BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
To be honest even though there was one on my old E39, I always thought people talking about the hidden menu on the E60 M5 were being sarcastic.

But i decided to humor them and follow the instructions:
- choose main menu i-drive
- hold controller about 15 sec and than remove
- Turn the controller at 3 clicks on the right
- Turn the controller at 3 clicks on the left
- Turn the controller at 1 click on the right
- Turn the controller at 1 click on the left
- Turn the controller at 1 click on the right
- Press the controller

Since it worked I thought I'd post some photos of information displayed on each screen, the POSITION screen allows you to click the "next 'button to see a few sub-screens showing satellite status etc. I know most of you have probably seen these screens but this is for the benefit of those who either didn't know it existed, didn't believe it was real (me) or don't have an E60 and are just curious.

Please note that nothing can be changed/enabled/activated/reset/etc in this menu it's purely informational unlike the one on the E39's that let you enable 3-D nav view etc.

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OK so if you are also looking over at the M5 forum you will know this already, but the speed shown in the hidden mention above doesn't show a live speed reading just a snapshot of the reading at the time that page loaded.

I've since found some more hidden menu's giving all sorts of info inlcuding a live GPS speed, just follow this link Hidden menu showing live GPS speed [hidden navigation menu]

·
Registered
80 Posts
No cigar

Just gave this a spin and no cigar which prob. means I'm screwing something up... Scoopz, could you check my translation of these steps into "Canadian"?

1. choose main menu i-drive = Get to the menu where the "i" is in the center, and Communications, Entertainment, Navigation, etc are shown around the edge with the "i" highlighted (i.e. just press the "Menu" button on the console)
2. hold controller about 15 sec and than remove = press down on the controller and hold it down for 15 seconds and then release
3. Turn the controller at 3 clicks on the right = push the controller to the right, release, push to the right, release, push to the right, release
4. Turn the controller at 3 clicks on the left= push the controller to the left, release, push to the left, release, push to the left, release
5. Turn the controller at 1 click on the right = push the controller to the right, release
6. Turn the controller at 1 click on the left = push the controller to the left, release
7. Turn the controller at 1 click on the right = push the controller to the right, release
8. Press the controller = press down on the controller and release

When I go through the steps I just end up in the Settings for Nav (i.e. you can see the various car options being selected as I "right" and "left" around...

Craig

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
somebody else wasn't clear on steps to take so I clarified them over in the M5 forum, click here there have been further developments and there are now instructions on how to access the hidden navigation menu here.

- choose main menu i-drive
- hold controller [press it down as in towards the ground] about 15 sec and than remove
- Turn [rotate clockwise as if scrolling through letters] the controller at 3 clicks on the right
- Turn [rotate anti-clockwise as if scrolling through letters]the controller at 3 clicks on the left
- Turn [rotate clockwise as if scrolling through letters]the controller at 1 click on the right
- Turn [rotate anti-clockwise as if scrolling through letters]the controller at 1 click on the left
- Turn [rotate clockwise as if scrolling through letters]the controller at 1 click on the right
- Press the controller [press it down as in towards the ground]

·
Registered
457 Posts
Well, it's quite odd ... but when I do 130 km/h on the HUD I get ~137 km/h displayed on the GPS.

In Germany it is regulated that the speed shown on the speedometer must be higher than the real speed.

Furthermore, at the BMW driver training they measure speed by means of light-barriers, and the speed shown on this device is always lower compared to the HUD speed.

This discrepancy is disturbing to me!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well, it's quite odd ... but when I do 130 km/h on the HUD I get ~137 km/h displayed on the GPS.

In Germany it is regulated that the speed shown on the speedometer must be higher than the real speed.

Furthermore, at the BMW driver training they measure speed by means of light-barriers, and the speed shown on this device is always lower compared to the HUD speed.

This discrepancy is disturbing to me!
Were you driving eastbound or westbound ? Since the GPS satellites are not in geosynchronous orbit, it is necessary to correct for the rotation of the earth, lol.

More seriously, GPS speed in the iDrive will probably still be imperfect because of errors from many causes, e.g. too few satellites in view, atmospheric effects, multipathing, clock errors, etc.

The difference between 130 and 137 km/h is only 2 meters per second. If the iDrive GPS speed is an instantaneous reading, this is probably less than the positional accuracy of the car's GPS hardware.

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So many different speeds to look at now:
  1. Speed on dashboard dial
  2. Speed shown on HUD
  3. Speed (GPS) shown in hidden navigation menu
  4. Speed from ABS sensors in hidden OBC menu
  5. Speed on my Origin B2 GPS unit
    ...not forgetting....
  6. Speed at which I go flying past the other cars