BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has probably been discussed on here before, but I have been having trouble finding a thread and things online on how to delete the SLS. I just purchased a new suspension kit for my 1991 E34 M5 and will have to do this deletion. If any of you fellow M5 owners know how to or can send me a link of the directions on how to do it, it will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
900 Posts
There are a few parts to performing a correct delete. I am not versed on the electrical end so I cannot comment on that. On my '91 M5 that portion was not done correctly and a regular SLS warning and chime would occur when driving. On my '93 M5 that portion was done correctly and has no indication for SLS. As for the hydraulic portion, I learned the hard way what needs to be done. There are two types of power steering pump your car may be equipped with. I will try and dig up the info with pics since it will be easier than explaining. Basically I got lucky and had to make a minor modification to my pump that was very simple and at that point I blocked off the port for the SLS at the pump and went on my way. Link with pics to come.

Brian

Here is one route that was recommended to me. I did not choose this route because my pump was the type that was easily modified. My pump modification required removing a screw, taking out the ball and spring under it and reinstalling the screw. The other pump would require taking apart the pump and grinding the lobe off the camshaft in the pump. Obviously this is a lot more work and not reversible which is a road I personally would not venture down.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...-spending-week-my-mistress-2.html#post1684491

Another solution is finding a pump from another vehicle that doesn't have SLS (non M5) which requires different hoses and a bit more research. I didn't look into this route that much after I realized it was a whole other can of worms. I believe it was a 535i pump but don't quote me on that. I'm still looking for the pump modification write up.

·
Registered
900 Posts
About the SLS, on 50% of the cars, the pump modification is simple. There's a big plug with a + on it on the sandwich section of the pump where the SLS lines route from, if you screw that out with a big cross- or flat blade screwdriver, take out the pivot pin and spring and it no longer builds pressure there. There's a camshaft inside the pump with two cams, one for the power steering and the second one directly below the + plug which pressurizes the SLS.

On the other cars, this plug does not exist. In that case, the pump must me taken apart and the cam grinded off, however it would be better to get the other type pump. On 3.6's these pumps are both being used simultaniously so there's no telling which you have apart from looking at it . My experience is that most US cars have the 'good' pump. You can simply take the whole SLS hosing off the pump, block the return into the cannister and done. And cap off the SLS opening in the pump ofcourse. You can see that I used a big hex bolt in the long thread about my major wrenching in 2008 (?) .
This was from a PM from Wout when I was going through my SLS woes. Much better explanation than the one I provided.

Start of SLS pump modification explanation
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5-discussion/76846-major-wrenching-coming-up-8.html
More details on SLS delete.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5-discussion/76846-major-wrenching-coming-up-11.html

·
Registered
900 Posts
The first link is the link I was looking for I think. Simple and to the point. The second thread is way overkill. There is no need to disassemble the pump or modify it to that extent if you have the access screws to remove the one spring and piston required to modify the pump. KISS. Keep it stupid simple.

Cheers,

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts