car was done. One can say, I wasn't pro or negative on the S2 package when having it done to my car. I just didn't know what to expect, period! I got the car back only yesterday, and took the car for a mild drive. All I can say is oooh my God...................
The F-ing car just wants to pull, pull and still keep pulling...........
I recall a few guys making remarks saying that the S2 package was hype or over blown or just not worth doing since the gains were minimal and not worth the asking price, well I say to them HUMBUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You guys are full of it! Why these type of remarks were made I have no idea but I can say this, for a N/A engine, its the real deal! The Dinan tech told me to take it easy on the car when shifting since my car only has 5700 miles on the clock and they changed the stock flywheel over the the lightened flywheel, so the new flywheel has to settle or become broken in with time, intead of getting hammered by doing hard power shifts. The tech stated, it would take approx. 1000 miles for the new Dinan flywheel to be properly broken in. Here's a test for you S2 guys (this is what I did in my short test drive) set the DSC off, set the SPORT button on, drive on a clear road/highway in fourth gear doing approx. 85 MPH, then smash the gas pedal to the floor and see what happens.
I will say this, just be ready for what is about to happen, hold on and be careful. You'll have a huge grin on your face, even when the test is over!
I'll probably write my full impressions shortly down the road, when I can completely experience the car for what it is, once its a bit broken in.
Last thing, my Dinan tech told me that my car is probably the most powerful S2 M5 he has ever driven! He told me that he has done over "27" S2 M5 conversions, not including Z8 S2 conversions, and that my car is the most powerful S2 he has ever test driven! His exact words were, "I GOT ONE OF THE GOOD ONES"! I know this person to be a straight shooter , so I know he wasn't just saying this to blow smoke up my hole (if you know what I mean) he a serious kind of guy, some may even say he a bit of a stiff, which is not the type to talk BS talk, simply for the sake of talking BS talk. Based on this, I might have lucked out and gotten one of the more powerful M5 engines, instead of the weaker motor, which have been discussed here on the message board. Maybe thats why I experienced the car pulling like an animal !?!?!!! Your comments are welcome." END QUOTE.

Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I'm afraid to let anyone open this engine up.
Even the tech at EvoMS discouraged it.
I understand working with the VANOS is very complicated. That may be why Dinan does not quote the labor units for this mod.
Humanoid said:
Did you opt for the intake and exhaust cam options with the S2 package?

·
Registered
6 Posts
howler said:
I picked the Beast up late this afternoon with the Dinan S2 package installed.ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

One word: WOW! Unbelievable torque and power. I can't put it into words what the headers, throttle bodies and velocity stacks do to this car.
With that said... the "Service engine soon" light came on during my 60 mile round about way home from Evolution Motorsports.<O:p></O:p>
They were closed by the I discovered the dreaded light on, so I am wondering if anyone might have a clue what might have caused this dreaded light to come on?
THey will get the phone call at 8:00am sharp, but my curiosity will keep me up half of the night if I don't have a clue.<O:p></O:p>
Thanks in advance for your thoughts<O:p></O:p>

<O:p></O:p>

More than likely, its from the exhaust. Go to www.O2simulator.com for some MIL sensors.

Jason

·
10,455 Posts
More than likely, its from the exhaust. Go to www.O2simulator.com for some MIL sensors.
Jason
I don't quite buy this. So many of us have done exhaust mods without a SES light appearing. The only person i know of on this board who is running an o2 simulator is xraymd, and he did it because of the supersprint cats. Last i heard, he was still getting a 'cat efficiency' code even with the o2 simulator, maybe he can update us on that.
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts