BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the 08 in for the first full oil service, (not counting the break-in shortie) at 13,900. on the odo. I still can't get cozy with these long service cycles. To put things in perspective, I've changed tires before I changed the oil.............amazing. :eek:oohhh: Although I've added enough oil in between to count as an oil change..............sorta? :dunno: I know this service cycle paradigm has been disected before but it still troubles me a bit.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Barry, buddy, time to worry about other more important things in life......
Not being smart, i know, but thats the good ole, "nature of the Beast" !!!
Hang in there ...

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Barry, I know how you feel. I'm at 10,000 miles on the car and the 2nd scheduled change is in 4,000 miles. I, however did an oil change in between at around 7,500 miles as the interval is very long. Also living in the FL heat I figured it could not hurt.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Barry, buddy, time to worry about other more important things in life......
Not being smart, i know, but thats the good ole, "nature of the Beast" !!!
Hang in there ...
Not worried my friend, I guess I just know enough to be dangerous. :cool2:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Barry,

Today, during my meditation time (aka Shower) I was having the same thoughts. My wife's X5 is having her first oil change at nearly 12,000 miles today.:eek:

Like you, I rationalized that I have added about 10 quarts of oil since the 1,200 mile service, but I am not used to these long stretches between changes. We may have ben subliminally conditioned by the Oil Companies (and related business's) to change out at every 3,000 for profit purposes, not for engine safety.:dunno:

It's good to share! Ignorance loves company!:hihi:
:cheers:

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Since I own the car outright and no longer lease it, I change the oil frequently.

I also have tracked the car.

Oil is life and I don't trust the BMW schedules!

I have 25,000 kms on my car and the oil has been changed 4 times.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Barry, I agree. The oil cycles are way to far apart. Since I own my beast I have my indy guy change the oil every 5,000 - 6,500km.

As T Bone said "oil is life" for the mighy M5.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Mine first (1200) was today and the mechanic overfilled the car!! I drove off went about a mile up the road and thought to myself to check the level..what do I see "MAX" and yellow overfill on the Idrive. Back I went and they drained to my satisfaction.

I mentioned that you cant over fill and the guy swears to me he did not and when he checked last it said add a quart. I told him that you cant trust the read out and go by how many quarts you add.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I also add an interim change in the middle of the scheudled maintenance. Make sure they do not reset the computer.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Mine first (1200) was today and the mechanic overfilled the car!!
If a mechanic cannot change the engine oil, how can he be trusted to perform any service task :confused:ouich

The BMW TIS instructions for engine oil service has this statement:
Important! To prevent the possibility of overfilling, fill the engine initially with 8 liters of engine oil.

The oil level should then be checked and oil added.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
The BMW TIS instructions for engine oil service has this statement:
Important! To prevent the possibility of overfilling, fill the engine initially with 8 liters of engine oil.
He said he did that and that the computer told him to add more oil. I said he did not wait for it to reset.

I am just tired of C level students that do just what is required to get by. I mean, why would you not wait and see what happens. It is after all a Electronic dispstick that takes some time to calculate.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He said he did that and that the computer told him to add more oil. I said he did not wait for it to reset.

I am just tired of C level students that do just what is required to get by. I mean, why would you not wait and see what happens. It is after all a Electronic dispstick that takes some time to calculate.
Never, never trust a dipstick with a dipstick. hmmm

·
Registered
81 Posts
oil change interval

As a share holder in Castrol's parent company, I can, in all honesty, recommend an oil change every 985 miles. Protect your investment and help keep my grandkids in an Ivy League university.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
As a share holder in Castrol's parent company, I can, in all honesty, recommend an oil change every 985 miles. Protect your investment and help keep my grandkids an Ivy League university.

Thank you.
LOL!!!:1:

I screwed up, big time. . . . . . I change the oil at 986 miles! Oh crap!!!ouich

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
That means they might have to drop out and go to U.S.C.
Them are fighting words!:nono:

We don't put periods between the letters, its an acronym; USC. ouich Please don't tell me your reping ucla There is no contest! USC prevails on color and mascot alone!

I think the school of the people which ucla claims, is appropriate for the aforementioned knuckle-head mechanic!:hihi:

P.S. John Wooden is the greatest teacher/coach of all time in any sport, ucla was blessed there. But even a broken clock is right twice a day!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Them are fighting words!:nono:

We don't put periods between the letters, its an acronym; USC. ouich Please don't tell me your reping ucla There is no contest! USC prevails on color and mascot alone!

I think the school of the people which ucla claims, is appropriate for the aforementioned knuckle-head mechanic!:hihi:

P.S. John Wooden is the greatest teacher/coach of all time in any sport, ucla was blessed there. But even a broken clock is right twice a day!
But its the University of Spoiled Children
Or the University of Sucking...I'm sure you can finish that one.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
But its the University of Spoiled Children
Or the University of Sucking...I'm sure you can finish that one.

Now you guys are ganging up! I can sense the "Student Learning Outcome" of the UC system is permeating this thread.:hihi:

I do not condemn those who simply do not know; Fight On! :applause:

Attending an institution such as SC is a very similar experience to owning an M5. The pride an M5 owner has, the enthusiasm and the respect are analogous to being a Trojan. I never thought I was spoiled, but I do feel spoiled in the M5. With that said, there are "haters" of M5 Owners, as there are of SC alum. Its a way of life, being superior! I can deal with it!hihahiha

I still love you guys! lovelove

1 - 20 of 26 Posts