BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fart said:
1. Below zero (celcius) is below 37 on farenheit. But thats not a part of the problem.
2. The seat heaters had the same problem when I got the car (but I didnt mind then).
3. Problem persists on both seats.
4. Problem describes it self with the light on the button coming on for 1-2secons, then turning of.
5. no fuse blowing noises, and when I turn them back on, the same thing happens.
6. It does not stay on long enough for the seat to get hot.
7. It does not matter if I turn on the seat heater and switch to medium or low setting.
1. Are you saying that when the temp is above freezing the seat heaters work and stay on?
2. Has it ever worked and stayed on?
3. Both seats are on the same fuse circuit #32. Have you tried to change or remove/reinsert the fuse?
4. It still sounds like a fuse to me... When my fuse #32 was blown, both seat heater lights would come on in any of the 3 levels, then turn off after about a minute. Why don't you pull fuse #32 and see if the symptoms change.
5. Sure, if the fuse is already blown, it won't blow again.
6. See #5
7. See #4

I don't mean to be coming across harshly but you've got to start attacking this problem logically.

1. Start at the fuse, replace/remove/re-insert.
2. If the fuse is OK, then disconnect one of the seats and try again. This should narrow it down if there is a specific seat at fault. Alternate to the other seat if there is no change.
3. If disconnecting the seats don't help, there must be an issue between the seats and the fuse, not sure what else is between there since I don't have the schematics.

Good luck,
adrian

·
Registered
156 Posts
Fart said:
My fellow M5 drivers.

With the temps now well below zero, I wanted to use the seat heaters, but they wont stay on for more than a second.

What is wrong?
I tested my heated seats on my 03 M5 that I bought in June 04 and I'll be damned. The same problem that you experience. Both heating seat indicators stay on for a a second or two and go off. i did have the Blue tooth recently so maybe that caused a break in the electrical system and it is tripping out . I will take to the dealer and post results.

Yeoryios

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
ard said:
21 replies and we still don't know if the fuse ever blew, just once....
ard,
What!!! You mean we're actually supposed to be doing something here--I thought we were just posting to show our joke and benchracing prowess hiha

(My apologies to those of you who made serious posts and for those of you who have long suffered through my lame humor--you know who you are!!)

greg said:
I LOVE my seat heaters!
Okay Greg, after reading those OT uses for heated seats, I not even going to ask you why you love yours so much hmmm

Fart said:
Cool,

Anyone have a photo of the fuse box location. :typing:
You guys are going to kill me 'cause I'm going to sound like a borken record wor saying this, but there is a drawing and description of the location in the OWNER'S MANUAL-page 132 of my '02 manual-sorry, sorry!

MAH said:
... but with an M5 name of "fart" and the issue being seat heaters, I couldn't help but laugh a little.

Is there really a tie in here? :1: . I just couldn't help myself.

Mark
And of course, thanks to our humor guru MAH for starting the responses to this thread off on the proper path :1: Sorry, I couldn't help myself either
:1:

Signed,
Anita, the mega manual queen

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: PROBLEM SOLVED

Fart said:
BLOWN FUSE #32

Omg... cant believe I was this ignorant. Basic fuse debug should should have been my first thought.:viking:

Thanks for the help ppl.. Now I can fire up my rear end on cold days.:2:
Glad to hear that you got the problem solved. I too shall look at Fuse No. 32 and see whether I suffer from the hmmm! same malady. What explosive wit and wisdom this message string has shown. But I must say that this whole thing has been blown to explosive levels.

Yeoryios.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Just had the same problem on my drivers side seat where the button would light up for 1 second and shut off ...and fixed it by replacing FUSE32.......but my passenger's side seat does not light up at all when I press the button...any ideas?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry for dragging this thread out!! ;) Got the same problem on my car, both seats, light stays on for 1-2 seconds then goes off. It worked fine yesterday but nothing today. I'm in my PJ's, its freezing cold but i'm going outside with a torch to look at fuse #32!! :byee55amg

·
Registered
43 Posts
The fuse was blown, replaced it, passenger side worked fine!! :1: Put the drivers side on, pop the fuse blew :crying: . Looks like a dodgy heater element, or i suppose a dodge connection. I did hoover the car yesterday (well my 5 year old son did), so maybe he dislodged something, will have to wait for daylight now :sad1:

How should i check out the heater element??

21 - 33 of 33 Posts