BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 M5 with a twisted passenger seat. Driver seat also had the twist problem and I was able to fix that one a while back. Went to go do the passenger seat today and think I botched it by doing the wrong side and now not being able to get the wire and ferrule to seat back in the motor. My patience with this is a bit worn and at this point would prefer to pay someone to finish it for me.

I don't know if the dealer does this repair and what they would charge - or if they just make you buy a new seat because BMW so does anyone know of any shops in the Los Angeles area knowledgeable in this? Alternatively if anyone here is in the LA area and adept at this am happy to pay. Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,229 Posts
Here's a video I made on how to fix the twisted seat issue.

Long story short, there's tubes with a hard cables inside, that move the seats around. The teeth end of the cables get chewn up and the motor can't suck them in properly. What works is to remove a small section of the tubing below. Quick fix is you can cut short section with razor and tape it or plastic weld it together.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have done this three different times on different motors, truth is you don't even have to tape or plastic weld the tubing. Just cut away 1/4" of the tubing, and you are done. Five years later, no issues. Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys. I had already done the driver's seat some month back so am familiar with the fix - I just screwed this one up and got a bit frustrated. Instead of cutting back along the tubing I cut close to the metal ferrule thinking I'd pull the tubing out of it. In the futile process of trying to separate the tubing from the ferrule I damaged the ferrule just enough that it would no longer seat into the motor. Attempting to remedy the situation just made it worse from there.

Sooooo.... Took a trip out to Pick-a-Part and after finding an e39 with an already partially torn up seat pulled out a couple of tubing sections along with the internal cable. Had to go through the top of the seat as well no battery mean no power means no access to one pair of seat bolts to flip the seat over... Didn't think about that before heading out there.

Once back with the undamaged ferrule and cable took all of 15 minutes to get everything back together... 🤦‍♂️

1 - 4 of 4 Posts