BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I am not sure about what may be the issue with your seat heaters, but with an M5 name of "fart" and the issue being seat heaters, I couldn't help but laugh a little.

Is there really a tie in here? :1: . I just couldn't help myself.

Mark

·
Registered
466 Posts
Indeed :wroom:
I was thinking the exact same thing. Perhaps it was another legendary BMW safety device... You know to prevent an "explosive" situation.

R/
War

MAH said:
I am not sure about what may be the issue with your seat heaters, but with an M5 name of "fart" and the issue being seat heaters, I couldn't help but laugh a little.

Is there really a tie in here? :1: . I just couldn't help myself.

Mark

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
warhaven said:
Indeed :wroom:
I was thinking the exact same thing. Perhaps it was another legendary BMW safety device... You know to prevent an "explosive" situation.

R/
War
Ah yes, another BMW hidden feature that was not listed in the manual! Very good observation.

Mark

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Fart said:
hehe.... buch of commedians.. :1:

But seriously.. none of you guys have this problem with the seat heaters.

-OT- .. long story about the nick, but basically I started using Fart when I was playing Counterstrike in a clan, and the clan was called [evil], so it was [evil]Fart.

I just thougt it sounded funny.
Fart,

Sorry, can't help you with this issue. We don't see too many zero degree days here in Southern Texas or Southern California.

I have never heard of this issue before on the board.

Mark

·
Registered
236 Posts
Can I just say that I have not had wind of this situation either.

This thread is a real gas.

Pip:1:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Sorry, haven't had this problem. If anything, mine are too hot (on 3 bars) and I'm afraid the seat(s) will boil. Oh my God, did I just day I didn't have a problem with something...whoha!
I also get a nice warning on the dash that the outside temp is 37F
What year is the car? Warranty?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Sounds like a short or safety cut-out. There could be some damage to the heating elements in the seat in which case it is quite a major (expensive) repair. Alternatively, the system could be overloading the electrics for some reason.

In either case, you need to take it to a competent dealer/mechanic who knows what they're doing.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Mr. Fart:

Knowing BMW's propensity towards safety, it could be either a short in the system like Ashok mentioned (therefore cutting out) or possibly the connector is not connected.
Check fuses.....
Check under the seat and make sure all connectors are in place.

You say both don't work? hmmm Let me give it a think and look at the electricals.

I'll get back to you.

Joe

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Oh, aren't some of you boys so mature today--geez, fart jokes--cut me a break! Of course, you know I would never make silly jokes like that myself HA HA.

And you slacker southerners, would it kill you to just test your heated seats for poor Mr. Fart--I'll bet you all have real delicate backsides from living down there.

Hey now, it's really painful to sit on a cold seat on a cold, cold day--have some mercy on a fellow board member :1:

Fart-SERIOUS QUESTIONS: When you say it won't stay on for more then a second, do you mean the light(s) in the button won't stay on or what? Does this happen in all three settings? Do you feel any heat in the seats at all?

I'll report the findings of my very scientific BMW seat heating study shortly--seriously, I've been testing out out how quick and fast the other seats get HOT!!!

Good luck with your situation Fart!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fart said:
My fellow M5 drivers.

With the temps now well below zero, I wanted to use the seat heaters, but they wont stay on for more than a second.

What is wrong?

I have the exact same problem. As it turns out, there is a defective element in my driver's side seat which caused the fuse to blow in the glove box. Both front seats are on the same fuse. Parts are on order but I'm surprised that it is taking more than one day to get the parts in. Makes me wonder if the problem is more widespread and parts are in short demand.

I'm kicking my self for not getting this addressed when the car was still under warranty in the Spring.

Bottom line, if you're lucky, it's just a fuse. If not, you might be behind me in the parts line :eek:

adrian

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Well, we need Fart to explain his failure modes to proceed... does it just turn off? does it trip a fuse? etc.

Even though I live in CA I use the heated seats all year long.. feels great on the lower back. Built in heating pad. L3-L4 L4-s1 ruptures plus DDD... too many cornice jumps in my younger days...

ard

·
Banned
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let me elaboreate..

1. Below zero (celcius) is below 37 on farenheit. But thats not a part of the problem.
2. The seat heaters had the same problem when I got the car (but I didnt mind then).
3. Problem persists on both seats.
4. Problem describes it self with the light on the button coming on for 1-2secons, then turning of.
5. no fuse blowing noises, and when I turn them back on, the same thing happens.
6. It does not stay on long enough for the seat to get hot.
7. It does not matter if I turn on the seat heater and switch to medium or low setting.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Here's what a brief search shows:

SERIOUS SECTION:

1) Here's the list of TSB's from Alldata using an 2000 E39 M5 as en example--you can enter the correct model yr, etc (for the US only????)--I was too lazy to dig through all the bits included there

http://alldata.com/TSB/06/00069942.html

2) An older thread on the site related to your problem

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3150

GETTING LOOSER SECTION:

3) A thread about the relative hottness of our M5 heated seats

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12921&highlight=heated+seats

REALLY REALLY LOOSE (Don't say I didn't warn you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It gets pretty bad) WARNING WARNING

4)A thread tellig much more then you ever wanted to know about our heated seats--boxers or briefs hiha

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=38051&highlight=heated+seats

Seriously though--good luck!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Fart said:
Let me elaboreate..

1. Below zero (celcius) is below 37 on farenheit. But thats not a part of the problem.
I WAS JOKING!... (You see, in most of California it doesn't freeze...)

Here's a factoid: It's -40C... what is it in Farenheit? AND It's -40F.. what is it in Centigrade?

Without a schematic, I'm stumped. I'm starting to think switch- as it sounds like there is an acutal fuse that would trip if there was an overcurrent. THis might be a mechanical in the switch itself...

ard

1 - 20 of 33 Posts