BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 01 listed on Auto Trader right now. It's been on for about 2 weeks.

The first call was some guy on the East coast, who, "as long as there wasn't any check engine lights" was ready to buy the car - sight unseen. He was ready to wire me the money and have a truck pick it up. I told him I would not consider this. Really, who ever is in the market for one of our cars would want to show up in person, look the car over, ask lots of questions and maybe even drive it and have it looked at professionally. I could see the truck driving away with my car on it and the bank calling 15 minutes later telling me that their funds didn't clear.

The second guy, who I am talking with now, has asked a lot of questions via email and has asked for my number repeated times, but has not called me yet. He has asked for hi rez images of the car and a Carfax, which I have a copy of from the dealer I purchased it from. I plan to provide these to him. He has been trying to negotiate the price down and has finally made an offer to fly out and buy the car if I agree to his latest offer. At this point, if I knew this guy was legit and had the actual funds, I would make the sale. I am not in a hurry to sell, but I would like to sell before end of Summer. I don't really know what to ask this guy to find out if he is for real or may be trying something else.

One other call I received was from some assumed company, who left a recording about their service, which would market and help sell my vehicle. Again, doesn't seem above board.

I'm posting this for advice from anyone who has sold a car on their own before with good results and things to look out for. I've heard too many horror stories about funds being wired and not clearing after the buyer has the car in their possession, etc. What terms have some of you asked for? For instance, has anyone used an escrow service to make sure the funds are real and hold them until all parties are satisfied with the transaction? Any feedback is appreciated and if you're interested, here's the Auto Trader ID: E78ACD0

·
Registered
271 Posts
If the buyer is not flying in to pick up the car, I have always used an escrow service. If the buyer flies in, then I have either been paid in cash or cashiers check from a known bank. If you want a little more assurance the check is good, I would call the bank issuing it. Other than that, you should be fine. I've never had a problem with money that was wired. I would just call my bank and confirm the funds have in fact been cleared. There should not be any delay in wired funds clearing or any hold placed on your account.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I know how you feel sorta.This past weekend I sold One of my dirt bikes.The guys show up and seemed ok. I told the wife before they got there to take piks while we were checkin out the bike(she took piks of them,the truck and the plate on there truck just in case). They never knew she did it either.50-20's fresh out of the ATM and 7 hundred dollar bills was kinda weird.

So back to your car,I'm in the market and interested in yours(white is in the top half of colors considered). How bout posting up some piks of the music maker and trunk. Fold down seats? Clutch,brakes and tire condition? Mods? Window tint? How long have you had it? Warranty? Any other info not in the ad.

Thanks.:M5rev:

Reactions: tstach

·
Registered
128 Posts
I work for a bank and as far as I know once the wired funds are in your account than they have cleared, because no bank will send money in a wire form to another bank unless they are sure to collect it, which means it probably came from the an account at that bank. And once they send that money it is better than any certified check (i.e. cashiers check) as those are known to be forged often. I see one at least once a week. Wire Transfers are by far the safest, assuming you know who you are giving your account number to. My suggestion is open a account just for that wire to be received (preferably a savings account with a $100 deposit). That way the most you stand to loose is $100 (if that).

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Yep....

I work for a bank and as far as I know once the wired funds are in your account than they have cleared, because no bank will send money in a wire form to another bank unless they are sure to collect it, which means it probably came from the an account at that bank. And once they send that money it is better than any certified check (i.e. cashiers check) as those are known to be forged often. I see one at least once a week. Wire Transfers are by far the safest, assuming you know who you are giving your account number to. My suggestion is open a account just for that wire to be received (preferably a savings account with a $100 deposit). That way the most you stand to loose is $100 (if that).
+1. I'm a retired bank president, with 34 years of experience. 'Seen it all. The above is very good advice. Good luck.

Reactions: Yonkers and tstach

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your wise information. I think I will open a new account for this, so that my existing # would not be given out.

Hopefully this guy is serious and wants to drive one of the best!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update on my selling experience.

My second inquiry finally called me today. First call was a bad connection, which was lost. I called his number back, which is a cell number listed in the Philidelphia area. The 3 times I tried to call him back, it went directly to voice mail. I left a message. He called me back and asked more questions about the car. Initially, he told me he would fly out and buy the car in person. Now, he is telling me that he has a dealer, who would actually be the one to buy the car. He also asked me if I would consider restating the mileage to something under 70,000, which is obviously fraud. His reasoning is that his "bank" would not finance a used vehicle over 70k miles. He shifts gears again and tells me that he may not be able to come out for the car after all due to family being in town from the UK, but his dealer car connection USA, or something like that, would make all financial arrangements and send a truck to pick the car up.

This was similar to the other caller I had, where they just wanted to buy the car sight-unseen and send a truck for it.

Time to revise the ad to specify LOCAL INQUIRIES ONLY, I guess. My thoughts are that if you cannot show up in person to see the car I'm selling, then you're probably a scammer. I've got nothing to hide on the selling end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts