BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm on the list for a new m5. the dealer i'm contracting will have me on the 2000-2001 cusp. Any strong feelings on 2000 vs 2001? Big increase in MSRP expected? Significant changes worth waiting for? The rear spoiler - anyone opting to have it deleted? colors: I've always been a black car guy. i haven't seen any of the new m5's in "real life" - rare as hen's teeth in this region. any strong feelings from current owners on carbon black vs jet black? Anybody particularly happy or unhappy with any specific interior scheme? many thanks, i look forward to your thoughts and opinions.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Go wit the spoiler: very subtle. Also, I'm a jet black and I can safely say that it's AMAZING. Personally, I'm not a fan of the dark blue tinge in Carbon black.

As far as '00 vs '01 goes, im a big fan of the '00, and feel that the new headlights are wierd. But then, you also get an upgraded nav system (one hopes, given that the current one blows big time).

The color scheme i have it Jet Black with the Black and Silverstone Interior with Aluminum (sport) trim. Simply drop dead gorgeous if you take care of it.

Hope that helps,--Dan

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I dunno. In my opinion, the whole silver thing is getting a bit tired. Yeah, it looked gorgeous when I saw it on a 550 maranello 5 years ago, but now it looks like they put the primer and wax straight onto bare metal.

--Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a '00 Carbon Black. Loved the car, but grew to hate the color so much that I sold it with 1600 miles on it.

Bought another '00, and made it Jet Black. Picking it up tomorrow, but I feel confident that I'll be happy with the color.

Obviously, it's all just personal taste, but you should know that the Carbon Black is really quite blue in any decent light.

All the best,

Robert

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Try Royal Red...quite rare...

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Originally posted by alpywhite:
Try Royal Red...quite rare...
I ahve the Carbon "Black" and when light shines on it, it really is blue. I really love it. If you prefer real black go with Jet Black.

IMHO I really prefer the real dark colors.

/Johan

·
Registered
533 Posts
imola red with black interior is a really nice color. one of my favorites fromt he spartanburg experience.

i have titanium silver with caramel interior. if you can get the combo i recommend it, but its not a standard issue thing and i got lucky i guess.

very elegant.

------------------
00' ///M5 Titanium Silver/Caramel
00' Vette convertible NBM

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have '00 M5 Titanium with black exclusive and spoiler delete. I wanted the rear sunshade (Valentine One rear radar detector works with sunshade deployed), and I was't sure I liked the looks of the spoiler (looks like an add-on, and is only functional at 100mph and above). I can always add the spoiler if I decide I like the looks. Lastly, I think the "light" colors show off the M5 lines, and black accents better (black is beatiful but a ***** to keep clean).

------------------
KEVIN

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
aside from a possible tiny difference at really high speed regarding the spoiler, its all personal opinion, heres my take:

exterior:

I opted for the spoiler and badges, I would prefer not to have badges in the black plastic door gard/bumpers on the sides, but thats life. I like the M Logo- its pretty. Color, I love black too- its very sleek. I tend to like metallic paints and I was strongly looking at carbon black, but then a friend told me to check out titanium silver, he felt that it showed the cars lines best out of the colors and I agreed. so thats what I ended up with. Ive seen black and silverstone in person and they are both striking. Im just not a red car person- it is a nice color in the brochure though. IMHO the two colors to avoid are white and green- I just dont think of BMWs when I see green, and white, well, its just white. lemans blue- too nuts for me. thats just my opinion, others will love those colors.

interior:
some say its a sports car so get the aluminum, some say its a sedan so get wood. I say whatever floats your boat. I prefer the wood. I got the black leather without the leather on the dash and sadly without the headliner. it just came that way. sunshade- get it. folding seats- if you dont need them, dont get them as they are suppoed to rattle. I dont have them and I hear no rattles from back there (~3800 miles) - except I hear the pannel on the floor that houses the mobility kit when I go over a big bump. PDC- if you can get it, and are ok with the look of the sensors, get it.

00 vs 01:
look around the site for links- the 01s will have a slightly different look- its mostly in the headlights and the nav screen is a wider slightly bigger screen although it looks like the software is identical. personally Id just wait for the new one, its got to be soon.

some random things to know:
some m5 engines (the earlier ones) need special 10w60 oil- you can only get it at the dealer- its advisable to have some extra quarts of it around- wrap one up in plastic and keep it in the trunk. dont use anything else unless you have no choice and then try to only use mobil 1 and only for topping off. the newer batch of engines use 5w30- I dont know if this is similar in that you can only get it at the dealers.

the nav system works well but can be slow when inputting data and when changing the scale of the image.

be viligant about checking your tire pressures every couple of weeks at least. many have tried different pressures. I find the pressure of 38 front/ 40 rear to give optimal ride and handling for street driving.

be viligant about checking the oil consumption- there are instructions in the book and on the engine bay- follow them literally. the car will probably consume a healthy amount of oil for the first couple thousand miles.

you might think- this is a pain in the neck- its not its just part of proper care of an exceptional machine. I promise you that when you drive it you will be impressed- no matter what colors you get!

ME

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
many thanks for taking the time to give such thoughtful and expert advice. have you ever seen an m5 in royal red?
Originally posted by MEnthusiast:
aside from a possible tiny difference at really high speed regarding the spoiler, its all personal opinion, heres my take:

exterior:

I opted for the spoiler and badges, I would prefer not to have badges in the black plastic door gard/bumpers on the sides, but thats life. I like the M Logo- its pretty. Color, I love black too- its very sleek. I tend to like metallic paints and I was strongly looking at carbon black, but then a friend told me to check out titanium silver, he felt that it showed the cars lines best out of the colors and I agreed. so thats what I ended up with. Ive seen black and silverstone in person and they are both striking. Im just not a red car person- it is a nice color in the brochure though. IMHO the two colors to avoid are white and green- I just dont think of BMWs when I see green, and white, well, its just white. lemans blue- too nuts for me. thats just my opinion, others will love those colors.

interior:
some say its a sports car so get the aluminum, some say its a sedan so get wood. I say whatever floats your boat. I prefer the wood. I got the black leather without the leather on the dash and sadly without the headliner. it just came that way. sunshade- get it. folding seats- if you dont need them, dont get them as they are suppoed to rattle. I dont have them and I hear no rattles from back there (~3800 miles) - except I hear the pannel on the floor that houses the mobility kit when I go over a big bump. PDC- if you can get it, and are ok with the look of the sensors, get it.

00 vs 01:
look around the site for links- the 01s will have a slightly different look- its mostly in the headlights and the nav screen is a wider slightly bigger screen although it looks like the software is identical. personally Id just wait for the new one, its got to be soon.

some random things to know:
some m5 engines (the earlier ones) need special 10w60 oil- you can only get it at the dealer- its advisable to have some extra quarts of it around- wrap one up in plastic and keep it in the trunk. dont use anything else unless you have no choice and then try to only use mobil 1 and only for topping off. the newer batch of engines use 5w30- I dont know if this is similar in that you can only get it at the dealers.

the nav system works well but can be slow when inputting data and when changing the scale of the image.

be viligant about checking your tire pressures every couple of weeks at least. many have tried different pressures. I find the pressure of 38 front/ 40 rear to give optimal ride and handling for street driving.

be viligant about checking the oil consumption- there are instructions in the book and on the engine bay- follow them literally. the car will probably consume a healthy amount of oil for the first couple thousand miles.

you might think- this is a pain in the neck- its not its just part of proper care of an exceptional machine. I promise you that when you drive it you will be impressed- no matter what colors you get!

ME

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
youre welcome

unfortuantely, nope- I havent, except for the brochure- it looks like a nice red- not that orangeish color you sometimes see in some manufacturers.

ME

·
Registered
302 Posts
ME,

Very nice exposition. I agree with you on practically all points. You were my inspiration for the 38/40 tire pressure solution, which I also find just right for my around-town, mostly solo driving.

I realize it's personal preference, but I would suggest you reserve judgment on the Le Mans Blue until you've seen it in the flesh. I saw one a few weeks ago on the parkway. I thought it was gorgeous, and I'm not generally a blue car person.

I also saw a Royal Red (not the Imola which is in the brochure), which is sort of Burgundy, also quite nice. I went with Anthracite, possibly the ultimate Stealth, which color nicely complements the rims.

Mine is a June 2000 build that takes the 50w30 oil. Funny I've got close to 3,500 miles and haven't had to add any oil. I understand that it's not necessary to get the oil only from the dealer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Royal red/caramel.

Royal red is a very good color for the M5. Looks great in the sun- kind of a dark metallic garnet color.

Caramel interior is also very nice looking. Makes the interior much lighter and the leather looks to be very high quality. I got the exclusive leather and was surprised to find that everything is covered in leather. Dashboard, both top and bottom and the headliner- dark gray suede. It looks like the interior of a $125,000 Aston Martin.

Spoiler won't make much difference. Very understated. I had to look to make sure that I had one. Good luck with your delivery time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
many thanks. sounds like a nice combination. i'll think hard about that.
Originally posted by Jim Catington:
Royal red/caramel.

Royal red is a very good color for the M5. Looks great in the sun- kind of a dark metallic garnet color.

Caramel interior is also very nice looking. Makes the interior much lighter and the leather looks to be very high quality. I got the exclusive leather and was surprised to find that everything is covered in leather. Dashboard, both top and bottom and the headliner- dark gray suede. It looks like the interior of a $125,000 Aston Martin.

Spoiler won't make much difference. Very understated. I had to look to make sure that I had one. Good luck with your delivery time.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Tom,
thanks for the kind words- youre right, these colors should be seen in person, so I will reserve judgement until I see it up close and personal.

a question about the 5w30 engine- wheres the oil dipstick? I heard they moved it to the left side for the z8s that have 5w30 engines. the engine in my m5 needs 10w60 and the stick is in the front. just curious.

ME

·
Registered
302 Posts
ME,

Just had to run out to the garage to check.

As you face the front of the car, it's in the crook of the hose on the left of the engine, but toward the front. It's displayed in the Owner's Manual on page 124 and doesn't appear to have been updated with a paste-over the way the engine oil page (128) was.

Possibly the same location on yours?

Tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts