BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in the States have any experience selling their beast to overseas buyer?

I got an offer for my beast from an UK buyer. Not sure why anyone would want to buy from the US and spend the shipping and importing expense.

Any considerations or issues that I should be thinking about? Is it too much trouble to go through?

I'm in absolute no rush to sell my beast. So I am just contemplating if it's worth the trouble.

Appreciate any comments and suggestions

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Yes why? AFAIK they have the steering wheel on the right side and you probably have yours on the left. There are plenty of M5's in the UK so unless your car is very special I also wonder why. Get the money in advance including shipping and all your other expenses in case you sell it.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Anyone in the States have any experience selling their beast to overseas buyer?

I got an offer for my beast from an UK buyer. Not sure why anyone would want to buy from the US and spend the shipping and importing expense.

Any considerations or issues that I should be thinking about? Is it too much trouble to go through?

I'm in absolute no rush to sell my beast. So I am just contemplating if it's worth the trouble.

Appreciate any comments and suggestions
Huh ?

Is he/she a board member ??

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
They didn't like tell you they'll give you a check for double what you want, then you refund them a little of it or something? I mean I know this buyer is in the UK or so they say but it is really odd that anyone would want to do this without trying to scam someone.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
I don't think so. If so, it could be a bit more assuring.
Watch out for scammers. About the only way I would even consider it would be a wire transfer, including wire transfer fees, shipping fees, etc. Once money is wired in to your bank, you are in pretty good shape.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Hold up guys! I don't know what the import costs are from the US, but M5's are a lot cheaper over there and there's a lot more low mileage examples around, which have also lived in warm sunny, rust-free climates, or been garaged over harsh winters. Don't knock it so quick!
As for the steering wheel, mine's a German import and it's never caused me a problem. There are a surprising number of folks in the UK who specify LHD on any European manufactured car, as the car is 'as designed' rather than a marketing afterthought..... ;) (In the same way they'd only ever buy a RHD Jap car). No serious petrol head would worry about that.

If the extra costs were not prohibitive, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 'known' US car and import it. This board is a great way of following how well a car is cared for - even if you aren't a member. I'd rather a 40,000 mile pampered car from California than a 100,000 mile unloved car from London, ANY day of the week!

(of course it may be a scam, but hopefully common sense would prevail in that case....!)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I sold a vehicle to someone in Denmark and it was easy. I had my bank set up a temporary account into which the buyer wired the money. As soon as the money hit we transferred the money into another account and closed the temporary one. I had the buyer make all of the shipping arrangements, and I made the vehicle available 24-7 for pick up after I prepped the vehicle per the shipping companys requirements. Export/import paperwork was the buyers problem - all I had to do was sign the title and provide a bill of sale, copies of which I faxed to the buyer, originals sent to the shipping company office in NY.

The whole deal went off without a hitch, because: the buyer had a good local reference from another car guy; the buyer had a standing relationship with an overseas vehicle shipping company; it was a vintage vehicle with no safety or emissions stuff; and, most importantly, both the buyer and seller were easy going, trustworthy, honest car guys. :)

Steve
00 M5
64 356C
84 911

·
Registered
493 Posts
I cant believe I came accross this tread. Just last week someone claiming to be from England said they wanted to buy my car. Part of the deal was that they would give me a $4500 deposit, HOWEVER, he said only $2k was to be used as the deposit, he asked if I would then use the other $2500 to pay the transport company when they come to take the car.

It all sounded VERY strange and now after reading this thread I think I may be being scammed. He wanted to close the deal really fast, claiming he needed a car quickly and that my would be perfect for him.

I'm just glad I didn't really need to sell my car or I might have made an impulsive decision.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I cant believe I came accross this tread. Just last week someone claiming to be from England said they wanted to buy my car. Part of the deal was that they would give me a $4500 deposit, HOWEVER, he said only $2k was to be used as the deposit, he asked if I would then use the other $2500 to pay the transport company when they come to take the car.

It all sounded VERY strange and now after reading this thread I think I may be being scammed. He wanted to close the deal really fast, claiming he needed a car quickly and that my would be perfect for him.

I'm just glad I didn't really need to sell my car or I might have made an impulsive decision.
Yeah, that's a total scam. If I recall correctly, the check for the $4500 deposit ends up being fake along with the rest of the payment, so you ultimately end up paying the transport company out of your own pocket. And you won't find out the checks are bad until after your car is in international waters and you're out the $2500 and your car.

·
Registered
597 Posts
100% scam I am afraid.
Unless the car is expensive or rare (Dinan S3 etc) then there is no need to import a 'beast from anywhere as there are good condition low mileage cars in the UK if you are prepared to look. If is was a supercar or extremely rare classic car then yes its is an option but the costs and customs charges make it unlikely to be a viable option.
Please proceed with extreme caution.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I sold a vehicle to someone in Denmark and it was easy. I had my bank set up a temporary account into which the buyer wired the money. As soon as the money hit we transferred the money into another account and closed the temporary one.
What wasbthe purpose of the temporary account if you transferred the funds out of it as soon as they arrived? Just curious.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scam, yes this is. I was trying to find reasons that would prove otherwise, but I just can't. Although the scammer are learning from their blaring past mistakes (double the asking price) quickly and refining their scam to be even more believable.

Here are a few things to watch out for:

* Somewhere in the scammer's email, you'll have a long sentences all put together into 1 paragraph without any punctuation. See below, I'll paste a snippet from the scammer's email. The thing to watch out for is bad grammar. But they are also getting better in this as well.

* They'll offer to pay you the deposit and shipping fee by check only. This does not make sense as all oversea payment are done via wire-transfer only. Why wait for the check to clear and let the bank determine what exchange rate to use when the check is deposited... On top of that, the amount of money being discussed, the wire-transfer fee is peanut or pocket change.

* They are no longer making offers that doubles your asking price. So watch out for this too. I was offered $1k below my asking.

Here is the snippet from the scam email:

"i will like to inform you that i will be having our local transporters to come to your location for a test drive process on the car and moreover I will have to make a down payment to you so as to make you reserve the car for me for not getting it sold to other interested buyer's till the test drive and the sale will be done as it would take time to get all of that done

I will make a down payment of $2000 and also I will include the test drive fees which will cost for $2500 and mind you I want the payment made out to you by check and also as soon as the funds of $4500 have been cleared into your account I will like you to have the car ready for the test drive process and also you will make the remaining funds of $2500 payable to the transporters to cover for the inspection/test drive fees and all other expenses during inspection"

·
Registered
931 Posts
This is a phantom company which isn't located in UK (how I think) if someone from Europe would like to buy a car there are guys from

Germany who live in the US. and they buy the cars for you.

-First I've got to contact the you and talk about the details and the price.

-After that I going contact the German guys and tell them what the price would be I'm willing to pay.

-Then the guys vistits you and test drives the car for me, and the decide if it is okay. Then they will talk with you about the price and try their best to lower it after that you get the check from them and the car is sold to the German dealer.

-They will ship it to Europe

-When the car arrives in Europe I've got to pay the price I've told them on the phone even if they paid only the half for it, then the taxes the shipping costs, the TÜV and for the work of the dealer.

-And after that really really long proces I finally could drive my US car.

That's how it works so if there are any diferences you shouldn't sell your car.

And my grammer isn't good as well, but I don't think it is really important:2:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

You were very lucky indeed.. definitely a scammer.. Of course he needed the car quickly, the scam is to make you think you are getting a great deal and force your hand before you can think rationally. Wire transfers to a holding account is usually the best way to handle overseas transactions like someone indicated earlier..

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Not sure if the point was made, but the 'scam' is $2500.

The key to the scam is to move you quickly between your deposit of the forged $4500 check, and your payment to the transport company (who is part of the scam)

People are caught unaware- they think "I have the money" and "I have the car"... WRONG. They never pick up the car!!!! They want you to prepay the transport and they disappear.

Personally I'd let them send the check, then call the FBI...see what they want to do.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A guy called Clint Moris tried this scam with me, he made out he was in Milan, Italy. I would be interested to see if it is the same guy. I traced him to California.

·
Registered
493 Posts
"i will like to inform you that i will be having our local transporters to come to your location for a test drive process on the car and moreover I will have to make a down payment to you so as to make you reserve the car for me for not getting it sold to other interested buyer's till the test drive and the sale will be done as it would take time to get all of that done

I will make a down payment of $2000 and also I will include the test drive fees which will cost for $2500 and mind you I want the payment made out to you by check and also as soon as the funds of $4500 have been cleared into your account I will like you to have the car ready for the test drive process and also you will make the remaining funds of $2500 payable to the transporters to cover for the inspection/test drive fees and all other expenses during inspection"
OMG!!!!! that is the exact type of email I received!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts