BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I've been trying to separate my transmission from the engine for a few days now with no luck. I managed to pry it out about 1-2cm but it will not move any further. I tried lowering/lifting the jack a bit, pulling from the back, using a pry bar in between.... But nothing seems to work.
And please correct me if I'm wrong, but there's 12 bolts all together. 2 are e10 and the rest are e12. I got all of them out and disconnected everything from the transmission.

I guess what I'm asking is: do you have any tips? Is it supposed to be this hard?

IMG_20200831_174022.jpg

IMG_20200831_174014.jpg

IMG_20200831_174034.jpg

IMG_20200831_174042.jpg

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Once more, with feeling. The sensor, itself, needs to be removed from the bell housing. Not just electrically disconnected... if you don't take it out, you will destroy it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once more, with feeling. The sensor, itself, needs to be removed from the bell housing. Not just electrically disconnected... if you don't take it out, you will destroy it
Interesting. I will try that then. I've done research on this before starting the job and I don't recall ever seeing anyone mention that.
I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
HAD THE SAME ISSUE MY FIRS TIME:

You have to make sure that the gearbox is not raised up too high or sitting too low. It has to be inline with the engine in order the for the input shaft to slide out of the pilot bearing. Keep adjusting the height up or down until it just slides out.
You will come across this issue when reinstalling as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This exact issue happened to me, the sensor needs to be removed entirely. It gets caught on the flywheel and eventually rips off inside the bell housing. Your sensor is likely already damaged...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, I will be giving this a shot again later today. I will take out the sensor and try to keep the transmission at the right angle.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,588 Posts
Yep you have to get the angles just right. A tranny jack with adjustable angle would be better than a regular jack. You can get them cheap at Horror Freight. Also might help to prop the rear of the engine with the right size wood block.
Also I would recommend replacing the input shaft seal on the trans. Mine leaked after doing my clutch even though the old one looked fine. Maybe from getting angled slightly while pulling the trans out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got it out. The sensor was definitely the problem, and it's definitely destroyed :eek:

Oh well, lesson learned.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got it out. The sensor was definitely the problem, and it's definitely destroyed :eek:

Oh well, lesson learned.

Thanks for all the help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts