BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my M5 this weekend, and loving it so far, but came to the conclusion when test driving standard cars that, when I got my own, it'd need a backbox delete to free up some V8 noise. Actually the only car I've ever owned that I thought was too quiet!

The concern I have (and I know it's been asked a lot) is drone when cruising on the motorway - I want nice noise when revved, but unobtrusive when cruising. It seems the backbox delete/new tips will do this, but I'd really like to go out in a car that's had it done, back-to-back with my standard car, before I make any changes. Any owners in the SE London/Kent vicinity that have this setup (or the Hayward and Scott setup) that could demonstrate?

Thanks very much

Neal

·
Registered
595 Posts
Speak to Leezamonkey.He has H&S set up.I heard it this weekend.......lovely rumble!!!!

Reactions: NealH

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hi,

I had hayward and scott back boxes custom made with 83 mm tips.
Its bloody loud. If you have neighbours they will get pissed off. Its very TVR rumble to 3000 rpm, after that nascar and it is fcuking loud.
Thats just the back boxes.
There is no droning however, but you touch that throttle and the noise is back.
Also , i never had any issues with them as I was very aware how loud they are but I know shortly after russ bought them off me he had a small brush with the law about them.

I have Van Maanen manifolds, 100 cell cats, supersprint x pipe and standard back boxes. Low rumble up to 2000 rpm then a rasp after that.
Look in youtube under M5_sound_clips.............

hope it helps.

Regards

Nat.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have the back box delete done by Mstyle. I'm in East London so maybe a trek to listen. There is no drone at cruising speed, bit loud for the first 2 mins on a cold start. I love it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi Neil

I am nr ashford ( think we have spoken off a different BMW board ) and have rear silencers removed for pipes

Love the sound it makes from cruise to WOT

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks chaps, much appreciated :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hi there.

I have a set of Haywood and Scott rear pipes for sale if you are interested. As other users have said these make a huge difference and they sound awesome.
I have to pick them up from Sal but if you are interested then let me know and I will pm you my number.
I am located in Maidstone so I can't be too far from you either ;)

Russ

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you could PM me your details that'd be great - I can't send PMs at the moment, but definitely interested.
Cheers
Neal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts