BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Enthusiasts.

I am looking for a MINT condition, perfectly maintained E39 for purchase as my daily driver in Miami. I have owned this car before. I currently have an 08 550i with SAT. The 550 is awesome but the E39 owns my heart.

Would anyone know the best place to begin my search? (Cars.com, auto trader.com are obvious places) Does BMW sell any pristine E39 models?

Distance is not a barrier.

When I get the Car - I plan on hitting the Dinan satges and making any/all applicable upgrades and mods to make this car as tippy-top as possible.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Ray (Miami)
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Ray,

Check out the classifieds on this board, Roundel magazine, cars.com and autotrader.com. G/L in your search.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ray,

How about mileage? Are you looking for super low ,miles, or more focused on condition and maintenance.
Thank you for the responses. I would like to be at or around 50K in milage. I prefer the 2003 Model year as well. This will be my daily dirver until the wheels come off so I want the best shape car I can get my hands on.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
If you are planning all the Dinan stages, I'd start by abandoning your must-have-03 goal and look for a car already equipped. You will save a ton of money.

Dave

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Get ready to spend a lot of time looking at many cars. It is important, if you are serious about getting a "pristine" example.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Hi Ray-

So, you need to do a bit of soul searching....

Is money an object? (ie as in "Money is no object") If you have unlimited funds (or say $120k) to dump into this, here is the plan:

1. Buy a mint, sub 10,000 mile 2003 for $35-40k (Note there is no such thing as a "MINT car with 50,000 miles" period)
2. Spend ~$80k on Dinan S3. (or what, $35k on the S2)

Forget anything under Dinan S2. There is ZERO reason to spend money on the dinan 'stages' under the S2 level- they are run of the mill, add little performance and cost top dollar. The argument that "Dinan mods hold value" is dubious on a 6 year old car that is worth 20k these days, and the other argument "Dinan mods wont affect the warranty" is moot.

Another option:

1. Find a well maintained S2 or S3.
2. Buy it
3. Use the $40-60,000 SAVED to keep it in tip top shape.

I know which option I would favor....

GL

A

PS You should realize you are a one in 10,000 buyer if you will pay for new Dinan upgrades onto a newly acquired stock 2003 car in late 2009. There will be very few downstream buyers for your project, so plan accordingly.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hi Ray-

So, you need to do a bit of soul searching....

Is money an object? (ie as in "Money is no object") If you have unlimited funds (or say $120k) to dump into this, here is the plan:

1. Buy a mint, sub 10,000 mile 2003 for $35-40k (Note there is no such thing as a "MINT car with 50,000 miles" period)
2. Spend ~$80k on Dinan S3. (or what, $35k on the S2)

Forget anything under Dinan S2. There is ZERO reason to spend money on the dinan 'stages' under the S2 level- they are run of the mill, add little performance and cost top dollar. The argument that "Dinan mods hold value" is dubious on a 6 year old car that is worth 20k these days, and the other argument "Dinan mods wont affect the warranty" is moot.

Another option:

1. Find a well maintained S2 or S3.
2. Buy it
3. Use the $40-60,000 SAVED to keep it in tip top shape.

I know which option I would favor....

GL

A

PS You should realize you are a one in 10,000 buyer if you will pay for new Dinan upgrades onto a newly acquired stock 2003 car in late 2009. There will be very few downstream buyers for your project, so plan accordingly.
Well explained. That is why you are a Moderator!!!:applause:

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Cars.com and Autotrader will obviously show you most of the M5s currently for sale. I just searched and there are only 3 ultra low mileage ones in the country. There is a 2000 in Duluth, Georgia which only has 3k miles on it. I know its not an 03, but it looks spotless (as it should with such low miles).

If you do not mind one with some more miles, and do not care at all about distance, there is an 03 w/25k at Concord Motorsport in New Hampshire. I haven't dealt with them personally, but I have heard from many (some first hand) that they are a very good independent dealership.

Best of luck with your search.

afc1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts