BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a database error. Searching by username within a thread works, but it currently is not possible to search by keyword within a thread.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have found that Google does a slightly better job of searching forums than most forums do. You can do this by using the "site" keyword in your google search. For example, your search would look like:

"site:m5board.com Rear Diff" - that would search ONLY this site for the words "Rear Diff". It's pretty effective. It also lets you use googles other powerful operators to exclude words / date ranges etc etc.

Admittedly it needs fixed, but this will get the job done.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have found that Google does a slightly better job of searching forums than most forums do. You can do this by using the "site" keyword in your google search. For example, your search would look like:

"site:m5board.com Rear Diff" - that would search ONLY this site for the words "Rear Diff". It's pretty effective. It also lets you use googles other powerful operators to exclude words / date ranges etc etc.

Admittedly it needs fixed, but this will get the job done.
I have done that a few times and I agree it is sometimes more effective than the actual site search function, but it does not allow you to search for keywords or a certain user within a specific thread, which is what I was trying to do.

·
Administrator
858 Posts
If you're looking for a specific word/term/username on a page you can click 'control + F' on windows or 'command + F' on mac to bring up the find tool and insert the word you're looking for.

Niall

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're looking for a specific word/term/username on a page you can click 'control + F' on windows or 'command + F' on mac to bring up the find tool and insert the word you're looking for.

Niall
This is very unpleasant with a large multi-page page thread
This. It was a 28 page thread at 20 posts per page that I was trying to search.

·
Administrator
858 Posts
I can report this to the techs, this could be an issue with the database. Is this happening every time you search a keyword within a thread? or only specific threads?
-Philip

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can report this to the techs, this could be an issue with the database. Is this happening every time you search a keyword within a thread? or only specific threads?
-Philip
Yes, every time. Not limited to a specific thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts