BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just pondering today, My M5 is probably,,,, no definately my favourite car to actually drive that ive owned and ive had quite a few weird and wonderful vehicles over the years, it started me thinking?

what was my favourite drivers car before my beast?

well my Bmw 850 came close but it had to be (for driving pleasure) my Lotus Excel (rear left in the photo), not the best built of cars but definately a true drivers car, and huge fun!

What would be your second favourite car or even your favourite if you had one you preffered to your M?:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
M5>M5. Lagoon Green, 1 of 8 '93's ever made.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Front right, looks like a covin kit car to me unless I am mistaken!?

And I seem to reconsise the weired 6v beetle based kit car as well from the 80's?

Jay

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Front right, looks like a covin kit car to me unless I am mistaken!?

And I seem to reconsise the weired 6v beetle based kit car as well from the 80's?

Jay
yes, well spotted, its a Covin, the one in the background is a 70' Siva Saluki, unfortunately that one never made it back on the road in my hands,

seems like everyone so far rates their BMW's and thinkng back a few years this bmw 325i of mine was a great car, I also had an earlier Crayford 323i, seen here in stages of decay. when it was on the road though it was a great car!

I also had an E36 convertible which was enjoyed too!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Pure FUN to drive - I miss her so much. . . .:sad3:

·
Registered
105 Posts
The M5 is great for the family, for long trips, and on fast, wide sweeping roads where power and comfort matter.

However, for the Sunday morning blast on narrow, twisty country roads, or on the track, where balance, momentum, carrying speed through tight corners, and ultimate response matters most, I'll grab the keys to this:

I also really enjoy my MX-5 (Miata) which is in many ways the polar opposite of the E39 M5 - not powerful but light, nimble and you can drive on the door-handles almost everywhere, whereas you'll never ever get close to the M5's limits on the road.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Nice 968 plenty; looks like it might be a sport?

Trying to pick favorite cars is actually quite difficult; many cars can be quite endearing and a lot of it is to do with memories that they evoke, but if I had to pick a top 3 it would be:

1. M5
2. MX-5 (never has one letter made so much difference)
3. E36 328i convertible.

I've owned a couple of Nissan Primera GT / eGTs and they are surprisingly good drivers cars and nearly nudged out the E36 for third place. I once had a rusty, off-white 1988 Vauxhall Nova 1.2 saloon, which was utterly and completely crap, but I think that even crap cars have their place and I've got some almost fond memories of it...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I see a trend...for me: E36, 328i sport sedan, Hellrot, 5-speed..only thing better would be the M3 version (in a sedan of course).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also really enjoy my MX-5 (Miata) which is in many ways the polar opposite of the E39 M5 - not powerful but light, nimble and you can drive on the door-handles almost everywhere, whereas you'll never ever get close to the M5's limits on the road.

thats exactly the reason i liked the lotus, you cant beat that feeling of 'arse on the road' handling

·
Registered
50 Posts

By the time I sold this it had a pretty good amount of work done. Gears, cams, full exhaust, PI intake manifold etc. Not as fast as the M5 in sheer acceleration but in its own way more fun to drive. I beat the hell out of that car for almost 3 years and 65k, the only problem I ever had was a broken headlight switch. I do miss being able to relentlessly abuse a car with no fear of repair costs, certainly not the case with the e39! Unfortunately I sold it when gas was over $4.00 a gallon and no end in sight, so I got very little money out of it. In retrospect I should have just kept it. :sad3:

·
Registered
597 Posts
This was a hoot to drive, a 3.6 Rover V8 Twin Plenum, with full group A heads, exhaust and suspension - 275bhp. In fact the previous owner blew nearly 15k on it :eek:h:

This was also a great car, a Mitsubsishi Starion 2.6 turbo tuned to around 280 bhp.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Easy, my '74 Corvette with a hopped up small block and 4 speed. When it was running, it was a hoot. Raw in a way that the M5 could never be, and I wouldn't have it any other way. It was a love hate relationship, but man was it a rush to drive:noSMG:

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The starion is in Porsche Norgaro blue with Porsche Cup 2 wheels!:eek:h:, Did you want a Porsche by chance;)

This was a hoot to drive, a 3.6 Rover V8 Twin Plenum, with full group A heads, exhaust and suspension - 275bhp. In fact the previous owner blew nearly 15k on it :eek:h:

This was also a great car, a Mitsubsishi Starion 2.6 turbo tuned to around 280 bhp.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts