BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, since I rarely get to use the seat heaters, this has not been a problem. When I turn on drivers side, position 1 seems a lot hotter than 3. And it seems too hot to sit in. Once the seat reachs temperature, I need to turn it off. I realize that "cold" in south Florida is a relative term, but my other German all wheel drive car with seat heaters does not exhibit this problem. I drove to the dealer and the tech took a quick look at it and didn't see anything amiss. Any ideas? Is there a relay that controls temp that may be faulty? Thx
Regards,
Jerry (warm buns)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I noticed the same thing this winter (being my first with the car). I'd always put it on 3 for a bit then turn it down to 1. It then seemed a lot hotter than when it was on 3. I though it might be my imagination and never really remembered to ask the board. Thanks for the confirmation. Another thing on my list for the dealer to look at.

·
10,455 Posts
this is interesting as I was just thinking this on the way to work today. I had always assumed 3 bars to be hottest and one to be least hot, when I pulled my car out of the garage this morning, i put it on 3 bars to heat up the seat (it was in the upper 40's this am, brrr) and went in to get my son. I got in the car and the seat was quite comfortable, so i didn't think of it and left it. It remained comfortable, but i turned it "down" to one bar, and it really did seem like it was warmer. Might be time to actually RTFM to see is one is hot and 3 is least.
Mike

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Funny - I use my seat heaters all the time - but I start on III and go to II - I've never tried I, I don't think. I'll have to see if that is hotter! II is definitely cooler than III for me, although sometimes I feel like I can be on III full time, and other times it gets unbearably hot. Haven't figured out whether that has to do with actual temperature variation in the car's system or mine.... ;)

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, at least I am not imagining things. I will recheck the manual, but since the seat comes on at 3 setting, one would think it would be the hottest, in addition to 3 being larger than 1 (you know those precise Germans!!). :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
My wife and I have used the seat heaters many times this winter and setting 3 (all three green LEDs lit) is definitely hotter than setting 1. And changing from setting 3 to setting 1 results in a fairly rapid drop in temperature. Either something is wrong with your car or your butt is very efficient at storing heat. ;)

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DZeckhausen said:
My wife and I have used the seat heaters many times this winter and setting 3 (all three green LEDs lit) is definitely hotter than setting 1. And changing from setting 3 to setting 1 results in a fairly rapid drop in temperature. Either something is wrong with your car or your butt is very efficient at storing heat. ;)
Actually I think some of both, but the butt is not under warranty!!! :hihi:
Regards,
Jerry

·
10,455 Posts
they have to complicate things... my old e34 had low and high, and it worked fine...
mike

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
So I'm not imagining this! My car from day one has seat heaters too hot no matter what the setting. All are so hot that I can't tell if 1 is hotter than 3 or vice versa. I've complained but they keep telling me there is nothing wrong. So what I do is turn it on until it gets warm enough and then I shut it off. FWIW, the seat heaters on my new M3 seem to work fine.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
I wonder what the specific heat is of "butt?"
Are they measured in BUTT T U's????
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Beamer_usa said:
Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't you just turn the seat heater "OFF" if it gets to hot???:rolleyes:
Well, yeah, if it only had an on/off switch. The idea of the different heat settings is to regulate the heat, so leaving it on 1 should produce a small amount of heat, 2 a moderate amount and 3 should be "Chernobyl". :1: Some drivers say that leaving it on 1 (apparently some cars do have correctly working seat heaters) actually helps on long drives.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
gsfent said:
Some drivers say that leaving it on 1 (apparently some cars do have correctly working seat heaters) actually helps on long drives.
I can vouch for that! It helps keep my lower back muscles relaxed and reduces back pain from long drives.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Mine was working fine for 4 years, now the highest setting will cook my butt (and burning plastic smell). So, something has changed/malfunctioned. Sounds like your problem too.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Philip said:
Mine was working fine for 4 years, now the highest setting will cook my butt (and burning plastic smell). So, something has changed/malfunctioned. Sounds like your problem too.
If you get it diagnosed, please post. My car will be going back when my replacment cat (under warranty!) comes in for installation. I will have them take another look at the seat heaters.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
610 Posts
Recall?

Gents...

I read through the latest Roundel magazine. In there, there is mention of a recall in which the "*** warmers" get too hot. I don't recall the exact page number but it was in one of those side bar columns.

Looks like BMW may be aware of this problem...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i absolutely love the seat heaters in the beast. we've had other cars with heated seats and these are noticably better...fast to warm up (almost instantaneous) and everybody in my family fights to be in the front when it's cold out here in norcal. i usually just turn them down to low after they heat up and go with that but my wife and daughters keep 'em on high as long as they are on......

1 - 20 of 38 Posts