BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, I had the OEM mufflers (section 3) removed and exhaust tips welded on.

After doing extensive research on here for the past few days, I finally decided to have the secondary cats and resonator removed.

My initial impressions are that it is EXTREMELY loud. On a scale of 1-10 (10 = loudest), it's definitely a 10! Before, it was probably around a 7 (with the muffler delete). I'm debating whether or not to have the resonator put back.

I did feel a notable loss of low-end torque (as a result of reduced back pressure). I haven't driven it enough to comment yet on the top-end, but will come back and post an update in a few days.

Let me know what you guys think.:M5launch:

Here's the sound clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqncsaEZ7mQ

Attachments

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
What did you expect? You are running straight pipes! Definitely too loud for my taste
Also I noticed they welded the front section backwards, it should be around the outside of the existing pipe not the inside.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What did you expect? You are running straight pipes! Definitely too loud for my taste
I knew it would be loud, but not that loud! :dunno:

Reactions: The Engineer

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Tooooo loud and these cars are already missing low end torque.
I agree!

I've decided to have the resonator put back on to bring the volume back down a bit.

Perhaps, this will also give me some torque back.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also I noticed they welded the front section backwards, it should be around the outside of the existing pipe not the inside.

Good catch. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll have them address it when putting the resonator back on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
147 Posts
I removed the secondary cats, resonator and 500lb boat anchors they called mufflers. Replaced it all with a muffler on each end, Magnaflow 16" only. Sounds good to me. Kind of sounds like a cross between a V8 and a V10. As for looks, I won't spend 2 or $3K for a fancy over polished SS system. Doesn't feel like it hurt low end torque anyway.
By the way, I tried the K&N Typhoon CAI, set off emissions light, put the stock boxes back on, light went out in 10 minutes. Lesson learned

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can't beat the Eisanman race rear section man!! The only other part of the exhaust you should remove is the primary cat in the header. With a tune you will unlock serious hp rather than lose hp! That's what mine has sounds amazing and made 460hp at wheels with evolve tune.

Reactions: DocsV10

·
Registered
147 Posts
Can't beat the Eisanman race rear section man!! The only other part of the exhaust you should remove is the primary cat in the header. With a tune you will unlock serious hp rather than lose hp! That's what mine has sounds amazing and made 460hp at wheels with evolve tune.
Only thing is, here in the states, especially Washington, it would NEVER pass emissions my friend, the small things I did to it won't effect the emissions. In California you can't even put a C.A.I. on the car.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Update!

I had my resonator put back on this morning. Sounds great; couldn't be happier!

MUCH more tolerable than without the resonator.

I still need to drive it a bit to see if I can feel or notice any differences; but my initital impression is that I picked back up some (probably very minimal) low-end torque.

Will come back and post my experience along with some sound clips.

Stay tuned! :M5launch:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I removed the secondary cats, resonator and 500lb boat anchors they called mufflers. Replaced it all with a muffler on each end, Magnaflow 16" only. Sounds good to me. Kind of sounds like a cross between a V8 and a V10. As for looks, I won't spend 2 or $3K for a fancy over polished SS system. Doesn't feel like it hurt low end torque anyway.
By the way, I tried the K&N Typhoon CAI, set off emissions light, put the stock boxes back on, light went out in 10 minutes. Lesson learned
Interesting setup; do you have any sound clips or pics you can post?

I would definitely stay AWAY from the CAI kits (e.g., K&N, AFE, etc.); several threads on here discussing "heat soak" issues and loss of power, etc. I just went with AFE drop-in air filters (dry-element), the AFE intake scoops (similar to RPI), and removed the charcoal filters.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Interesting setup; do you have any sound clips or pics you can post?

I would definitely stay AWAY from the CAI kits (e.g., K&N, AFE, etc.); several threads on here discussing "heat soak" issues and loss of power, etc. I just went with AFE drop-in air filters (dry-element), the AFE intake scoops (similar to RPI), and removed the charcoal filters.
No I don't. Never even crossed my mind at the time to take pictures or anything. When I put the stock airboxes back in I went with the K&N replacement filters, light on the oil...and removed the charcoal top filters as well. What is the difference with the AFE, hear about them, never used them...oil only difference? I know if you over oil the K&N you have a mess....

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No I don't. Never even crossed my mind at the time to take pictures or anything. When I put the stock airboxes back in I went with the K&N replacement filters, light on the oil...and removed the charcoal top filters as well. What is the difference with the AFE, hear about them, never used them...oil only difference? I know if you over oil the K&N you have a mess....
The AFE air filters are dry media and do not need to be oiled.

I decided to go with the dry filters, because I was concerned about getting oil on the MAF sensors, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
BMC filters are another good choice. I am very happy with mine and I have re-oiled them.

Reactions: DocsV10

·
Registered
147 Posts
The AFE air filters are dry media and do not need to be oiled.

I decided to go with the dry filters, because I was concerned about getting oil on the MAF sensors, etc.
I like the look of these, they sit deeper into the box, more filter media, more air in....I sent an email to K&N, told them about my light coming on. They said they have re designed the intake tubes and will send me new tubes. Still not sure about it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts