BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a go today to fix my memory seats.
I've only just bought my M5 and have been working my way through little niggles with the car.
The memory recall on my seats was not working so I started fault finding starting with the switch itself. Prize the switch apart at the tabs, fairly obvious! Using a multimeter I looked at the resistance in the switches between the contact point and the deflection plate (this is a piece of metal that when the button is pressed is pushed towards the contact completing the path and activating the switch). I realized that the plate wasn't making contact so using a soldering iron i prised off the deflection plate and cleaned the contact point on each button and reassembled.
Happily this was the solution to my problem. Very easy fix but hope it will save someone some time. Oh so nice to have my seats automatically move back into place if moved!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Sounds like a slightly different manner of problem that I had with my memory seat when I bought my car. The button for position 3 didn't work, position 2 rarely worked, and you couldn't program in a new setting for position 1.

Took it apart and found that the little plastic tabs on the side of the switch casing that hold the buttons and circuit board had broke mostly off towards the rear of the switch letting the switch/board assembly get pushed too far into the case which prevented the buttons from being fully depressed.

I Pushed the board assembly back up into place and used a small bit of superglue to hold the circuit board to what was left of the retaining tabs on the case.

That fixed the problem as all positions worked, and the memory button was also working. It's held up great over the 20 months or so since I fixed it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts