BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just ordered a set of 'intake camshaft position sensors' for the M5 following a series of misfires & the resultant (dreaded) limp home mode, but the (peake) fault code reader also returns the following error ;

4f "exhaust gas temperature sensor"
and registers this without even starting the car (to normally reproduce an error) despite being erased from the ecu everytime, but only retains the error once the car has fully warmed up, anyway, upon further investigation it appears this component was discontinued on later M5's and features in a service bulletin (110201 MAR 01 Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor - MIL ON/DTC 079 ) anybody know anything (bmw are dragging their heels) about this bulletin ? or whether it involved bypassing the sensor with a resistor or flashing the ecu memory etc.. or could the faulty cps somehow trigger this error ?

The car does seem to be running a tad rich\smoky (7mpg not unusual!!) lately

·
10,455 Posts
There is updated software to allow you to run without the EGTS. My 00 M5 had a cat replaced about a year ago, and the replacement cat didn't have the egts. There's some documentation on my repair order about this, and that the dme was reprogrammed to an 'updated version' of the software to allow no egts. Sounds like you need the updated software.
Mike

·
10,455 Posts
Úbermensch said:
Thanks Mike, I'll get 'em to upgrade to XP SP2 while im at it.. :2:
i think you'll get more hp with the mac os 10.2, and easy 6-8hp at the wheels... :haha2:
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts