BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys ever notice that when you jump in the car, the rear view mirror points a little lower or is a little too high? Same for the steering wheel. As a test, I set button 2 to the highest seat and steering position and button 3 to the lowest. My full time button is 1. Whenever I notice my mirrors and/or steering wheel a little too high or low, I will press button 3 and surely enough, the seat was not at it's lowest. The same for the steering wheel. You can tell if you can move it lower. This has been a constant problem on my 528i too. The 528i is worse. The seat has a life of it's own. I drove across the San Fran Bay Bridge once and the seat back moved back on me. I almost lost control in heavy, fast and bumpy traffic. If anyone has ever driven across that bridge on one of the curves, maybe you know. Scared the heck out of me. I could not move it back forward and had to hold myself up while driving. Try driving without a seat back and see. You have to have a strong stomach like a gymnist in order to hold yourself up. If you hold on to the steering wheel you will accidentally jerk the wheel to the left/right because of bumps and slopes and lose control. There was no way I could ever duplicate the problem while it was under warranty. The dealer claimed not to have seen any faults. I need to carry a camcorder around. What a liability. I reported it to BMWNA as a safety recall complaint but nothing was done about it. If you guys read about some dead dork in an accident, you guys can be my witness for a lawsuit so that my living family can collect.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
My E39 had a gremlin in the seats, where the wheel wouldnt come down from the up position. Didnt have it happen when I was driving, but happened from time to time when I started it up. Send it to the dealer and see what they say. Talk to you later bud.
:cheers:

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have had issues with the electronics too... At random times the memory seems to slip and things like the seat, steering wheel does not go where they should. I posted a while back where all of the inside and out side lights randomly flashed, even the Nav screen went nuts. Then the car lost power until it died. A restart of the engine and everything worked ok except anything that used memory was forgotten (radio station settings were fine). Of course the Dealer could not find anything wrong. All is ok for the last six months (knock on wood).

The cars today just have too much computer crap (as in desktop computer crash) that is not rock solid. I would never want a self driving car!

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I've never had any problems with my seats, perhaps the comfort seat electrics are different?!

The DSP on the other hand has always suffered from gremlins and seems very shoddy for a company like BMW :grrrrr:

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
The E39 M5 is known as a realiable car...except for the electronics! I have also experienced an intermittent problem where the steering wheel does not auto tilt downward at startu. Of course, the dealer could not duplicate it...seems to be OK now.

I was told that, unlike the engine, there are no fault codes for these type of electronic glitches...

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Never a problem with the M5, but my '98 540i had its share with seats and steering wheel. They had a mind of their own and worked when they wanted to work. Sometimes the seat controls and steering wheel didn't work at all, I would have to shut off the car and re-start to solve the intermittent problem. That also goes for the power door locks:viking:

·
Registered
661 Posts
I never had any problem with my seats either. Except once, when my wife drove my car and said "Your seat memory button is broken" It turned out she thought that it's was a one-push button instead of having to hold the preset button until the seat stops moving.

·
Registered
153 Posts
dmz said:
I never had any problem with my seats either. Except once, when my wife drove my car and said "Your seat memory button is broken" It turned out she thought that it's was a one-push button instead of having to hold the preset button until the seat stops moving.
---------------------------------------------
I DID NOT KNOW YOU HAVE TO HOLD THE BUTTON UNTIL THE SEAT STOPS ADJUSTING - HECK I THOUGHT IT WAS A ONE-PRESS FUNCTION. I ALWAYS HAD THE PROBLEM OF NOT HAVING THE SEAT GETTING BACK TO THE ORIGINAL POSITION ONCE PRESSED.
I WILL TRY THE PRESS AND HOLD NEXT TIME.
THANKS IN ADVANCE

·
Registered
105 Posts
:wroom:

and remember...

These setting are tied to the key memory thing also...

I was always confused on when the seats and A/C etc. were going to adjust to my key versus my wife's.

If all is set up correctly.. you unlock the M5 with your key and it 'should' set the seat to your key.

Bob

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ManikM5 said:
---------------------------------------------
I DID NOT KNOW YOU HAVE TO HOLD THE BUTTON UNTIL THE SEAT STOPS ADJUSTING - HECK I THOUGHT IT WAS A ONE-PRESS FUNCTION. I ALWAYS HAD THE PROBLEM OF NOT HAVING THE SEAT GETTING BACK TO THE ORIGINAL POSITION ONCE PRESSED.
I WILL TRY THE PRESS AND HOLD NEXT TIME.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
Sometimes it works correctly if you just press the button, but most of the time you have to hold it. Why? I don't know. It sucks.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
a_ok2me said:
Sometimes it works correctly if you just press the button, but most of the time you have to hold it. Why? I don't know. It sucks.
If you touch the seat memory button with the driver's door open, it is a one touch system. If you touch the memory button with the driver's door closed, you have to hold the button in until the seat position change is finished.

I don't know why this is; my E39 530 was the same.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I wonder if the european car are like this. I can see why they'd do that in the US due to liability issues if a big guy got caught in the seat on a setting set for a short person.

KevinM said:
If you touch the seat memory button with the driver's door open, it is a one touch system. If you touch the memory button with the driver's door closed, you have to hold the button in until the seat position change is finished.

·
Registered
21 Posts
KevinM said:

Is it "door open" or "key in ignition"? I thought it was the latter, but I'll have to check it out later today. Certainly with the car running, you wouldn't want to have your set-for-6-foot-5 settings suddenly change to a 5-foot-3 setting from an accidental memory-button push! It could make manoevering somewhat tricky!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.