BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To be honest even though there was one on my old E39, I always thought people talking about the hidden menu on the E60 M5 were being sarcastic.

But i decided to humor them and follow the instructions:
- choose main menu i-drive
- hold controller about 15 sec and than remove
- Turn the controller at 3 clicks on the right [rotate clockwise 3 clicks]
- Turn the controller at 3 clicks on the left [rotate anti-clockwise 3 clicks]
- Turn the controller at 1 click on the right [rotate clockwise 1 click]
- Turn the controller at 1 click on the left [rotate anti-clockwise 1 click]
- Turn the controller at 1 click on the right [rotate clockwise 1 click]
- Press the controller

Since it worked I thought I'd post some photos of information displayed on each screen, the POSITION screen allows you to click the "next 'button to see a few sub-screens showing satellite status etc. I know most of you have probably seen these screens but this is for the benefit of those who either didn't know it existed, didn't believe it was real (me) or don't have an E60 and are just curious.

Please note that nothing can be changed/enabled/activated/reset/etc in this menu it's purely informational unlike the one on the E39's that let you enable 3-D nav view etc.

Attachments

·
Moderator Emeritus
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can only access them on the POSITION screen, all other screens are one pagers. When viewing the position screen you push the i-drive controller to the right as if you were trying to access the Assistance window and that will highlight the next button in red as per the image then click the i-dive controller down.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Have you had the dealer do any software upgrades since delivery?

Quite possibly this could the software version loaded on your car...

I skimmed through mine out of curiosity and it showed version number 2.6.6.

FWIW, I recently had a Progman upgrade to V25.

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Scoopz

do you mean "move" the button to left and right or just turn it ( like cycling through letters for input of destination) ?

·
Moderator Emeritus
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sebring_NL I am assuming you are asking about how to access the next and previous buttons once you are in the hidden menu in which case just to clarify i mean MOVE it to the right not rotate it.

[If you were in the main i-drive home screen and wanted to access navigation you would MOVE it to the right, push it eastwards, etc this is what you need to do to jump to the Next button]

·
Moderator Emeritus
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sorry Sebring_NL just re-read your post and I think you are talking about the initial steps to access the hidden menu:

- choose main menu i-drive
- hold controller [press it down as in towards the ground] about 15 sec and than remove
- Turn [rotate clockwise as if scrolling through letters] the controller at 3 clicks on the right
- Turn [rotate anti-clockwise as if scrolling through letters]the controller at 3 clicks on the left
- Turn [rotate clockwise as if scrolling through letters]the controller at 1 click on the right
- Turn [rotate anti-clockwise as if scrolling through letters]the controller at 1 click on the left
- Turn [rotate clockwise as if scrolling through letters]the controller at 1 click on the right
- Press the controller [press it down as in towards the ground]

Also note, if after holding it down for 15 seconds you come to rotate 3-clicks right and it offers resistance and doesn't "click" as if you are scrolling though letters then it has gone wrong, press menu, go back to the
main i-drive screen and start again.

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
ok mate thanks

wout

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thanks for the tip. It works exactly as you said.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I tried the GPS today. I have V25 and it does not give real time value for speed. It can be obrained by changing windows, going to next and again to prev. AT one of these two points the measurement is recorded and shown.

As a side note, very likely just coincidence, the indicator light for automatic wipers died so did my i-pod nano which is no onger to play, even if disconnected from the car.

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Just tried this this afternoon..

Nice to know..Although not very useful..

BTW it does not work that way with the 7-series I-drive, it gives a menu ( that looks like a normal I-drive menu) with some settings for TV reception etc..

Wout

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Ouch, that was not good :-S

I tried the GPS today. I have V25 and it does not give real time value for speed. It can be obrained by changing windows, going to next and again to prev. AT one of these two points the measurement is recorded and shown.

As a side note, very likely just coincidence, the indicator light for automatic wipers died so did my i-pod nano which is no onger to play, even if disconnected from the car.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Gee, I wonder how many of us geeks accessed this!!! I plead guilty.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I did it too... I guess putting on cruize control on the highway (100 or 150 km/h) and then gettting the GPS to show the captured speed should give the error margin... Of course - pitty that no live reading of the speed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts