BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What kind of communication should I be expecting from my Service Consultant? I'm not happy and want to make sure my expectations are not unreasonable.

Situation: Dropped off my "new" M last Tuesday night after work. Received a loaner X3 (thank you for the loaner, the X3 is not my style - but I appreciate the guesture.) I had a list of items to be taken care of - noticed within a week of taking ownership of the CPO M.

Heard nothing Wednesday or Thursday. Call the SC on Thursday afternoon - told "nothing to report". He has no info. No call on Friday either.

Saturday, I am in the neighborhood, so I stop by the dealership. Not surprising, the SC I'm working with is not there. I can understand that. The only one that is there looks up my record and says that "There is no record of any work being done on the car." WHAT?!! He suggests calling the SC on Monday.

Yesterday (Monday) I e-mail the salesman to see if he knows what is going on. (The salesman was coordinating some of the work outside of the service department - removing a cellular antenna and re-tinting the rear window.) No response to my note. Okay, perhaps he is off on Mondays.

Today I get a voice message from the SC, "The parts on order have arrived and we should have the car back together for you tomorrow. Thank you for your patience." What parts? I haven't had any communication to tell me, "We found this wrong, need to order the part because we don't have it in stock. We should have it Monday. Etc."

I call the Salesman on his cell since he didn't respond to my e-mail. He says he was just talking to the SC about my M. Basically says the same thing that the SC left on the message. I ask again for details about the parts. He doesn't know and walks over to ask the SC. The SC is with a customer, but salesman promises that the SC will call me back. (It's been about an hour, still no call back.)

I ask if the salesman had coordinated getting his work done while the car was sitting waiting for parts. He said that he hadn't because he doesn't know anything about what is going on in Service - and the car MAY have not been drivable anyway. (Which could be true - I am hoping that they are going to replace a clutch I fear is weak.)

I know the dealers want a score of 5, right now, I think this is about a 3. Am I out of line? (I don't mind so much the time it is taking (assuming my M5 hasn't just been ignored. But I would expect better communication about the status.)

·
10,457 Posts
i think that's pretty poor service. Generally, my SA gives me a call when he knows what's going on, if parts are needing to be orderd, has an eta etc.
Occasionally, i won't hear anything until the end of the day, just getting a "it's done" call. I'd rather know earlier, when they've done their diagnostics, just in case I don't agree... :hihi:

I'd have done the same as you if i didn't get any info, imho, having the car sit at the dealership for days without any work being done or any report is just not acceptable. If parts need to be ordered, and it's going to be a few days, i'd rather the car sit in my garage than on their lot, assuming it's not an issue that makes the car un-drivable, of course. I've explained this to my SA, and they more often than not get parts overnighted, to get the work done and the RO closed out.
Mike

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
mottati said:
i think that's pretty poor service. Generally, my SA gives me a call when he knows what's going on, if parts are needing to be orderd, has an eta etc.
Occasionally, i won't hear anything until the end of the day, just getting a "it's done" call. I'd rather know earlier, when they've done their diagnostics, just in case I don't agree... :hihi:

I'd have done the same as you if i didn't get any info, imho, having the car sit at the dealership for days without any work being done or any report is just not acceptable. If parts need to be ordered, and it's going to be a few days, i'd rather the car sit in my garage than on their lot, assuming it's not an issue that makes the car un-drivable, of course. I've explained this to my SA, and they more often than not get parts overnighted, to get the work done and the RO closed out.
Mike
I have to agree. No excuse for not returning phone calls and keeping you advised. Why take the car on the first day if the SA (Service Advisor) knows he can't get to it until day 3? At least you have a loaner, and it has been my experience the dealer usually tried to minimize the time you have the loaner as they pay for it.
You need to have a nice calm conversation with your SA, your salesperson, and perhaps the Service Manager. You can advise them of your expectations, and then let them give you the "please give us all 5's" speech. BTW, when my SA goes out of his way for me, I sometimes give him his own "5" if you catch my drift. I can honestly say that the service at my dealership has been topnotch. If it wasn't for the ridiculous labor rates ($125 a flat rate hour!!), I would do a lot more service there after the warranty expires.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I'd say thats a 1

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your comments and validation. I never did get a call back last night and it is now 9:30 AM - so I will have to try again. :confused3

At least I know I'm not being unreasonable with my expectations.

I'm surprised more people didn't respond as 80% of our M5s must still be serviced at a dealership.

Thanks again!
Best Wishes,
Alfred
Now I must calm myself before calling the Service Consultant.:D

·
Registered
837 Posts
I wouild be mad as well, but what do you do?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
You should talk with both the SA and the SM. Let them know that you'd like to know what's going on with your car in detail as you know something about cars, and wish to know what's wrong with it.

I would venture to guess that 90% of BMW owners out there know NOTHING about their cars, and just want them fixed. The last thing they want is some mechanic calling them and saying their Vanos Detector Loop Sensor is out, and will need to be replaced. As long as it's under warranty, just fix it...

Unless you make it clear that you DO want to know that the VDLS is out, they probably won't tell you. They'll just call and say exactly what they said: "The parts on order have arrived and we should have the car back together for you tomorrow. Thank you for your patience". Why would you want to know more???

Having said all this, I think you should also be happy that you got a loaner at all. My experience has been that I don't get a loaner for anything, unless it's going to take more than just a day. But they don't know that until they diagnose the problem, which means I make two trips to the dealer...

I also agree with Mike, leaving my car at the dealership while waiting for parts is not for me. As long as it's not taken apart, I'd rather have it in my garage. The last time mine was in for a problem, it was the sunroof, and they had it all torn apart...at least they had to keep it inside until the new parts arrived...

Good Luck!
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Hey!!

I would go straight to the General Manager of the dealership. I make it a habit of complimenting things when they are done well and when they are done poorly. There is no excuse for this behavior and I would for sure let the GM know how his dearlership is being run.

I recently had to return 4 times for the replacement of the CD/DVD cover in the trunk of my M. I spoke with the GM and Customer Care Rep. and was given compensation for the errors.

The point is, they are in the customer service business!!!! DAH!!! ouich Why shouldn't you expect excellent service!! I can't imagine ANY excuse for not returning a phone call!! He should be fired!! I know we are all human, but for repeated attempts at communication and they essentially ignore you, I would want heads!

:typing: Long winded, sorry! All I am saying is talk to the GM and if that doesn't work for sure take your business elsewhere!! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts