BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of this? It wasn't me or my car but I roll without a front plate as well...

My girlfriend got a parking ticket in downtown Seattle, in addition to the parking fine for running over the time limit, she was issued a $40 fine for "no front plate visible". She has had parking tickets before but never issued such a fine.

To me it seems more reasonable to always just go to a pay garage and pay for your time vs. ever using city street parking and risk even just a one time instance of going over the parking time limit racks up $120 in fines. Can they issue this ticket just waking by your car even if you are within a valid time?

·
Registered
254 Posts
They gotta pay down the debt somehow - Sucks, but like you I always pay to park in a stall and not risk going over the clock.

Never heard of parking enforcement writing a slip for no front plate, just another jack boot tactic of SPD

·
Registered
24 Posts
they can also write a ticket for no tabs while your car is parked. Even if the registration is up to date and you just bought them and they are sitting on the seat in plain view.

Seams like the city is very efficient at taking your money but when it comes to other things good luck.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My brother-in-law is a Lt. in a local police department. I asked him about not having a front plate and if that would attract a ticket. He said it would depend on how bored he was. He also said he wouldn't stop a driver for that single violation, however it would be added to any other ticketable violation. And, if they want a reason to stop you it can be enough. Maybe that's what happened to your girlfriend?

I avoid 520's toll as I am not sure what will happen. I was told that if you don't have a front plate, nothing happens.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I've lived in Washington since 2006 and never had a front plate on any of my vehicles. I've never been cited or even stopped for it once. This includes multiple stops for speeding and no mention of my front plate.

It's a stupid law with minimal consequences for those who don't abide. If you get cited for this, chalk it up to bad luck and keep doing what you're doing IMO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I avoid 520's toll as I am not sure what will happen. I was told that if you don't have a front plate, nothing happens.
520 toll still works just fine w/o a front plate....or a Good to Go pass shown. They're good at collecting revenue...

Now if they could get better at cleaning up the road debris, like the huge tire I nailed this AM that will end up costing me plenty in bodywork. Grrr....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
/\/\att
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing