BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ordering new tires here in the next few days. I am getting either Goodyear F-1's or the PS2's.

My question is - I am paraniod about the install scratching the painted rims. Most of the shops I have talked to seem confident they can install without scratches. They say they use a teflon protector on the rim.

Does anyone have any specific tips or things to ask the installer to minimize damage risk?

I know the installers are pros - but I am just nervous about getting back my rims - which are pristine right now - and seeing gouges.

Some reassurance or tips would be helpful.......

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,535 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I was very wary of that as well and it is my understanding that a special machine is required on certain rims.

For example, I inquired at my local Goodyear store and showed him my car - he said that his machine WOULD scratch my wheels.

I finally went to Fayetteville, NC and was promised that he had the machine that would NOT scratch my rims.

A chain called Ed's tire service - wheels came out spotless.

Don't know if there is an "Ed's" in Wrightsville Beach or Wilmington.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Wrightsville Beast said:
I am ordering new tires here in the next few days. I am getting either Goodyear F-1's or the PS2's.

My question is - I am paraniod about the install scratching the painted rims. Most of the shops I have talked to seem confident they can install without scratches. They say they use a teflon protector on the rim.

Does anyone have any specific tips or things to ask the installer to minimize damage risk?

I know the installers are pros - but I am just nervous about getting back my rims - which are pristine right now - and seeing gouges.

Some reassurance or tips would be helpful.......

Thanks!
I just called up my local performance auto shop and asked them where they get their tires installed when they deliver rims with low profile tires. They recommended a place in town that has the teflon/plastic part on the installer with competent techs. The wheels came out the same as when I gave the car to them. AND they didn't take the car for a spin! Refreshing..

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I've heard it is almost impossible to not scratch the rims. I once read that low profile tires should be mounted from the back side of the rim. If in the event a rim is scratched, then it would face the wheel well. I think I would still be unhappy regardless which side the scratches are.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips everyone.

I finally talked to a local shop (Blacks) that has a special mounting machine that is touchless - meaning it does not touch the rim. They also use special protectors etc. to ensure the rims are not scratched.

I felt better after talking to this guy. Some of the others I spoke to didn't sound very confident about not damaging the rim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts