BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Secondary Air Pump Replacement Procedure?

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  wilsodh 
#1 ·
Has anyone FOUND a procedure for replacing the secondary air pump? Bentley manual doesn't cover it. Does the bumper have to be removed like the 7 series does?

Tom L.

#2 · (Edited)
i would say you should remove the bumper cover. I've had my air pump out for the dinan cai install, dinan gives a different bracket to move the air pump to make space for the filter and intake tube on the pass side. I'd be surprised if it's not documented here, but bumper removal is a easy 10 minute job. Two torx bolts in the front, 4 or 6, 8 or 10mm bolts in the fenderwells and it slides off. Unclip the horns, foglamps and headlamp washer tube and the bumpers off. I wouldn't say it's impossible to do with the bumper in place, but more difficult
The smog pump is held on by 3 bolts, 10mm i think and one wire harness and one air hose. Once you're in there it's not tricky, but if you can get your hands on the dinan CAI install instructions it's documented in there.
Mike

#3 ·
If you can get the car in the air and remove the front wheel and fender guards, you should be able to do it without much problems. We are in there all the time with CAI installs and never remove the front bumper. Hope this helps.

#4 ·
TCM said:
If you can get the car in the air and remove the front wheel and fender guards, you should be able to do it without much problems. We are in there all the time with CAI installs and never remove the front bumper. Hope this helps.

You are correct..... raise the right front corner and remove the access panels and you are good to go.

Tou will have the plastic squeeze clip retainer on the flex hose to deal with, three fasteners, and a single plug.....

Take care

Shadowman

#5 ·
Thanks to all that responded, very much appreciated. I am getting an error code for "insufficient secondary air" so I need to check the pump and shut-off valve. No noise from the pump though as some have reported hearing on startup. Haven't found any test data but did find removal picts for a 7 series here

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/57582

Regards,
Tom Lesko
Hingham, MA usa

2000 M5
1965 Alfa Spider Veloces (2)

#6 ·
After reading all the posts on the "Carbon Buildup" issue, I am now wondering if that is what my problem is. Peake Research code reader fault AA, "secondary air flow low".

Regards,
Tom Lesko
Hingham, MA usa

2000 M5
1965 Alfa Spider Veloces (2)[/QUOTE]

#7 ·
tmlesko said:
After reading all the posts on the "Carbon Buildup" issue, I am now wondering if that is what my problem is. Peake Research code reader fault AA, "secondary air flow low".

Regards,
Tom Lesko
Hingham, MA usa

2000 M5
1965 Alfa Spider Veloces (2)
[/QUOTE]
I summarized the 'response' algorithm as I see it for the carbon build up problem on the Carbon Buildup Poll thread. I think you have a good shot at getting your dealer to cover this as a goodwill repair, but you may need to make some noise about it. Hopefully you have enough information to be armed for this. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.