BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cool: I would appreciate any M5 board member recommendations for independent shops in mid-west area that have experience replacing rod bearings on an S62 (Grand Rapids, Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, Chicago, Indianapolis, Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville, Nashville).

My beast has turned 60k and had some elevated oil analysis copper readings (16-18ppm); although readings have been stable over last 20k miles. Engine is bone stock and otherwise in very good condition. It uses less than 1/2 quart of oil in 7500 miles. I've owned the car for last 30k miles but don't have good knowledge how the car was used (or abused) for 1st 30k miles. The rest of the car is in top condition and seems to have been well taken care of.

I plan to keep for several more years and would like to ease my mind about a catastrophic rod bearing failure. I would like to find the closest reputable shop with good history/experience replacing rod bearings on the S62. If necessary, I may consider driving several hundred miles and use a round-trip airfare ticket for piece of mind for the right shop at a fair price.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
do you have any issues now? if not I wouldnt change them. I go by the if it ant broke dont fix it. if there are no problems why mess with it and risk other issues taking it apart? there is no guarantee the new bearings will last any longer, leave it alone and enjoy the car an worry about issues when they arrise.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
DIY!

Just kidding.

This is the replacement for my project car(The car had 83k when 2 rods broke).

I have been giving a lot of thought as to how I should service my DD e39 M5.

I'm starting to think sort of like they do with airplanes......x amount of hours and the engines come off for a total rebuild,period.

Jacks Transmissions in Denver is the only one I would trust as of today.

My 2002 SG E39 M5 is coming up on 92k and uses no oil.

After looking into the throttle bodies of the replacement engine I think a lot of oil consumption comes from the after effects of high reving.

After a high rev and the engine rev's back down in gear(engine braking) with the butterflys closed and under vacuum,I think this is allowing oil to be sucked in thru the intake valve guide seals into the engine and get burned.

Just my .02

Best of luck with your decision.

:M5rev:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lugnuts-Thanks. I appreciate your perspective. Most times I subscribe to the same strategy "don't fix it if it ain't broke." However, in this case, I have elevated copper readings on an engine that is known to have premature rod bearing failure...and most times, the failure results in catastrophe. Finding and or rebuilding an S62 isn't as straight forward as most other engines. My S62 is an unusually low oil consumer (from what I've read) and I'd like not to have to junk the car because of the challenges with finding a good used replacement and or rebuilding the engine. Other than the rod bearings, the S62 seems to be otherwise very solid and capable of going at least 200k miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flyin-M5- Thanks for your well wishes. I've actually considered replacing the rod bearings myself. Being a mechanical engineer with knuckle busting car restoration tendencies, I've disassembled a few '60s vintage VWs, Fords, Chevys and including a frame-off. But I've don't have too much experience on BMWs and I'm thinking a rod-bearing replacement isn't a good place to start; although I am curious to learn more and understand the German masterpiece known as the S62.

I assume each of the two blocks in the picture belong to each of the M5s in the background. Are you going to junk one of them? Or are both blocks rebuildable and you plan to get both beasts back on the road?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
The bearings in a BMW are not any different than the bearings in other cars, only a little pricier and that's only because of low production volume ;)

Good luck.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
personally I think people overthink things way too much with this car to the point of paranoia. I also think oil analysis should be taken with a grain of salt.

My car has more miles then you and I really dont think I need to swap my bearings because a small % of people on a forum have had issues. and if something goes wrong well there is always this option:
E39 S62 Engine Rebuild – Jacks Transmissions LLC
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...uild-jacks-transmissions-denver-colorado.html

I've spun bearings before and worked on many cars with spun bearings, if you catch it early enough a rebuild can be done. Obviously if you drive till it blows to pieces you will need a new motor.

do I some times get caught up in the paranoia? yea but then my logical side takes over and I remember its an engine with a small % of issues on a forum.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
The guy says hr has elevated copper readings in his UOA. And engineers are typically the over thinking type, heck, they get paid to do that. hiha. Having said that. is there any other sign of engine trouble? Noise, stumble, hiccup...

Reactions: AGM5

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate all the feedback. And, I get the paranoia comment...But as a friend of mine once said..."I might be paranoid but that doesn't mean they aren't out to get me" ;-)

Honestly, I've been back & forth on changing the rod bearings. I don't have any discernible symptoms or indications other than the UOA which as I indicated has been stable for last 20k miles. Occasionally, I experience what others have indicated as "lifter knock" when the car is started after longer periods of sitting. I don't drive the car hard and don't use it on a track. I wasn't aware of Jack's for a rebuild (currently $6,800). So that is an additional fall back consideration.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
The block on the ground is the blown up one and its gonna be a coffee table.

I don't have any experience with building engines for cars but I do with motorcycles.

The engine on the stand is a 80k+ replacement that I'm going to do a few things to( maybe rod bearings).

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If I were to read some of the sky is falling rod bearing threads here, I too would not be sleeping well.
... But @ 242,000 miles and rising on gasp, the 'original' bearings, I 'think' I'll pass - as most rational people here do....

Drive the car, change the oil often and live life to its fullest.
Vic

I appreciate all the feedback. And, I get the paranoia comment...But as a friend of mine once said..."I might be paranoid but that doesn't mean they aren't out to get me" ;-)

Honestly, I've been back & forth on changing the rod bearings. I don't have any discernible symptoms or indications other than the UOA which as I indicated has been stable for last 20k miles. Occasionally, I experience what others have indicated as "lifter knock" when the car is started after longer periods of sitting. I don't drive the car hard and don't use it on a track. I wasn't aware of Jack's for a rebuild (currently $6,800). So that is an additional fall back consideration.

·
Registered
933 Posts
How are your iron and lead readings?

·
Registered
220 Posts
All Speed Customs in Muskegon. Talk to Brian.

·
Registered
29 Posts
UOA sampling

Oil sampling is very complex especially on a motor with an in line filter, I perform oil samples on pumps and motors of vital equipment related to nuclear safeguards - that's the components that maintain reactor integrity. I seriously doubt that your oil sample is uniform and representative of the actual parent. The results from just performing a dip sample will yield inaccurate analysis every time. I almost laughed out load but realized this is some ones cash cow. Use your ears , use a stethoscope take vibration readings but for goodness sake stop with the oil analysis.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Oil sampling is very complex especially on a motor with an in line filter, I perform oil samples on pumps and motors of vital equipment related to nuclear safeguards - that's the components that maintain reactor integrity. I seriously doubt that your oil sample is uniform and representative of the actual parent. The results from just performing a dip sample will yield inaccurate analysis every time. I almost laughed out load but realized this is some ones cash cow. Use your ears , use a stethoscope take vibration readings but for goodness sake stop with the oil analysis.
:eek: You can't be serious. Everybody knows that any M5 is maintained with much more care than a nuclear reactor :eek:

:rofl:

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
one thing I was wondering is if the elivated copper could have come from the drain plug washer. and I agree on the oil analysis which is why I said to take them with a grain of salt, I think people here read way too much into them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
KingJaffeJoffer and others-

Following are my UOA Results

Blackstone
UOA 40k 50k 60k Univ.Avg.
Iron 9 16 15 14
Copper 7 10 10 5
Lead 17 18 19 5
Tin 2 0 3 1

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pagimo-
Thanks for the Muskegan recommendation. How much history and what kind of work have you had All Speed Customs do for you?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had multiple great experiences with Mike John's Imports. 2205 Dutch Ln, Jeffersonville, IN 47130.
I haven't replaced my rod bearings, nor do I know if they have done it before. But they recognize those who are passionate about their M and provide lots of information and keep good communications along the way which is great if you know more about cars than average Joe.
They done my suspension, exhaust, VANOS, and engine work over the last three years.

-Drew

1 - 20 of 36 Posts