BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Last week I hit a curb really bad, so the right front wheel had to be replaced and I also cracked the front spoiler (hit a black ice and..). Anyways, all these issues are being (or will be) taken care of. Today, driving at night I have noticed another issue: the low beam lights flicker a lot. I mean that lights stay on, but when I drive over the joint on the road (and GW Parkway has a lot of them), each time I go over the joint, I see that the light cone on the road is vibrating as if the damping on the lights' self-leveling mechanism is absent and lights are hanging on undamped springs. Could you please advise what could go wrong and what should I check and replace? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
broken adjusters, your auto adjusting and adjusters are 2 different things.

check your headlights and see if you can move the bulbs around easily.

grab the bulb and if there's any play then you have broken adjusters.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for this suggestion. I did as you said and yes, I can move lights easily with a finger. I am currently on the www.realoem.com but cannot see that part on the diagram :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Make sure that the auto-adjusting "thingy" didn't come off of the front right control arm as well. Your point of impact is right where that sensor attaches to the control arm. It's held on by a "snapclip" that could easily come loose during a hard hit.

Here's one for sale on eBay...notice the metal clip in the upper left. That part goes around front control arm and snaps to itself. Dunno if that coming off the control arm could give your symptoms, but who knows? If it is unhooked realize there's an indent on the control arm that is the ONLY place it will properly hook around and snap. You may need to clean road grime off the arm to enable the snap. I did when I installed my PowerFlex bushings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...9?IMSfp=TL090209212008r14048#ebayphotohosting

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you can get the adjuster for $25 off ebay. dealer sells them too.
thanks, I see them on realoem too. One question: how long does it take to replace adjusters and would it make sense to replace 2000 lights with 2001+ instead? One more question: until I get those adjusters replaced is there any way to fix the lights, so I do not see that flickering/vibration? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Make sure that the auto-adjusting "thingy" didn't come off of the front right control arm as well. Your point of impact is right where that sensor attaches to the control arm. It's held on by a "snapclip" that could easily come loose during a hard hit.

Here's one for sale on eBay...notice the metal clip in the upper right. That part goes around front control arm and snaps to itself. Dunno if that coming off the control arm could give your symptoms, but who knows?

eBay Motors: BMW E39 M5 540 VERTICAL HEADLIGHT SENSOR OEM COMPLETE (item 230324563727 end time Feb-15-09 20:14:43 PST)

that has absolutely no relevance if his adjusters are broken which he already confirmed...

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Gee thanks for that...kinda why I wrote "but who knows?" But since he hit a curb on the right-front of his car hard enough to need a new wheel is it that crazy for him to just confirm that that gadget is still attached?
Just a suggestion OP.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Gee thanks for that...kinda why I wrote "but who knows?" But since he hit a curb on the right-front of his car hard enough to need a new wheel is it that crazy for him to just confirm that that gadget is still attached?
Just a suggestion OP.

yea you're right

there was no need for that, my apologies.

-R

·
Registered
3,276 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GEICO is paying for that.. but frankly speaking I am not so happy about the way they handle it. For example they want to pay for the wheel repair so I can reuse it even given that it is not just bent, but also in one spot (about 3 cm long) rim is completely detached from the wheel. Anyway. let's see what happenZ. Thank you for your help, guys :)

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
GEICO is paying for that.. but frankly speaking I am not so happy about the way they handle it. For example they want to pay for the wheel repair so I can reuse it even given that it is not just bent, but also in one spot (about 3 cm long) rim is completely detached from the wheel. Anyway. let's see what happenZ. Thank you for your help, guys :)
for insurance companies, as long as corporate see's part fixed or refurbished part they think all is well. push for the new parts and they will break after a certain point. i had to blow a head gasket to have liberty mutual fix my car right.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
exactly!! that is why I told my mechanic to order a new wheel no matter what.. I will have some one from BMW to tell them that BROKEN wheel should not be put on a car like M5. Speaking about new parts, I am thinking to replace 00 with 01 "angel eyes" headlights, even if I have to cover the difference in price. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
how much is insurance giving you for the light? it all depends on what they are giving you...see what everything breaks down to.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
they did not include lights in the assessment - lights looked OK and the car was sitting in my garage. Today I have replaced the wheel and took it for a test drive. This is how I found about vibrating headlights. I will bring it tomorrow to my tech for bumper replacement, and want him to talk with GEICO about the lights.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts