BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering whether the rear shocks on my E34 M5, the self levelling type, are rebuildable. If not what does everyone recommed as a spring/shock replacement.

Cheers
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Given that you are in Oz, and unlikely to take up Garcia's option, I will say that my shocks were rebuilt by someone in Brisbane. The actual transaction was a bit of a cock-up, but the shocks seem to be OK. I will have to look at how much it cost me all up, by the time we replaced the accumulators (which generally are the first to fail and then overload the shocks) and the hoses, but it was cheaper than new ones from BM.

Where abouts are you in Australia?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
P.S. as also seems to be common, one of the springs was broken too, so more expense was incurred in getting two new springs. :sad3: The process seeems to be - accumulator fails, works shocks harder with pressure spikes causing leaks and sharp movements break springs. (my very own theory - YTMV)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
OZ///M5 said:
Thanks Geoff. I am in Brisbane. Was it a company called WW Suspension?

Thanks in advance.
I'll check with my mechanic tomorrow and let you know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Wassup guys,

I have 2 questions and you can probably help.
Does every e34 M5 have self leveling shocks?
And are there any good coilovers kits out there as a replacement?

Menno
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Oz,

Bad news - my mechanic doesn't want to give away his suppliers and have everyone who reads this bypass him. So I can just tell you it was someone in Brisbane - some others may know who it was.

Sorry:sad2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WTF.

Anyway. Spoke to a place in Brisbane who will do them. They have done them before a few times. Total cost of the rebuilt shocks and new accumulators is $1200AUD.

WW Shock Absorbers
33 Matheson St Virginia Queensland Australia.
(07) 3265 2133

Pass on my thanks to your Mechanic. Helpful fella that he is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
M540i LE said:
A question. Are you talking about repairing self levelling shocks, or EDCIII shocks? Regardless, are the crowd in Brisbane able to repair EDCIII shocks?

Thanks
Ok now I am confused. I am not sure what EDCIII shocks are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,767 Posts
I am no expert, but my understanding of the 'self levelling rear shocks' is that they are just that. Shocks that keep the car level despite load and movement dynamics. I believe these are more common and simpler than the EDCIII shocks.

The EDCIII shocks, which were fitted to most later model E34 M5's and some special edition 1995 540i's (as well as some? 8 series and other BMW's), are a more dynamic sort of shock. The EDC stands for electronic damper control. As I understand it, the car has a number of electronic sensors that detect the manner in which the car is being driven and, when switched to 'P' or 'K' (normal) mode, will adjust the performance of the shocks to suit - within milliseconds!

When switched to 'S' mode, a firmer sportier performance is maintained.

The advantage is supposed to be that a more comfortable ride can be achieved in regular driving and at the same time, the car will detect the need for a firmer ride and automatically adjust.

I am not sure but believe the non-EDCIII self levelling shocks can be obtained fairly inexpensively relative to the cost of EDCIII shocks, which in Australia retail at the dealer for almost $2000 each.

I recently fitted 2 new front EDCIII shocks to my 540iLE but achieved some savings by purchasing through BMA in the US and paying import duties etc.

So when the time comes to replace the rears, I will either send to Garcia, or use a local option if it is available, to repair.

Incidentally, I have a used pair of front EDCIII shocks that could be used for experimental purposes.

Cheers

OZ///M5 said:
Ok now I am confused. I am not sure what EDCIII shocks are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ahh ok. Give WW a call. He seemed to know exactly what I was talking baout when I spoke ot him so I believe he has a good understanding of the various BMW shocks available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
OZ///M5 said:
I am just wondering whether the rear shocks on my E34 M5, the self levelling type, are rebuildable. If not what does everyone recommed as a spring/shock replacement.
Having done a careful analysis of the E34 M5's camber and toe curves, specifically how they change with ride height, I recommend that you stick with factory rear springs and keep the self leveling shocks.

The BMW engineers lowered the car just to the edge of a very nasty point in the camber curve. In my opinion, further lowering of the car will have negative effects on handling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,767 Posts
Did he rebuild just the shocks and supply new accumulators, or did he rebuild both?

Cheers

OZ///M5 said:
WTF.

Anyway. Spoke to a place in Brisbane who will do them. They have done them before a few times. Total cost of the rebuilt shocks and new accumulators is $1200AUD.

WW Shock Absorbers
33 Matheson St Virginia Queensland Australia.
(07) 3265 2133

Pass on my thanks to your Mechanic. Helpful fella that he is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
I just replaced my suspension 3.6 SLS set up with H&R springs all round, and koni shocks on the rears. Parts was less than 2 new SLS rear shocks that I needed. handling is vastly improved, and wafty roll eliminated. Slightly harder lower ride but def worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,263 Posts
illjah said:
I just replaced my suspension 3.6 SLS set up with H&R springs all round, and koni shocks on the rears. Parts was less than 2 new SLS rear shocks that I needed. handling is vastly improved, and wafty roll eliminated. Slightly harder lower ride but def worth it.
How much cash are you going to spend on your motor....??? Every time you post something more to improve your car has been done - fair play !!!

She will be a different car by the time you take her to the 'ring' next year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
Jon Baker said:
How much cash are you going to spend on your motor....??? Every time you post something more to improve your car has been done - fair play !!!

She will be a different car by the time you take her to the 'ring' next year.
eh-hehehehehehehe

yeah I know, just wanna get it all sorted in time. Interior is going in soon (about time too!) really gotta get the front koni's on, which will mean replacement front legs as old shocks are siezed in BADLY, then I want a strut brace, kds alignment done, sort out the stereo, and maybe even get the body work touched up!!

Hopefully won't write it off on the first corner...... that would be bad.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top