BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean survey!

Altough i`m not an M5 owner, i would like to know if you guys and gals could resist a race!

Just 5min. underway from pulling out off the driveway and this SLK shows up next to me.So i let him make the move and he did, so i puncht it. in 2nd dust him. it was a 200, you never know around here (europe).If it was a 230 k it would have bin interesting.
It doesn`t matter to me if i win or loose,
i`m always in for a race, if it`s save.

After i arrived at work i feel guilty not only for speeding but for the harm if have done to the engine.

I have a 528

Joxer

[This message has been edited by Joxer (edited 20 March 2001).]

·
Registered
192 Posts
I ALWAYS wait for my lights to go out before exeeding 3k.
More of a habit with me, I've just always waited for the oil to warm up in every car I've had

Alan
2001 Carbon
Lotus 340R

[This message has been edited by Alan N (edited 20 March 2001).]

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
NO- never. Even when the lights go down- I wait for the engine temp to be in the middle- nice and happy, then I let the fun begin!

ME

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
I always waith for the engine to get warm before pushing it real hard. As the lights go out I push it harder and harder but before really pushing it I wait for the oil temp to raise too.

Cheers,
/Johan

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Not a chance!!

Even in my other two vehicles, I make it a habit to let the engines warm up before even taking off. I gave my wife a real hard time the other day for starting our 2000 Honda Accord V6 and immediately backing out and taking off! Man, was she surprised that I noticed and cared about it. After my dissertation on why she should never do this again, she agreed to be nicer to her car in the future.

There is absolutely nothing worse (except maybe running with no oil or water??
) than rev'ing up a motor before the oil temp, oil pressure, and water temps are all at normal operating conditions!

Be nice to the BEAST and let it warm properly before putting your foot in the throttle! Of course, then the real fun begins! :

------------------
Andy

2000 Imola M5 / Black Nappa - Titanium Trim

·
Registered
50 Posts
I learned a long time ago not to give my wife a speech about anything...there are too many other areas where I deserve to receive the speech

·
Registered
80 Posts
Actually, I read long ago somewhere (and it makes sense), that you should drive the car right after startup (unless you're in the Northeast during winter, of course), and that it's actually better to do so than just sitting there letting it idle for 5 minutes. "They" say that by driving it easily right away you actually get the engine and tranny up to temp faster and thus decrease wear on the drivetrain. Especially the tranny, because just idling it stays cold until you start driving. But I never push the motor AT ALL until engine and oil temp are nice and toasty.

------------------
Rob
'01 M5 Carbon Black/Caramel
BB Triflo, K&N filters

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
No way, and I love the variable-redline lights, it provides a very clear indication of when your oil is "ready".

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I had an SLK Compressor do that to me as I was leaving work in my E34. I could not blow by him as my oil temp was stone cold. It would have been so much fun. He really thought his red chick's car was the greatest.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Never until it's fully warm. Yes, I drive it away while cold, but NEVER run it hard until it's fully warm. You don't wanna spin a bearing, or score a cylinder or cam lobe or something, do ya?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Originally posted by M5Bob:
Actually, I read long ago somewhere (and it makes sense), that you should drive the car right after startup (unless you're in the Northeast during winter, of course), and that it's actually better to do so than just sitting there letting it idle for 5 minutes. "They" say that by driving it easily right away you actually get the engine and tranny up to temp faster and thus decrease wear on the drivetrain. Especially the tranny, because just idling it stays cold until you start driving. But I never push the motor AT ALL until engine and oil temp are nice and toasty.
I've also heard this on several accounts that it is better to drive immediately when starting up because engine idle is not the ideal way to warm up your engine. Driving mildly is the best solution--so I've heard.

------------------
'00 NBM Vette Convertible Pic #2
'00 ///M5 Titanium Silver/Caramel

·
Registered
412 Posts
--Sometimes, when I´m a little drunk, I misjudge the gauges and try to ride-hard my date even when not fully warmed; Never my baby beast though...I fully respect her.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I heard, maybe on Car Talk, that the "drive while warming up" instruction is to cut air pollution. May as well be driving gently while burning that gas. Since the car runs richer while cold, speeding up the process of warm-up by driving would make sense, no?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Originally posted by JEM:
No way, and I love the variable-redline lights, it provides a very clear indication of when your oil is "ready".

I tend to ignore the lights. I never rev above 4K until its fully warm and I use the oil temp gauge to determine this. I won't get on it until the gauge is at least near the first dot and usually not until it's past the first dot.

------------------
Phil

01 M5 Silverstone/Silverstone

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've read somewhere that moving the car soon after starting is better for emissions purposes too.
A couple of questions. From the responses here, it seems that nobody (including me)has revved an M5 engine into the ascending yellow zone. Is this ascending warning zone somehow tied into the fuel cutoff? Will revving a cold engine past 4000 result in a fuel cutoff?

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Yes, it is good to warm up your car by driving. But do it GENTLY!!! Pushing the car hard before it is warmed up is a CRIME and you shall be punished. The reason is that the different metals expand at different rates. You do not have proper bearing support when the engine is cold. It is engineered to exacting tolerances which are computed for a warmed up engine.

There is another reason you want your engine to warm up quickly (which is why you drive it.) Combustion is a chemical reaction. Before the engine reaches operating temperature there are acidic byproducts to this reaction. Acid=Bad. I don't know the chemistry, but evidently once the engine is warmed these acids are no longer produced, or they are produced in a gaseous form expelled with the exhaust.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
20 Participants
AndyMenard
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing