Clutch Replacements?

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

With the thread discussing the new clutch option from Spec, I thought I would throw out an addtional question. If you have had the first clutch replaced by BMW, have you had to replace that one as well?

I had my 1st clutch replaced at 17,000 miles. I have 41,000 miles showing today and have not had any issues what so ever on the second one. Did BMW get it right the second time around?

Mark

·
Registered
931 Posts
I had to replace the first 'stock POS' clutch at my expense. The clutch showed heat damage. Some of this was from my own error (trying to launch while DSC was still on ouich ), and the Dealer testing for slippage (more heat damage). This was with less than 5000 miles on the clock. The second clutch was just starting to show problems at 16,000 miles. By now UUC was selling their upgrade clutch. I went with the stage I setup. When the second clutch came out, it had signs of heat blueing. The UUC clutch is a huge improvement. If and when I need to replace this disk, I will see if I can slip in a stage II or III with out changing anything else. I really can't believe BMW did not put in a stronger clutch! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hey Mah,

I got the POS Original one taken out at 7,000 KM.

I replaced it with the Uber 5 Button carbotic clutch with sprung centre. The only thing I burn know is the tyres.

I will never need to replace it. :flag:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MIB said:
Hey Mah,

I got the POS Original one taken out at 7,000 KM.

I replaced it with the Uber 5 Button carbotic clutch with sprung centre. The only thing I burn know is the tyres.

I will never need to replace it. :flag:
Mark,

Oh I'll bet you burn more than the tires! Good to hear that the replacement clutch is holding up so well considering how you "baby" the car :confused3 . Did BMW offer to replace your clutch?

Mark

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
MAH said:
Mark,

Oh I'll bet you burn more than the tires! Good to hear that the replacement clutch is holding up so well considering how you "baby" the car :confused3 . Did BMW offer to replace your clutch?

Mark

Hey MAH,

Yes, they were cool. The tech said I was in for a battle. The Top guy had to approve it. He was on the Golf course.

My next favourite place. So I went and got him. Took him for a drive, and within two minutes he said, No Problem we will give you a new clutch. :hihi:

I said it has only been about 3 months, and I had a better idea. I said if I purchased an Uber clutch, Pressure plate and Flywheel, BMW could fit them all for free.

That way I wouldn't be back in another 3 months needing another one. He agreed. No arguement.

They even gave me a stock clutch and pressure plate.

At the time of getting the clutch, I was thinking either RMS S/C, (Thank God I didn't go down that path) or maybe NOS. But I didn't like the way they sold the car just after they got the NOS to work.

So the clutch is good for around 750 HP. It was built to drag race, but is perfectly streetable.

regards MJ

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
OK OK I lied when I voted that I was looking into a third clutch!!!!!! But I'm not sorry--I've been off the board too long and need to make up for lost teasing time.

But geez, I don't know MAH Mark, if you're only on your second clutch at 41K miles I don't know what to think about your drvng style --you're not going soft on me are you ??? hiha hiha I know you know I drive more like my M5 driving mentor MIB Mark--TOTALLY KIDDING--I'm in the same place you are clutch-wise. One replacement around 17K or so with currently about 38K on the odo.

Anita

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
MAH,
Just rechecked my paperwork on the clutch replacement--it was done at 17K and they replaced it with a remanufactured clutch. My dealership was very conservative when they chose to replace my clutch because they originally diagnosed the problem as squeaking pressure finger plates and that's the only symtom I had. Oh and I have 39K on my odo.

BTW you've got a couple of PM's out there from me--I don't know if you've gotten them or if this is not a good way to contact you or what. Let me know, will you?? I wouldn't want you to get deadly PM build-up--I think that's what guys call it :eek: hiha

So did you get your tire leak/wheel peeling problem fixed?

Anita

1 - 7 of 7 Posts