BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after more than 12 years with my M5, it's time to sell: bought a 911, and wife says I can't have both.

Here's my dilemma: while the overall condition is very good, there are a few things that I would do if I kept it. None of the things that could be repaired are impacting the performance of the car; most are cosmetic.

Since the car has about 147k miles, I'm just not sure if it would be worth the investment; i.e., fix and ask a higher price, or lower the price and let the next owner decide what he/she wants to do. Having said that, I HATE to have people think I have neglected the car and let it run down. It stopped being a daily driver when I retired in 2010, and needed maintenance and repairs have been done: I have 12 years of maintenance records, and a spreadsheet itemizing such.

So, given those parameters, and the current state of the market, I'd love to hear opinions on how I should proceed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
Rich are you thinking about the interior? I can't recall if you ever had the Caramel redone or not. You can have Brian refresh the seats and steering wheel for a very reasonable cost, and they'll look amazing. I can't fathom not at least breaking even on funding that work (if it's needed).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like you plan to sell it yourself. Having just sold my 93 E34 on BaT, I'm convinced that 's the way to go. I found some of my notes from earlier in the year when I was considering selling and I was thinking 18k (based on KBB). EAG made a direct offer a little above that. It actually sold for $50k which was beyond my wildest expectations. I tried to make mine as like-new as possible but did leave a few things untouched (e.g. one mirror motor), which I documented in the description and on-line comments.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Forget about using KBB as pricing guideline for these cars. It's worthless. See EAG and BaT for the Unicorns, this forum and BMWCCA for enthusiast-owned cars, internet sites like Autotrader. I've never used Ebay so can't comment. Mr. Market knows all! Keep in mind BMW brought only 10,000 of these to the NA market 2000-2003. Many are gone, a bunch hacked up and flogged, but there's many waiting to be brought back to standard.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
What things are you considering fixing before the sale? I agree with Chuck in that cosmetic fixes (for better or worse) are what will likely bring you more money on the sale.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cosmetic Fixes

Just two things, really: the caramel interior, and a small hole in the back bumper cover (someone backed into me in a parking lot, and left without acknowledging that they had hit my car - the hole is about the size of a quarter, and right under the driver's side black strip). The interior is something that I really should do, although it doesn't look that bad (mainly the driver's seat and door panel). But, I've seen Brian's work, and I agree that it would add value.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts
There ya go. Hire Brian to freshen the interior, and it probably doesn't make sense to buy a new bumper cover, paint it, install it. However, I know a couple of people who have used https://www.autopaintinaday.com/ for minor bumper cover repairs/paintwork like that and were shocked with how nice it turned out (note, I have no personal experience with this place, so word-of-mouth) -- might be worth an estimate at least.

·
Registered
860 Posts
As one who enjoys spending/wasting time on BaT, I'd say definitely fix up first. If you go the BaT route, an engaged and active seller goes a long way.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I would have the interior work done and also a paint correction/full detail. It's amazing how nice a car looks afterward... especially a car you've been looking at as long as you have... you start to glaze over imperfections that a "new set of eyes" (ie, potential buyers) will see easily. As for mechanical maintenance, it depends what it is. Certain things I would say can add intangible value but most stuff will not. Basic things like spark plugs, filters, fluid changes... some buyers will do those regardless of the maintenance history just for their own peace of mind and/or to use their favorite brands.

Post up some pics for us!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pictures

Ok, here are a few pictures I took recently (took me awhile to figure out why they weren't uploading).

The pixels in the dash were done, and the backlight changed to white at the same time. The center armrest was replaced with the Euro version, which removes the phone slot, and has a small tray under it. The cup holder is VERY handy there - I never use the two that are built in.

If you expand the picture of the rear, you can see the very small hole just under the black strip, right at the corner.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Looks like a nice car! That color combo is sought after by enthusiasts too.

If it were me, I'd do full detail work inside and out, replace the black kidney grills with OEM and simply disclose the rear bumper issue. You really can't even see it. I wouldn't spend money on any of the deferred maintenance items as you won't get your money back in the sale IMO.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Want to Sell?

Hell, Chuck, I don't want to sell the car now!

However, the deal I made with my wife on the 911 purchase necessitates the sale.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I saw this car down in New Bern a month or two ago with a few other M cars. As an AW M5 owner (though PO painted it blue), I was trying to point out to the rest of the family the rarity of the AW / Caramel / Full Leather interior.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New Bern

Yep, I was down there with the BMW club. Not-so-fun end of the day: I had parked at the restaurant, while the rest of the club parked over by Tryon Palace. When my wife and I want to leave, the car was dead, and the rest of the club was already heading home! WTF - I had no problems on the drive down from Raleigh. After I went through the "pessimistic" list of what I would need to do to get it home, I started thinking about what would make it go from running great to being absolutely dead. I decided it had to be the battery, or the battery cables. Anything more serious, and I would have to call someone to tow it back home. So, as the battery in these cars is in the trunk, and easily accessible, I uncovered it to find that one cable was loose! Problem solved! Of course, since I'm a little slow in the DIY department, all that took about a half hour in the 90+ heat, with a VERY unhappy wife .... I do think that the AW/caramel combination is a great looking M5: I still turn back to look at it as I'm walking away, thinking "Damn that's a good looking car!"

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is just my opinion but a 2000 with 147k on the clock seems to me to fall in the driver category. It's a little difficult to determine the condition of the interior without a picture or to really see the hole in the rear bumper. It is a great and desirable color and extended leather option, but still, to me just a driver. How much do you think it's worth? I would just sell and enjoy the 911.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2001 - Big Difference

OF COURSE it's a driver! But, a very nice driver, in a great color combination, in excellent condition, well cared for, with receipts dating from when I purchased the car.

As for selling it and enjoying the 911, that is exactly what I am doing. I purchased the 911 in CA, and drove it back to NC (3,633 miles), and loved every minute. As I get more used to the Porsche, I find it drives very different from the M5, but in a good way: more sports car, less sedan.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The interior refresh will go a long way in you getting top dollar for your M5. As Tim mentioned get it detailed and paint corrected and it will bring you plenty. When I purchased my 540i wagon the previous owner had a dog that it’s hair caused the leather to turn. It looked liked pee all rubbed into the seats. The leather was good I had it reconditioned and dyed and this really made the interior match the exterior. I paid $2300 for the wagon because it needed timing guides. I put new timing guides, chain, vanish seals, and coolant hoses/service. Redid the suspension. I drove the vehicle as a daily driver. I bought it with 155k and kept it for 3 years and sold it with 198k.i sold it for$8900. Had I not done the interior probably would have brought $6500. I spent $700 on the interior. It’s worth it especially when the rest of the car looks so good.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On Consignment

I have decided to take my car to European Performance, in Raleigh, and have them sell it on consignment; mostly because I will be traveling a lot in the next few months. They will do a few things to get it ready to sell, then put it on their lot and website. I'm not sure what the asking price will be: I've just set a minimum, and will let the professionals go from there. Here's their website: https://www.europeanperformance.net/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
11 Participants
Surveyor911
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing