BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so i have a 2006 M5, good condition, clean, satisfies me very well. I found a HPF stage 2 e46 m3 for sale near me and was wondering would the change be worth it to get the HPF M3? I know that the M3 is faster but by how much? anyone's opinion is welcome!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is very true, but Im just looking for performance and a stage 2 would pull very easily on my M5...

·
Registered
111 Posts
do you have a link for the m3? whats the milage, full specs.. drive train? who did the instal. how many miles on the kit vs the motor. are you trading? or buying?

·
Registered
204 Posts
had an e46 m3, hpf stage 2 will definetly pull on the m5. However, the m5 is just a better more refined car with zero problems do all the bolt on and you make a very reliable 510 wheel.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I came from an e46 m3..of course it wasn't hpf stage 2 but its a totally different car....I wouldn't do that if i were you...M5 is always an M5 no matter what..

·
Registered
636 Posts
Lee, it boils down to personal preference.

I have an AA SC stg2 E46 M3 going HPF stg 2.5 now and before the HPF kit i was pulling on an E60 M5 all the way to 135mph so as far as power and speed yes i think the HPF stg 2 will walk away from an E60 M5 but is that ALL your looking for?

i am interested in an E60 M5 simply for the space/room i will gain to seat my kids. i am certainly NOT looking forward to the decrease in MPG's and the increase in maintenance but we are all different and like or require different things from our cars.

I mean i do not own an E60 M5 yet but from what i have driven them so far your not going to cut a corner like an E46 M3 will nor will you itch someone try's you from a stand still like in a F/I E46 M3. i find the E60/E62 Slower off the line than the M3 but the E60 i drove was an SMG not a 6 speed.

i say visit the guy and have a few friendly races so you know 1st hand what the differences are between your M5 and that particular HPF stg 2 E46 M3!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Lee,

Believe me, if you want to be another kid with an M3, do it. But after you have it you'll soon miss and appreciate the time you had your M5. Just saying, look at Orange County, then look at how many people our age are driving M5s. Just my point.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Lee, it boils down to personal preference.

I have an AA SC stg2 E46 M3 going HPF stg 2.5 now and before the HPF kit i was pulling on an E60 M5 all the way to 135mph so as far as power and speed yes i think the HPF stg 2 will walk away from an E60 M5 but is that ALL your looking for?

i am interested in an E60 M5 simply for the space/room i will gain to seat my kids. i am certainly NOT looking forward to the decrease in MPG's and the increase in maintenance but we are all different and like or require different things from our cars.

I mean i do not own an E60 M5 yet but from what i have driven them so far your not going to cut a corner like an E46 M3 will nor will you itch someone try's you from a stand still like in a F/I E46 M3. i find the E60/E62 Slower off the line than the M3 but the E60 i drove was an SMG not a 6 speed.

i say visit the guy and have a few friendly races so you know 1st hand what the differences are between your M5 and that particular HPF stg 2 E46 M3!
+ 1

With the HPF M3, you shall only get more power.

As a package I shall always prefer an M5. Besides, you get to drive a V10. There are not many cars out there that come with a V10.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lee,

Believe me, if you want to be another kid with an M3, do it. But after you have it you'll soon miss and appreciate the time you had your M5. Just saying, look at Orange County, then look at how many people our age are driving M5s. Just my point.
Ya i agree, i was just looking for more power, but after thinking i would rather have the joy of making my M5 faster over time rather then just getting all the power handed to me at once. Plus a tune, and exhaust should be in my near future so the performance is on the rise!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I'm glad you feel that way. If you need more convincing on how fast the M5 can be I'll let you drive mine :)

Ya i agree, i was just looking for more power, but after thinking i would rather have the joy of making my M5 faster over time rather then just getting all the power handed to me at once. Plus a tune, and exhaust should be in my near future so the performance is on the rise!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well as of now I am 100% convinced again because the money that will be coming in within the next few weeks will allow me the tune, and hopefull the exhaust as well :) Maybe we should put our M5's to the test once i get my goodies done?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
One of the best ideas. Let's do it, and we'll take vids too :)
You wont recognize my car though, it's a world different from last time

Well as of now I am 100% convinced again because the money that will be coming in within the next few weeks will allow me the tune, and hopefull the exhaust as well :) Maybe we should put our M5's to the test once i get my goodies done?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of the best ideas. Let's do it, and we'll take vids too :)
You wont recognize my car though, it's a world different from last time
Vids are a wonderful idea!! Well Im excited for this to happen. My car is a little different as well so looks like we have some fun to look forward too :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts