BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a secondary air pump system error when reading fault codes in ISTA-D. I then found that I had a totally stuck secondary air pump and a blown fuse. Replaced the pump and the fuse and did the test with activating the relay and the pump runs fine. I drove with it for a week and did a new readout and was surprised to still see the secondary air pump error there. The error never showed up as a light in the dashboard even before I replaced the dead pump/fuse.

Today I ran a system test of the secondary air pump system in INPA and it gives me "systemtest vollstaendig durchlaufen und kein fehler erkannt" and that can be translated into "system test run through completely and detected no errors". I can also hear the pump starting if you look at the screenshots it also registers air flow on the sensor.

Could this be caused by programming/disabling this system in the ECU? If so can I do anything to change it back as I want this system running like the BMW engineers designed it to do.

Edit; couldn't upload pictures to this forum but I'll try to link them from a Norwegian board I posted them on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps a stupid question: but you have cleared the error and then it came back?
No questions are stupid here since I'm not a mechanic :D I actually did this and the readout of the milage is also updated at every coldstart. I cannot hear it running either so it's not starting up like it should.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did you disable the system in the ECU?
I got no clue. I'm not the first owner of this car so this was just an idea if the ECU has been chipped and they removed this system (due to lack of knowledge). I want it back and working again :S I guess it's not smart to just flash the ECU either since this has immobilizer?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Gotcha. What was the error code and I assume you don't have a check engine light correct?

It wouldn't hurt to flash the ECU back, you might be giving up a tune but if you're willing to go back to stock then use WINKFP and reflash.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will have a look for the specific code when I get home. I did not have the check engine light that's correct.

Tbh I don't want a tune. I would like to keep it like bmw had it from factory and not having it tampered with ^^ Are you sure that flashing it won't mess up the immobilizer? Isn't the coding of the keys in not CAS and DME? Also can I flash with K+Dcan cable? I don't have an icom interface yet.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I've only and would only use ICOM, that's just me though maybe other's have had success.

I've flashed the E60 DME without issue, I don't recall off the top of my head , which cars I had to do it on, but on a few occasion I had to realign the EWS and it was easy enough between INPA and Tool32. It definitely was not all the time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've done some more debugging now. On a cold start the air pump is clearly running. I just cannot figure out why I get this error message.. Anyone got a clue here? I just did a test in ISTA-D of the secondary air system and it completes without a error..

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you Jcolley. Those steps looks pretty similar to the steps that ISTA-D had me go through. The fourth one what is that supposed to mean "If secondary air pump" ? I never get the MIL light showing tho and the pump is running for sure. If you look at the first picture in the test it is showing 29kg/h (first post) on the sensor and I can hear the pump starting once I start the test. However when I try to start the car with this monitor up I cannot get a reading of how much air is going there. Almost like it's disabled in some sort? Can this be coded out and thats the reason I get the message? I'd really like the system coded back in so I get it working as designed again.

Can I read out those variable names with tool32 from the MS_S65_2 ECU btw? If so I could try to arrange so I poll those values just to have a look at it. I should however figure out if the system is triggering the pump signal at all. It doesn't seem like it.

Edit: reading through the triggers for the error once more I noticed that high lambda could throw this code. It doesn't say what "high lambda" is tho. Could this be causing it maybe? Would think that it should throw some kind of code on the lambda sensors to? I know they look normal with a hot engine but I've never tried measuring during startup. I thought it would just show crappy values in the start (and that the DME didn't use lambda before the engine was at operating temperature).

Edit2: I noticed that my DME is flashed in 2013 and most of the other parts of the car is flashed back when it was new in 04-05. Could this indicate some kind of tuning software that could be the reason why this is disabled?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Secondary air system

Any more results on this ? I'm having similar code issues and wondered if you were able to track down the problem ?

Thanks,

·
Registered
651 Posts
Curious why any performance oriented driver would want a SAP in their car?

Cant wait to remove mine!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Curious why any performance oriented driver would want a SAP in their car?

Cant wait to remove mine!
Emissions compliance, that's it. There's a huge amount of real estate on the E6x M cars that could be freed up, I've been waiting for someone to ask about deleting. If you don't have a tune yet, I can disable the SAP subroutine as well as the error codes for a "off-road use" car.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Emissions compliance, that's it. There's a huge amount of real estate on the E6x M cars that could be freed up, I've been waiting for someone to ask about deleting. If you don't have a tune yet, I can disable the SAP subroutine as well as the error codes for a "off-road use" car.
I 100% plan on removing all of it. Both pumps / all tubes and hardware. and obviously need it to be in the 'ready' state not just a CEL removal.

I want a tune for other features as well and have considered yours (FAM). Kinda waiting for the deals to show up for xmas...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just assumed that it was disabled with the DME Flash that was done in 2013 and that it should be like this with the current Flash. So didn't bother more with it ^^

1 - 17 of 17 Posts