BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Scratches after polishing

6K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  brillson 
#1 ·
Not sure what’s going on but I’m doing more damage then good.
Using brand new Meguiars aplicator pads
Applying Juice swirl remover with one pad and AutoGlym with another and removal with bran new micro fibres from Costco.
No matter how hard or soft I apply it, I’m always ending up with scratches and swirls ?

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See less See more
#6 ·
Orbital buffer or buffer(your preference) and use a glaze before swirl removal, apply and buff off and use a final prep to remove any residue. Then start applying swirl remover and buff off. Then spray final prep or speed prep to wipe off residue between coats. The final prep will help to not scratch before wax is applied. You need the buffer to use your products properly, your hand just can’t do it. Hope this helps. Also there’s that one leg dude that has a tone of videos can’t remember his name, also has a tv show. He has a tone of knowledge, only annoying part is he sells his “brand” constantly. Autogeek.net is his business

#8 ·
Every thing Sunday said I agree with except the application of glaze.

Those towels are great but depending on how much product you have on the paint, it’s removal by using those towels is scratching. You should try using a machine first, and work the product in more, then remove with clean towels. You may also require softer towels for your paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 · (Edited)
I’m not being specific with brands when I say glaze. It always starts some sort of battle. DuPonts rep is who gave me this info and I have used for years, glaze specifically fills certain scratches and swirl remover is closer to a final polish, if that makes sense. Do what ever you want!!
Edit: machine polish is what I’m talking about. I’ve always called it glaze because it says it on the bottle.

#10 ·
What brands of glade and orbital polisher you recommended?
Iv got a good circular polisher that’s good for taking out deep scratches I have no problems with that, it’s the final cut that I always Fx#k up

I got a orbital wax attack unit but don’t that that’s for polishing right ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I've owned these cars since my first one, a 72 Tii. Currently I have a white x5m. Will never own a black bmw again. My black 86 m3 was a bear to get the carnuba right. I worked that paint for 550,000 miles and 20 years. Way too much effort.

I am now exclusively using Meguiar's pure synthetic polymer wax. Its awesome. Would be interested to hear if it does black without the swirls. Hard to tell on white ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.