BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Page 2 of the 8 page discussion on the article Jnr ............ I am a legend , although the name of the poster concerns me !

And I quote :

I love the E34 M5s. I currently have an E34 3.6 in Macau Blue - superb car in every way. Most enthusiats will state that the 3.6 is a more durable, less problematic unit than the 3.8s.

It still shocks me how something so big and heavy, can be so quick, agile and planted. The steering is like putty in your hands.

Awesome machines. I love the looks and boxy shape of the E34, so the M5 is the perfect car for me! Definitely one of the best-built M Cars. And they are now going up in value.

In terms of running costs, although they don't have Vanos, parts are still pretty expensive, as they are hard to get hold of and alot of parts on the E34 M5 are specific to that car only.

My one is currently off the road, as it needs a new gearbox and exhaust. New exhaust from BMW is 850 + VAT. I got one from a breaker on eBay, for around £200, and it is in near mint condition!

Gearbox is well over £1500 - however, I have managed to source another 3.6 gearbox for under £500.

classic MD Autos (by Dave Olias) is one of the Oracles to go to for any BMW E34 M5 parts / servicing, etc. He really does know his s
t!

The E36 M3s are briliant cars, but I just find that, compared to the M5s, these tend to be more 'chavved up', modified and more common. When is the last time you saw an E30 M3 or E34 M5 on the road? In terms of looks, BMW M cars were perfection when they come out, so I hate seeing them with silly boy racer mods done to them (IMO, of course!). Again, the 3.0 Litre engines are said to be better than the 3.2s, in terms of general robustness.

I have a set of genuine 17" Aplina Alloys with staggered fitment lying around (removed from a B10 Bi-Turbo) which I might chuck on. Apart from that, there is nothing I would want to change on that car!

My ultimate M Car would have to be an E30 M3 Evo Sport II, in Misano Red. Trying finding an immaculate example of one of them for less than £35k!

I agree with the article - there is an M Car for every budget. Just be sure to thoroughly inspect it's ownership and service history, and if it's a straight car, you really can't go wrong. Take someone along with you, who is well-acquainted with them. They are pretty bulletproof engines, just need to have been maintained correctly.

Be aware that they do like a drink, and it's hard not to drive them enthusiastically!

pSyCoSiS

Good article though Sub8 , thanks for sharing !

D

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Though the cars themselves may be cheap on initial purchase it is hardly a case of 'if you can't afford one, you probably don't have a job'.

How much was that recent quote for a new cat? Almost £1.5k...[is that a faint taste of vomit permeating my gums?]

And I shudder to think how much I would have to pay for insurance if I ran mine in London...

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Agreed , Lantz .......... Although running almost any car in the UK at the moment is hardly an effort in money saving !

There is no doubt that the E34 M5 is simply so much car for the money at today's prices , especially in the UK !

D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts