BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I defected and am now the owner of a 2005 997S. Since I can't justify having the Porsche and the M5 (although I LOVE looking in my garage atm), Im selling my M5.

Anyone have info on what M5's are actually going for these days?

Vital Stats:

2001 Anthracite, Aluminum, PDC, Premium Sound, Sport Leather.

Some rockchips on the front airdam, a small scratch here and there. Minor curb rash on 3 of the wheels. 31k Miles w/ lots of tread left on the tires. Car is otherwise immaculate w/ zero mechanical/electrical problems.

Thanks!

-Tchi

·
Registered
837 Posts
Nice replacement, I am leaning towards a P-car down the road, enjoy, Josh

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Congrats on the 997S. I too have been spending so time looking in the "P" camp. Please post pics.

Enjoy
T.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I dont know a whole lot about the 997s but what would you say some of differences or compared to an M5, ie faster more torque, good ride, stiff ride, good daily driver? basically if I dont need a four door car is it a good replacement for the M5 or is there some things that an avergae M5 driver might not like about the 997S, just wondering what your thoughts are since you have both, Josh

·
Registered
377 Posts
dens said:
Mid 40's sounds about right. I paid 42K, but had 46,000 miles. Otherwise it sounds about the same condition.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ahhhh........A man with enough sense to thin the flock when necessary! Good choice on the 997

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The 997S is a superb daily driver. Porsche implemented an active suspension technology (PASM) that allows for a relaxed "normal" mode that really handles bumps well, yet, with the push of a button, you can dial in tooth rattling stiffness for when you really want to get on it.

The cabin has also been completely redone, and with the active sports seats (which I have), you have a ton of adjustment options: side bolsters, leg bolsters, lumbar, etc. At 6'4" I actually have more leg room in the Porsche than I did in the BMW (although the width is a bit tighter in the Porsche).

In terms of performance, the Porsche is a pure sports car: the sound (oh the sound), the handling, the engine response (although the M5 is no slouch on the last) are really just on a different level from the BMW. Which is to be expected since the M5 is really a hybrid: a fantastic performance luxury sedan. The Porsche, while much more luxurious than prior models (fit and finish is on par w/ Audi interiors now), still feels every inch the pure sports car. The driving experience is simply put: exciting. The gear box is easily the best I've ever tried out too, with short throws and laser-like precision.

Yes, Im a fan of the Porsche. But, if you need to seat 4 people, you can't beat the M5. However, if you want a more immediate, exciting, and visceral driving experience, the Porsche is the car for you.

I do have a few nits though:

1. No satellite radio option
2. Windshield wipers are a bit anemic, although they work
3. No spare (something I didnt like about the M5 either)
4. The fasten seatbelt warning claxon will. not. turn. off. ever. unless you put the seatbelt in
5. No audible when you lock/unlock the car

Really, with this last iteration, Porsche has hit a home run. Consider this, my dad who drives a 996TT drove my car and is now seriously considering dropping the turbo for a 06 997 4S.

Ok, hopefully Porsche marketing will send me a nice check for this cherrsagai

If you have any other questions, just ask.

-Tchi

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on the Porsche, I enjoyed reading your comments and I also saw your thread on the Rennlist forum. What color combination and options did you get?

Thanks
Terk.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lets see...

Arctic silver
Black full leather
Nav
Colored caps in wheels
Sport chrono
Bose surround
CD changer
Porsche crest in headrest
Auto dimming mirrors
Adaptive Sport Seats
Carrera classic wheels
Heated seats
Multifunction steering wheel
Black mats w/ Porsche lettering

Ill post some pics once I find my flash memory for the camera :p

-Tchi

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Tchi said:
4. The fasten seatbelt warning claxon will. not. turn. off. ever. unless you put the seatbelt in
5. No audible when you lock/unlock the car
4. Tell me about it! ouich Same thing with the Cayenne. There must be a way to over-ride it.
5. There should be a way to make at least the lock audible. check to see if you have the alarm option. you may not be able to make it audible w/o the alarm option.

·
Registered
612 Posts
davem3smg said:
4. Tell me about it! ouich Same thing with the Cayenne. There must be a way to over-ride it.
Dave and Tchi, are you guys trying to drive without your safety belts on?ouich
I would never do that in ANY car - but especially not in a high performance car. :confused3

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Tchi said:
Well, I defected and am now the owner of a 2005 997S. Since I can't justify having the Porsche and the M5 (although I LOVE looking in my garage atm), Im selling my M5.

Anyone have info on what M5's are actually going for these days?
-Tchi
Check Ebay - prices are pretty depressing.

Steve
00 M5
99 996

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stickman said:
I would never do that in ANY car - but especially not in a high performance car. :confused3
I agree, but when Im in my subdivision (where everyone goes ~10mph) I dont want to get beeped at for taking my seat belt off. Or, If I pull into a parking lot and remove my belt early...

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Tchi said:
Lets see...

Arctic silver
Black full leather
Nav
Colored caps in wheels
Sport chrono
Bose surround
CD changer
Porsche crest in headrest
Auto dimming mirrors
Adaptive Sport Seats
Carrera classic wheels
Heated seats
Multifunction steering wheel
Black mats w/ Porsche lettering

Ill post some pics once I find my flash memory for the camera :p

-Tchi
Nice configuaration. Don't you just love how looooooong the Porche options list is.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Stickman said:
No, I always wear my belt for any reasonable distance regardless of the fact that it's the law to wear your seat belt in illinois. But if you're just moving the car in the driveway or getting situated after getting into the car, the thing dings incessently. It's more annoying than you would think.

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
davem3smg said:
No, I always wear my belt for any reasonable distance regardless of the fact that it's the law to wear your seat belt in illinois. But if you're just moving the car in the driveway or getting situated after getting into the car, the thing dings incessently. It's more annoying than you would think.
There should be a module for the sound. If you unplug it, sound should be dead. Did that on my Audi, light still flashes, but no noise. Car makers are getting more sophiticated, so it may serve multiple purposes, and may be more difficult to unplug depending on what else it is tied into. Not sure where BMW hides the module, I would guess under the dash, but follow the sound.........
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
gsfent said:
There should be a module for the sound. If you unplug it, sound should be dead. Did that on my Audi, light still flashes, but no noise. Car makers are getting more sophiticated, so it may serve multiple purposes, and may be more difficult to unplug depending on what else it is tied into. Not sure where BMW hides the module, I would guess under the dash, but follow the sound.........
Regards,
Jerry
Yeah, I ended up doing that on my chevy tahoe because it drove me nuts when I was washing the car and the door was open, but that disabled the buzzer for when you leave the lights on to. Not a big deal at night, but I need to have the lights on by law when it's raining even if it isn't dark so I have to remember to turn the lights off when I get out. Oh well...
thanks though

1 - 20 of 22 Posts