BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was attempting to update my MkIII nav system firmware to the latest one (had 17.1 before, no split screen, etc.). After the screen said something along the lines of "Software update" and then went blank, the screen would flash every now and the navigation system drive would make some "working" noises. This went on and on and on... for like an hour. As it's supposed to take 5-10 minutes I didn't think a successful outcome was in my future so I turned the car off -- I need to get some sleep. Has this happened to anyone? How did you resolve it? How hosed is my nav system, having gotten stuck in a firmware update attempt?

Any advice y'all can offer is much appreciated. I figure worst case I'll just spend another several hundred bucks on this money pit of a car and get a MkIV nav unit. :rolleyes:

Brian

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
make sure your software is burnt in the correct mode. I think the default burning mode is 1, and that the mark 3 navs need disks burnt in mode 2. (could be the other way around).
Did you get the disk out? That may be the hard part. Push and hold the eject button. But you may need to pull the nav apart to try to push the disk out.
Good luck mate.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Howdy all. I sure wish I knew I had to make sure to burn the CD image in "mode 2" yesterday. :mad: Not one of the many navigation system firmware update how-to/info sites I found and read mentioned this requirement, let alone the risk of basically killing one's MkIII navigation computer by trying a firmware update with a "mode 1" CD. But several people seemed to know this today! :confused2 Oh well.

Trying to get the CD out by pressing the eject button, holding down the eject button, making sweet love to the eject button (well, not really) didn't work. Time to crack it open. Which I did. And I got the CD out. :1: But once I got the computer connected again it wouldn't let me put anything IN! :sad1: Apparently it thinks a CD is still in there or something, because the little plastic "guards" are at attention. :nono:

So now I need a new navigation computer. Yay! :rolleyes: If anyone has a line on a MkIV nav computer let me know. Otherwise I'll take my chances on eBay.

In closing, I'll summarize what I know now that I would really, really have liked to have known yesterday:
  1. To update a MkIII navigation computer's firmware, you need to make sure you're burning a "mode 2" ISO image. Nero Burning Rom allows this. imgburn (the program I used the first time) apparently doesn't (I couldn't find it anyway).
  2. If you aren't sure your navigation computer firmware update CD is a "mode 2" ISO image and you've got a MkIII nav computer, you run the risk of infinite reboot, necessary manual CD extraction, and ultimately, MkIII nav computer death. ouich
Brian

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi all,

I was attempting to update my MkIII nav system firmware to the latest one (had 17.1 before, no split screen, etc.). After the screen said something along the lines of "Software update" and then went blank, the screen would flash every now and the navigation system drive would make some "working" noises. This went on and on and on... for like an hour. As it's supposed to take 5-10 minutes I didn't think a successful outcome was in my future so I turned the car off -- I need to get some sleep. Has this happened to anyone? How did you resolve it? How hosed is my nav system, having gotten stuck in a firmware update attempt?

Any advice y'all can offer is much appreciated. I figure worst case I'll just spend another several hundred bucks on this money pit of a car and get a MkIV nav unit. :rolleyes:

Brian
Nothing to do with the nav, but are you the guy who wrote that awesome Dream Theater "demo" track a while ago, before Train Of Thought? Just wondering from your username... :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing to do with the nav, but are you the guy who wrote that awesome Dream Theater "demo" track a while ago, before Train Of Thought? Just wondering from your username... :)
You mean the DT songwriting contest, based on their charts for Stream of Consciousness from Train of Thought? Yup, that's me. What a crazy connection! I guess I need that "I'm big in Europe." T-shirt! :)

Brian

·
Registered
213 Posts
You mean the DT songwriting contest, based on their charts for Stream of Consciousness from Train of Thought? Yup, that's me. What a crazy connection! I guess I need that "I'm big in Europe." T-shirt! :)

Brian
Cool! I don't know if you're big in Europe, but I'm big on DT. :cheers:

Your track rocked muchly, like /seriously/ for one guy. In fact I have been known to enjoy it more than some of DT's more recent output (that's one of those half-jokes).

I play guitar and write a very little, not much time at the moment, life has been complicated, but making more time every month that goes by ...

Anyway - great that the M5 is such a prog car... :biggrinbounce: Give me a shout if you're passing through the UK anytime, would be great to hook up!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool! I don't know if you're big in Europe, but I'm big on DT. :cheers:
Same here! I actually wrote five songs on James LaBrie's last solo album, Elements of Persuasion. Pick that up if you don't have it -- that's $.10 right into my pocket! :)

Your track rocked muchly, like /seriously/ for one guy. In fact I have been known to enjoy it more than some of DT's more recent output (that's one of those half-jokes).
Hahah, thanks! Check out my website if you get a chance to see what I'm up to these days... There's another instrumental on there that you can download.

Anyway - great that the M5 is such a prog car... :biggrinbounce:
Oh, total prog car. Fairly metal as well!

Give me a shout if you're passing through the UK anytime, would be great to hook up!
Will do! I've actually never been to Europe. One of these days....

B

1 - 10 of 10 Posts